House Price Crash Forum

Black Friday Shopping

HOLA441
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

What is this, never heard of it before but it seems to be all over the place.

Can't think of anything I particularly want or need right now so no, I won't be going shopping (other than the off licence for some beers). I've never been one for buying stuff for the sake of it just because there's a sale on.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I want to buy a Dell laptop - they regularly have 10% off but, WOW, for this weekend they have an extra 2% off. I will have to think long and hard about that extra £12.

I see Tesco are selling the Chromecast for £18 - which is a good price. Still seems pricey for what it is. Can't believe that people have been paying £30 for these.

Edit: Just popped over to the US Dell site and their deals are 10% to 50% off - nothing remotely near 50% off on the UK site.

HDMI cable is cheaper

HOLA445

Yes, trying to imprint the 'Black Friday' mentality from Stateside, mall punch-ups et al, is quite tricky in the absence of the same sort of deals.

To that end I see ASDA are claiming that their 39" Ultra HD telly is on sale in the UK at the cheapest price 'worldwide', whatever that means with differing picture/electrical standards.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Doesn't this just sum up this entire website.....

"Andy Blackett, 30, an estate agent, who had two trolleys full of bargains. “I got two coffee makers, two tablets, two TVs and a stereo,” he said. “I couldn’t tell you the prices, but I know they’re bargains.”

I thought that was a brilliant quote, he certainly works in the right industry with that mentality what ever price you buy a house at it must be a "bargain"!

HOLA448

Destocking opportunity for tat as well? Looking at the Amazon time-limited deals through the day, it's cat/dog toys, personal grooming electronics, etc.

Ive never bought anything from Amazon. Or ebay.

So is it like a shop then?

HOLA449

Doesn't this just sum up this entire website.....

"Andy Blackett, 30, an estate agent, who had two trolleys full of bargains. I got two coffee makers, two tablets, two TVs and a stereo, he said. I couldnt tell you the prices, but I know theyre bargains.

As an estate agent looking at recent property sales transactions volumes and mortgage approvals he may be better not buying two trolleys of stuff he likely does not need.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Genuinely intrigued by a Chromecast, moving house this weekend and internet might be fast enough to stream HD. #suckerforabargain :lol:

Will it work with a crappy smartphone (Android Samsung Galaxy Mini s5570)?

Better than booting up the laptop and running a cable to the telly? Will wait until installation is complete and I know what speeds we get.

HOLA4412

and to illustrate how dumb these folk are they aren't even getting bargains its just outdated stock. For example the TVs Tesco and Sainsburies are punting are only 720p and are really old models, tv technology is now into OLED and 4k so any manufacturer or distributor is wanna get shot of that stuff before its worthless. If you spend five minutes on the interwebs you can find similar clearance bargains without having to queue outside a Tescos at 2am.

Its the same with most of the black friday clearance stock its just old outdated models they need to get shot of just before they are obsolete.

If they cant even see through these most basic headline grabbing marketing scams its easy to see why we are fooked.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Could someone please tell the british people the word gullible has been taken out the dictionary. :rolleyes:

There was some bloke on radio this morning who said something along the lines of "I used to work in retain and black friday is like any sales events, there might be 1% bargains and the other 99% is just tat the are trying to offload".

I really dislike the the american cultural assimilation of the UK.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

:D

You haven't got a smartphone either have you.

This is a deliberate attempt at turning yourself into a curmudgeonly old fool, turning your back on the world and 'progress'.

I have to say, my in laws got rid of their PC and all things internet because 'they didn't like it'. They experience all sorts of problems dealing with people, accessing info etc. nowadays. Let their experience be a warning to you. You still have a long time on this planet and you are too young to be going down this self destructive isolationist route. ;)

Interesting that - having to follow one trend to still fit in with society. I wonder how long it'll be before you don't get any customer service (that's left) until you know who's in this years x facta final :(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I see Tesco are selling the Chromecast for £18 - which is a good price. Still seems pricey for what it is. Can't believe that people have been paying £30 for these.

I paid £30 and thought it was worth every penny. Bought a couple for my parents too.

Easy and cheap solution to turn a non-smart TV into a smart TV. Big fan of 'em.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

They are putting people in "queues" online for up to an hour or more. Its quite cunning - you wait for an hour - you are not going to just browse and leave without buying.

Also Amazon giving "special" texts to people telling them when things are available. As if Amazon don't have a warehouse sitting full if the shit already !!

Folk are so gullible it's incredible.

Archived