House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Knimbies who say No

Black Friday Shopping

Anyone planning to buy anything, or planning to have a look for a bargain? Is there scope to shoehorn another big shopping day into the year without impacting sales next month?

The promotional emails I've had don't suggest outstanding bargains, perhaps if you want a chance at getting the big discounts you'll have to scrumdown in the flesh.

I'm after a SSD and a new set of 5 inch loose base fluted tart tins. I've not looked to see if they are in any deals anywhere!

Now you've reminded me I'll have a look on amazon and lakeland and then not buy anything!

Whatever discount anyone is offering on anything you want, Sod's Law can guarantee that 3 days after you've bought it they will be offering an even bigger one - Hurry! Ends midnight!

I have recently been caught thus with a couple of Christmas presents, but then if I hadn't bought them at the time, Sod's Law would have guaranteed that they'd have run out of the right colours and sizes.

Whatever discount anyone is offering on anything you want, Sod's Law can guarantee that 3 days after you've bought it they will be offering an even bigger one - Hurry! Ends midnight!

I have recently been caught thus with a couple of Christmas presents, but then if I hadn't bought them at the time, Sod's Law would have guaranteed that they'd have run out of the right colours and sizes.

Whatever discount they are offering you can get anytime in most cases in my experience.

Just make a mental note and when you should you ever want to buy a similar item just use the last sale price to judge what you are prepared to offer.

By and large they will still be making a profit, except on the extreme one-off deals that are there to get the crowds queuing.

Destocking opportunity for tat as well? Looking at the Amazon time-limited deals through the day, it's cat/dog toys, personal grooming electronics, etc.

Been looking at upcoming deals myself and reaching similar conclusion. Won't be buying anything bulky this year and obviously buying nothing a home-owner would buy - just about all my giftees rent; sick of possessions really.

From ebay USA, bought one of my brothers an American Apparel original Dexter 'kill shirt' at 1 day '25% off', at just under $23 delivered, but chose different colour than Dexter's standard Army Green. He can wear it when going on rental viewings and dealing with letting agents and landlords.

American Apparel Henley Thermal Dexter Kills Showtime Long Sleeve T Shirt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121085331192

It's like the UK journos are aching for a scrap in a UK store, to make a story, like has occurred in US Black Fridays.

I dont recall shops being closed yesterday.

All those queueing up didnt buy yesterday...nor did they get fat on turkey.

Guardian 28/11/14

'“I got a Dyson but I don’t even know if I want it. I just picked it up,” Louise Haggerty, a 56-year-old hairdresser and waitress, said of her 1am trip to the Black Friday sales. “It was mental in there. It was crazy. It was absolutely disgusting, disgusting.”

Haggerty had ventured out to the 24-hour Sainsbury’s in Harringay, north-east London, with a friend in the hope of snapping up a bargain flat screen TV. “But so many people pushed in the queue we didn’t have a chance,” she said. “The poor woman who was second in the queue was pushed out by the crowd of youths, she didn’t get anything.

“People were behaving like animals, it was horrible,” she said. “I only saw two security guards.”

Frustrated with not being able to buy a Blaupunkt 40” TV reduced from £299.99 to £149.99, Haggerty rushed to pick up a Dyson Animal Vac, down from £319.99 to £159.99. “I don’t even know how much it costs, I don’t know even know if I’m going to buy it. I just wanted something,” she said. “There are lads in there three, four, five tellies. It’s not fair.”

One of those lads was Andy Blackett, 30, an estate agent, who had two trolleys full of bargains. “I got two coffee makers, two tablets, two TVs and a stereo,” he said. “I couldn’t tell you the prices, but I know they’re bargains.”

But his mate Henry Fischer, a 19-year-old student, wasn’t as successful. “Someone snatched my telly from me – it’s cos I’m the smaller one.”

Blackett, Fischer and some mates had driven to Sainsbury’s at 12.45am after retreating from the “bedlam” of Tesco’s 24-hour Lea Valley store, where the Black Friday sale started at midnight. “Tesco was scary so we came here instead,” Blackett said.

More than a dozen police officers attended the Tesco store on Glover Drive, Upper Edmonton, as scuffles broke out between eager and frustrated shoppers. Customers were seen tearing down cardboard hoardings put in place to hold back sale items until the stroke of midnight.

Tesco delayed the sale of its most popular sale items – TVs – for almost an hour until police brought the situation under control. One officer was overheard criticising the manager for failing to ensure adequate security and suggested the sale should be suspended altogether.

The Tesco store is across the road from an Ikea that was the scene of riots when it opened with a midnight sale in 2005.

Police intervened at other stores including Tesco in Willesden and Surrey Quays, and an Asda in Capital Way, Edgeware, just before the doors opened at midnight. Greater Manchester Police said at least two people have been arrested at Black Friday sales events already this morning.

The force said on its Twitter feed: “Keep calm people!”. South Wales Police also reported receiving a number of calls from staff at Tesco stores after they became “concerned due to the volume of people who had turned up to sale events”.

If your going to Tesco Silverburn, don't bother. Police have shut it down due to fighting over
sales.
— Craig Lin (@CraigLin)
https://twitter.com/CraigLin/status/538127059969916928' rel="external nofollow">

One of the first purchasers of a flatscreen TV, when TV sales began just before 1am, was James Alled, 30, a businessman, who bought two and was already negotiating to sell one of them to someone further down the queue. “I bought them for £250, I’ll sell it to you for £350, £300 cash,” he said.

Further back in the queue Christine Ball, 62, wasn’t impressed. “I got here at 10.15pm and I’m further back now than when I got here” she said. “None of that lot know what a queue is.”

Ball, who like most of the shoppers had not heard of the US-inspired Black Friday sales until this year, said she had come out especially to buy her grandson a TV for Christmas. “Not one of those massive ones, just a normal one at £100 or so,” she said.

In her basket was a pint of semi-skimmed and a loaf of bread. “Telly, milk and bread – the necessities,” she said.

Mel Mehmet, 23, had been to Black Friday sales last year and had expected queues, but said the atmosphere in Tesco scared her this time. “It’s crazy really having it a midnight – the police must have more important things to do at night than be called to sales.

“We’re going to PC World first thing, their sale starts at 8am.”'

I didn't realise Tesco were this hard up for good publicity.

Saw a couple of chaps struggling to carry a massive TV home this morning, at about 7.10am

It was boxed so presumably paid for!

The make was not one I've heard of before, quality item I'm sure...

Electrical items are so cheap now anyway, why make an impulse purchase?

I want to buy a Dell laptop - they regularly have 10% off but, WOW, for this weekend they have an extra 2% off. I will have to think long and hard about that extra £12.

I see Tesco are selling the Chromecast for £18 - which is a good price. Still seems pricey for what it is. Can't believe that people have been paying £30 for these.

Edit: Just popped over to the US Dell site and their deals are 10% to 50% off - nothing remotely near 50% off on the UK site.

I've always had this sneaking suspicon that British started eating turkeys after the war as they took the left overs from America's Thanksgiving holiday.

I am pretty sure that the first Thanksgiving was in Plymouth after the population saw that boat-load of religious nutters sail over the horizon :)

I will do my shopping in a week or so when the supermarkets start slashing as they realise that their customers have already bought their presents.

I'll do mine in a month or so, when they realise all this talk of a recovery is bs.....