House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Karma Hits Foxtons

The lawyer goes on to allege that mechanics at the garage had put in the wrong type of spark plugs when they serviced the car.

He claims: “The spark plugs fitted worked at too high a temperature and created the risk of fire.

Drivel

He is claiming £700k compensation for the wrecked car, plus additional damages for storage and “loss of enjoyment” of the vehicle - one of only 764 ever built.

i wonder if the army of bomads rinsed by foxtons can claim compo for the loss of enjoyment they have to endure due to a life time of debt servitude

He is claiming £700k compensation for the wrecked car, plus additional damages for storage and “loss of enjoyment” of the vehicle - one of only 764 ever built.

i wonder if the army of bomads rinsed by foxtons can claim compo for the loss of enjoyment they have to endure due to a life time of debt servitude

Gosh, the rich never have enough money do they, always want more and more.

Am I missing something here? If I picked my car up from a service that I probably paid through the nose for I would expect it to get further than a mile before it caught fire.

It's not as though a mile on that stretch of the a40 allows you to get up to huge speeds either.

As much as we all dislike foxtons I don't see how this is anything other than negligence from HR Owen. Then again I'm not a mechanic and know very little about cars...

The only thing I can see how this could be the owners fault is if they had not had the vehicle serviced or had ignored previous advice to use it.

I think we need to ignore the numbers for the minute, who it is, and how much people have. The courts would need to look at the evidence.

What would people's attitudes be if the same thing happened to a £500 value 10 year old Vauxhall Corsa?

He has gone through insurance. His insurers are suing HR Owen's insurers. The same as if you get hit in your car by Dave Smith, the subsequent court case would be you v Dave Smith, not Direct Ljne v AXA.

I should be surprised if his insurers had not exercised their rights of subrogation, I.e. They have paid out to Jon Hunt and are now trying to recover that from HR Owen (their insurers).

From the picture in the thread, it looks like the front bank caught fire to start with, probably from a fuel line leak. The fuel line on the front bank runs directly over the exhaust manifold, rather than in the valley of the engine - hot manifolds and petrol mix rather nicely. The bangs were probably misfires as 6 cylinders were getting inadequate fuel. Can't see how it could be spark plugs or carb adjustment, unless the latter includes not tightening the unions.

Outcome probably depends on what work was done.

It makes me weep seeing any 1970s car get destroyed like that. Doesn't matter if it's a Lamborghini or a Morris Marina.