House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

'letting Agent Charged £1,260 To Change Two Names – Then Evicted Us'

A nasty business, but this quote says it all really:

A spokesman for Shelter, the housing charity, said: “If the letting agent will not negotiate and the fees seem very high, you could choose to find another property and another letting agent.”

Oh, and always read the contract before you sign it.

Hmm high fees are fine, but something like that is ridiculous, and any sensible person owing the letting agency would do well to wavier and review the policy if they are to get repeat customers.

Another business that treats their customers with contempt, that we've all heard about, are now paying for the consequences.

Bah but what do I know. Abdul has run that agency for 18 years. Perhaps thats London for you. Charge whatever you like, like he says, theres a long line of tenants chucking £50 notes at him.

Edited by 200p

I would guess that the agent almost certainly did not tell the landlord the truth about this situation. The landlord's interests are best served by keeping good tenants. The agent just wants churn every six months and arbitrary fees. Evictions and new tenant searches are goldmines for agents. Anyone finding themselves in a situation like this should go over the head of the agent and make sure that the landlord knows what's happening.

(Incidentally, I would guess that the agent almost certainly never tells the truth, because he is an agent.)

Another business that treats their customers with contempt, that we've all heard about, are now paying for the consequences.

People who had high food bills, got their Lidl and Aldi moment.

Will renters get their "Lidl and Aldi" industry disruptive moment. And how could that come about...

In this circumstance I'd write direct to the LL and ask if he knows he's about to face a void brought about by a rapacious LA.

Most LLs will side with proven good tenants.

In this circumstance I'd write direct to the LL and ask if he knows he's about to face a void brought about by a rapacious LA.

What does the landlord care. Providing there are no breaks in revenue or the revenue increases and the property doesn't require his attention/being destroyed. The landlord really isn't bothered who is in the property or how the agent behaves.

What does the landlord care. Providing there are no breaks in revenue or the revenue increases and the property doesn't require his attention/being destroyed. The landlord really isn't bothered who is in the property or how the agent behaves.

If I received a revenge eviction notice, I would refuse to move out, but keep on paying the rent. I bet they would not bother to evict you.

Too right. When our LA became annoying, the LL sacked them.

Does the agency have a right to threaten eviction, surely that's the exclusive domain of the landlord?

How many changes involve *zero* break in revenue? And if you're a good rent payer then what LL wants to exchange that for the unknown?

Remember the LL gets no benefit from either the charges or any voids or tenant swaps. The LA is putting a load of risk his way for zero gain. And to cap it all will then expect the LL to fund eviction etc. Because, whatever the LA waffles about it's the LL who evicts as the contract is with him.

How many changes involve *zero* break in revenue? And if you're a good rent payer then what LL wants to exchange that for the unknown?

Remember the LL gets no benefit from either the charges or any voids or tenant swaps. The LA is putting a load of risk his way for zero gain. And to cap it all will then expect the LL to fund eviction etc. Because, whatever the LA waffles about it's the LL who evicts as the contract is with him.

The the list of waiting tenants is true, such as in London, it might well be virtually risk free.

A lot of letting agencies offer income guarantees for landlords and do full property management. So any gaps in tenancies is covered by the agent anyway. In this case the agent probably changed the extra fee to cover the expected void from the eviction or just plain expected the tenant to move out after being charged so much for the contract change.

The landlord isn't benevolent. In London especially where the mentality seems to be to pack people in to the smallest possible space, the demand is high and people seem to put up with any old rubbish, it really is the factory farming of the letting industry. It doesn't matter how badly you behave, another mug will be along in a minute who is prepared to move in the same day, probably without ever viewing the place.

Edited by Squeeky