House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sukuinage

Tracing Ww2 Soldier

Hi,

looking for a bit of advice here. My cousin is trying to trace his grandfather's whereabouts in the early 1940's I've looked on the National Archive website and seen that it is possible to get a soldier's records from their regiment but my cousin doesn't even know what branch of the services his grandfather was in never mind find the correct regiment. Does anyone have an idea how to go about finding out information from name and DoB? The grandfather has been dead for around 30 years and his son, my cousin's father, was estranged from him and is now in a nursing home anyway so there is no help available from the rest of the family. My cousin should be able to access service records as next of kin if he finds the service number but he hasn't a clue where to start at the moment.

Thought the HPC knowledge base might find a solution.

You could try searching family history websites such as ancestry.co.uk. basic searches are free and they have some military records

If he was mentioned in dispatches you might find his name on the London Gazette website.

His military records might be available in the National Archives.

You could even start by Googling his name.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately his name is a pretty common Scottish one and googling hasn't helped. His records should be available in the national archives but without knowledge of the regiment it is proving difficult to find.

Hi,

looking for a bit of advice here. My cousin is trying to trace his grandfather's whereabouts in the early 1940's I've looked on the National Archive website and seen that it is possible to get a soldier's records from their regiment but my cousin doesn't even know what branch of the services his grandfather was in never mind find the correct regiment. Does anyone have an idea how to go about finding out information from name and DoB? The grandfather has been dead for around 30 years and his son, my cousin's father, was estranged from him and is now in a nursing home anyway so there is no help available from the rest of the family. My cousin should be able to access service records as next of kin if he finds the service number but he hasn't a clue where to start at the moment.

If the grandfather received any basic service medals, useful details may be engraved on the face of the medal, the rear, on the edge of the medal, or on the box it arrived in (if still extant).

Step one is get his exact full name. Check 1911 census on one of the free sites (Familysearch.org etc). Can you assume he joined his local regiment?

Lastly, contact your local Family History Society or similar. They are experts, have all the subscription search sites to hand, and for a fiver or so will happily search with you for anyone in any area of the UK.

Do you know

Birthdate, place (or even birthday without the year) - you say you have his DoB

Marriage date, place

Death date, place - obtain a certificate

Names of any siblings

Names of either parent

Cousins father's birth certificate would likely give the occupation of his grandfather. Also, mother's maidenname. From this you might find their wedding (if any) using the wedding indexes. The wedding certificate would in turn give the bride & groom's father's name & occupation, and bride & grooms addresses.

Your cousins father's birth certificate could give his grandfather's address - he may have been born at home

DoB could be a good start on the ancestry.co.uk website. If you can find a birth with his name.

Unfortunately births are indexed by quarter year, so you would possibly have to find likely births in the index and obtain certificates to check if the birth date is correct - expensive.

If he was born after 1911 you will have to wait to 2021 to see the 1921 census.

Do you even know if he served in WWII at all?

How do you know that he was in the military? He could have been in a reserved occupation - factory, steelworks, railways, fisheries, farming, etc, etc?

I would try the local archive in the local council and spend some time going through the local newspapers of that time - you'd be surprised how many photos and names appear of local boys when they signed up.

That would probably give you the military branch he was in and, if army, then his regiment.

My grandfather was in two reserved occupations in both World wars. He was a chiropodist in WW1, and then a ferret hyponotiser in the second.

My grandfather was in two reserved occupations in both World wars. He was a chiropodist in WW1, and then a ferret hyponotiser in the second.

My Uncle was a fighter ace!

He was shot down over Berlin.

Just after takeoff.

Hi,

A minimum you would need to proceed with any investigation would be the chaps Army number, a rank at a specific date would also assist greatly.

If you can locate these then army records/public record office should be able to assist you. Without them and a common name you in are in wall and head banging territory.

That number is the key to unlocking all of this.

As an aside I served in the military till 1995. Last year I sent off a short letter asking for a copy of my discharge certificate as evidence so I could join one ex military discount type club things.

About a fortnight later I get a letter saying the would process my claim in the fullness of time but there was a backlog.

This year (about a year after the original request) a large recorded delivery parcel arrived, quite surprised as I was not expecting anything. It was from Army Records and contained copies of pretty much everything which was in my military file, annual medical reports, course reports, even BFT and APWT passes and medal award criteria. All the way to my original enlistment paperwork (back to 1976) in 18 years service.

So the chances are good they will have something, the trick is of course getting enough information to give them a fighting chance to look for it.

If you (or a member of the family) has any of the old chaps WW2 medals his regimental number and rank at date of medal issue is often to be found engraved around the edge. That may be a place to start? Even a marriage certificate from back then will carry the chaps Regimental number, (provided he was in the Military when he got married)

What was your best bft out of interest ^

Pass, (first attempt) all of them..... Was pretty nifty with the SLR so passed Annual weapons test first time most years as well. On certain ranges if you got right down into the corner of the fire trench you could put a single round through 100 and 200 metre target... Those spare rounds came in handy if you missed one at 300 metres.

Used to stop for a smoke half way round... <_<

I was thinking bft as in basic fitness !!

Badic Firearms test is bft too I presume ?

SLR - old school :)

My Uncle was a fighter ace!

He was shot down over Berlin.

Just after takeoff.

He was a pee fetish fister!

I was thinking bft as in basic fitness !!

Badic Firearms test is bft too I presume ?

SLR - old school :)

Basic Fitness Test.

Annual Personal Weapons Test

Self Loading Rifle, (The King of Rifles).

Basic Fitness Test.

Annual Personal Weapons Test

Self Loading Rifle, (The King of Rifles).

Well I knew two out of three :)

And apologies for the off topic drift !! ^