House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Phil Hughes

I used to be fast bowler and did deploy the short ball. Once I put the wicketkeeper in hospital but never the batsman. Remarkable that this never happened in the 70s when there was no head gear and the West indies had five super quickies in Holding, Roberts, Garner and co....and the Aussies had Lillie and Thompson. Mike Brearley was the first to wear improvised head gear about 1977, a weird plastic skull cap under his cloth cap that looked like hair.

The worst injury I can recall at international level was someone getting hit a short leg, now a helmeted position.

Shocking news.

This was a real freak injury though. He wasn't hit on the head, but on the side of the neck - in a place not covered by the helmet in any event.

He was "through the shot" as i understand it.

A slow bouncer.

So he was basically facing long leg when it hit him.

No helmet available today protects that area.

As Nasser has just said on Sky Spts News, short leg fielders are vulnerable to this injury as they often turn their heads when a pull shot is coming their way. At least a fielders helmet might be r- designed

The helmet designers have a job on their hands improving safety while maintaining mobility for batsmen however.

There were already re-designs going on after Broad was hit through the grille last year. looks like they will be straight back to the drawing board now.

I've been hit square on in the grille twice playing amateur league cricket, even at my level, its not nice.

Not from bouncers but from full length balls rearing up due to ropey council wickets etc.

There is still a level of machismo in our amateur leagues, where a player will march to the wicket sans skidlid.

I'm guessing i won't be seeing quite so much of this next season in Sunday Division 1 Dorset.

On the side of the neck, yes. Not actually a head injury. The blow ruptured an artery in the neck, leading to massive brain bleeding.