House Price Crash Forum
HOUSEHUNTER

House Prices 'will Continue To Rise' ............discuss

House prices will continue to rise, say lenders ...Guardian Unlimited...Hilary Osborne

Tuesday December 6, 2005.

Views please.

if you belive it, _househunter_better buy now while you still can.

I'll take my chances ;)

House prices will continue to rise, say lenders ...Guardian Unlimited...Hilary Osborne

Views please.

Yes thought this was a bit desperate and I believe it also came out before the Pre-Budget Report.

The whole tone of the article is rather odd. CML expects a rise of 4% but offer no reason for it and at the same time expect a fall in volume of over 20%. So as posted elsewhere why is this market the only one anywhere that can defy simple laws of supply and demand?

They also go on to say that the fall in transactions will be offset by remortgaging. Reckon it is going to be extremely difficult to MEW a BTL whose value is dramatically under water. Far more significant news IMHO was the fact that one major BTL lender will now not lend on new-build property at all. Idle over-optimistic speculation versus cold hard business reality.

This is a desperate little report with no hard facts put forward by a trade body some of whose own members cannot reveal the real situation without running the risk of breaking Stock Exchange rules.

what about................

'House prices to pick up in 2006'

This is Money

6 December

www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/house-prices/article.html?in_article_id=405537&in_page_id=57

Oddly enough they are experiencing technical difficulties on the thisismoney.co.uk website so unable to read your link.

However without seeing it I think I can guess the gist.

Buy if you want to Househunter you will find enough encouragement on the "bull" side from EAs and financial journalists who spend their time being lunched by people with a misplaced vested interest in an artificially high housing market and in 2 or 3 years time no-one on this website will know what happened to you.

However if you wish my advice I would suggest any rises will be modest and characteristic of any asset class at the fag-end of a bull market. Once you factor in stamp duty legals mortgage arrangement fees valuations etc and the loss of flexibility that occurs when you buy a property in a flat to falling market - it will IMHO cost you considerably more than having the luxury of waiting and biding your time.

Good luck.

I did not suggest that I was going to buy now, even though I wish prices were such that I could buy something of a suitable standard for myself . I just wanted some opinions on the latest headlines. If you look at 'Newsnow' under UK housing market, there are a number of headlines suggesting that house prices are to rise in 2006. I have been waiting for a house price crash or at least a reduction of some sort since 1999, when I sold my property in London and began renting. I am waiting patiently, I just wonder, sometimes, if I am doing the right thing?

Guest Charlie The Tramp
I have been waiting for a house price crash or at least a reduction of some sort since 1999, when I sold my property in London and began renting. I am waiting patiently, I just wonder, sometimes, if I am doing the right thing?

Houses were still a fair price in 1999. Surely you did not STR then hoping they were going back down to 1995 prices. You can`t be real. ;)

You hard earned savings are getting progressively more worthless. Houseprices will carry on rising into 2006.

This pathetic comfort from the coming houseprice crash and utter drivel posted, denying facts like immigration etc.. is preventing real anger leading to action. How many of you would considier unionisation to ensure a slice of the massive increases in wealth the propertied are getting through your flat wages?

The UK's net wealth increased from 5000billion in 2004 to 5800billion in 2005 - a rise of 12%. All of that rise went to the propertied class.

Houseprices will likely continue to rise. You are working for nothing as your wages cannot keep pace with the rises!

The only way I can see the large slice of the workforce having a normal chance at life is to unionise aggressively, something that is out of vogue now, but it only takes a moment to track down your trade union and join and then start putting pressure on the leadership

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/unionfinder/search.php?

Views please.

Translated -

"We want high house prices to rise even further says Halifix (lenders), as our corporate profit demands from shareholders depend on ever-rising prices & the subsequent profits made from prices remaining high- thus House prices will NEVER fall & will always rise"

You hard earned savings are getting progressively more worthless. Houseprices will carry on rising into 2006.

Like you say, house prices will continue to rise, they always do. :-)

So take this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-487...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Been on the market 3 months now. You can see it fall back over £100K in five listings on Rightmove alone. Then take a drive past it yesterday as I did - it's changed EA's yet again: Statons, this time. Now go find it on their website (www.statons.com) and you'll see it listed for £200K less than the initial Rightmove price! And I guess it will finally sell for £550 or so. That's a nice little drop of £400K from it's intitial "we must be in peak 2004 land" price.

Still, what's a £400K loss? Nothing, really...

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

Not whilst a proportion of them are in Gold, they're not. ;)

Yes I remember something like this in 1990. "Get In Now" or you never will....what happened some people who bought into that did get in then, got repossessed 2 years later and were unable to get a loan at the start of the boom in 1996.

One thing people forget is that people buying in 1995/96 had good deposits after the high interest rates, hardly any debt (used to have uni grants in the 80s) not much credit debt plus it was the end of the baby generation boom those born 1964 and b4. Plus property was well priced you could pick up a 3/4 bedroom semi detached in Bromley for 80K.

One thing in 2006 who will be buying ? and there will be more sellers than buyers and it will still be a Buyers Market as of now.

This pathetic comfort from the coming houseprice crash and utter drivel posted, denying facts like immigration etc.. is preventing real anger leading to action. How many of you would considier unionisation to ensure a slice of the massive increases in wealth the propertied are getting through your flat wages?

The UK's net wealth increased from 5000billion in 2004 to 5800billion in 2005 - a rise of 12%. All of that rise went to the propertied class.

Houseprices will likely continue to rise. You are working for nothing as your wages cannot keep pace with the rises!

The only way I can see the large slice of the workforce having a normal chance at life is to unionise aggressively, something that is out of vogue now, but it only takes a moment to track down your trade union and join and then start putting pressure on the leadership

Imigration and new births in this country is outstripped by deaths..

Population is dropping.

It is however drastically moving toward london and the south east..

Next.