House Price Crash Forum

Petition To Stop New Nimbys Complain About Existing Noise

SarahBell

HOLA441

Introduce mandatory noise complaint waivers for anyone who buys/rents property within close distance of music venue http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70689

To

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/neighbours-centre-night-day-cafe-7615757

"A couple at the centre of a long-running noise pollution row with neighbours Night and Day Cafe are moving out.

The pair claim they must leave their flat because loud music at the iconicManchester venue is damaging their health.

The residents told the M.E.N they handed in their notice and plan to leave not only their apartment, but leave the city at the end of August."

HOLA442

I will sign up for that.

As a part time DJ there is nothing more annoying that venues being fitted with a noise limiter because a bunch of NUMBY's have build or moved into property nearby and complain because they have moved next to a wedding venue.

I have full sympathy for anyone living in a property who then has disturbance imposed on them, however there is a planning system in place to prevent such things.

HOLA443

I've signed it. I saw this on the book of face and was going to start a thread about it, but I'm glad there's one already.

I've played in bands for years and I've seen a number of thriving live music venues get into trouble after flats were built next to them - or even in one case above them - and most of those ended up closing. Though some limp on repeatedly closing to spend endless thousands on another building project to install extra sound insulation. If there are new builds next to an existing music venue then I can't see why the developers aren't obliged to build them with appropriate sound insulation as part of their planning approval.

HOLA444

I've signed it. I saw this on the book of face and was going to start a thread about it, but I'm glad there's one already.

I've played in bands for years and I've seen a number of thriving live music venues get into trouble after flats were built next to them - or even in one case above them - and most of those ended up closing. Though some limp on repeatedly closing to spend endless thousands on another building project to install extra sound insulation. If there are new builds next to an existing music venue then I can't see why the developers aren't obliged to build them with appropriate sound insulation as part of their planning approval.

Or fund the sound insulation of the venue itself, same principle really

(They build flats in a cool part of Manchester and then complain about the very elements of the place that make it cool in the first place)

HOLA445

Typo?

There are innumerate cases of people knowingly moving within close proximity of live music venues, only to try to have their licenses revoked or have them closed completely when they take exception to the noise.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Similarly, people who buy a house on a main road then moan about the traffic (too fast, to heavy, too many, etc.).

Actual case in Devon a few years ago - couple who had recently retired there near the coast wrote to the local paper complaining about the noise of air-sea rescue aircraft on training exercises at night. Locals were not amused. Apparently they received such a volley of hate mail, and there was so much antipathy towards them, they sold up and left the area soon afterwards.

HOLA448

Similarly, people who buy a house on a main road then moan about the traffic (too fast, to heavy, too many, etc.).

A load of new builds went up around the airfield I'm based at and they sold like hot cakes. But as soon as the people moved in they started to complain about the noise from the aircraft. Didn't they see it when they went to look at their house? I mean they only have to drive at least half a mile past a massive perimeter fence plastered with "Airfield" signs.......

HOLA449

Introduce mandatory noise complaint waivers for anyone who buys/rents property within close distance of music venue http://[/size]epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70689

To

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/neighbours-centre-night-day-cafe-7615757

"A couple at the centre of a [/size]long-running noise pollution row with neighbours Night and Day Cafe are moving out.[/size]

The pair claim they must leave their flat because loud music at the iconicManchester venue is damaging their health.

The residents told the M.E.N they handed in their notice and plan to leave not only their apartment, but leave the city at the end of August."

Presume it's the same people who moved in next door to the venue then complained the council. Why can't they just admit to themselves they got it wrong and move out quietly, instead of moaning to the papers? The M.E.N. will print anything these days.

HOLA4410

Actual case in Devon a few years ago - couple who had recently retired there near the coast wrote to the local paper complaining about the noise of air-sea rescue aircraft on training exercises at night. Locals were not amused. Apparently they received such a volley of hate mail, and there was so much antipathy towards them, they sold up and left the area soon afterwards.

Pricing out the locals and then trying to get them killed

Nice

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I once took a phone call when working in a local authority call centre from recent house buyers complaining about train noise.

I plotted their address on the GIS and saw it was called Railway Cottage and was 10m away from the main line between London and Cambridge. 8 trains an hour from dawn until the early hours.

The wanted someone to do something about it.

Took all my restraint not to laugh. What did they think the noise levels would be like when they bought it?!

HOLA4413

I once took a phone call when working in a local authority call centre from recent house buyers complaining about train noise.

I plotted their address on the GIS and saw it was called Railway Cottage and was 10m away from the main line between London and Cambridge. 8 trains an hour from dawn until the early hours.

The wanted someone to do something about it.

Took all my restraint not to laugh. What did they think the noise levels would be like when they bought it?!

It's amazing they even thought they had rights in this respect.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

i will pass this round my car nut friends, too many racing Circuits have either closed or about to due to noise restrictions not allowing certain types of racing.

Most racing circuits in the UK now have a 100db limit, which is actually lower than MoT/government regulations. there are perfectly legal sports and sporty cars, that are as standard, non modified from factory which are too loud to be driven fast on a number of motor racing circuits. madness

HOLA4416

i will pass this round my car nut friends, too many racing Circuits have either closed or about to due to noise restrictions not allowing certain types of racing.

Most racing circuits in the UK now have a 100db limit, which is actually lower than MoT/government regulations. there are perfectly legal sports and sporty cars, that are as standard, non modified from factory which are too loud to be driven fast on a number of motor racing circuits. madness

That's mental. There a lot of countryside to go round!