House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Police Leaflets Tell Commuters To 'run, Hide And Tell' In Event Of Mumbai-Style Terror Attack

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/police-leaflets-tell-commuters-to-run-hide-and-tell-in-event-of-mumbaistyle-terror-attack-9884019.html

Commuters are being handed leaflets telling them to “run, hide and tell” in the event of a Mumbai-style terror attack in the capital.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) commissioned the flyers, which have been called “scaremongering” by some critics, as part of an awareness campaign.

With pictures of office workers running down stairs, hiding in the dark and anxiously calling police, they instruct travellers on what to do in a “firearms and weapons attack”.

“Make a plan now and stay safe”, the text says, telling travellers to exit danger areas if gunfire is heard, hide and alert authorities.

Chris Irvine, a Ukip counsellor for Rochester, called it “disgraceful scaremongering”.

“Extraordinary leaflet from Acpo being distributed in London,” he wrote on Twitter. “Words fail me.”

Anyone on here got one of the leaflets?

Is this like the old duck and cover for a nuclear attack?

Appalling advice which will do enormous damage to terrorist relations. If you're caught up in a Mumbai style attack, remember that they are more scared of you than you are of them; that's why they do it. We should be telling people to engage, not run away.

Appalling advice which will do enormous damage to terrorist relations. If you're caught up in a Mumbai style attack, remember that they are more scared of you than you are of them; that's why they do it. We should be telling people to engage, not run away.

You mean have a leaflet stating that an AK47 holds between 10 and 40 rounds dependent on the magazine is highly inaccurate when fired rapidly and if everyone charges to lynch them, causalities will be kept to a minimum and people justice is acceptable?

Hmmm... I wonder if you would be so bold if you were face to face with an armed terrorist.

I don't see any benefit to this leaflet at all.

Except, of course, someone got paid to print it. Who was it? How much did they get paid? Are they, by any chance, connected to an ACPO member or are an ex-copper?

And lets not forget ACPO is a private company, not a government body

It is scaremongering although probably not deliberately so, more likely the result of some clueless moron thinking that it's useful (or ticks the right boxes at any event). It's another thing where the odds of being caught up in are absolutely tiny but someone over-reacts anyway. The reason I think there's nothing more sinister than stupidity is because this just looks like yet another case of society's complete and utter inability to grasp risk and probability, and TPTB aren't any better at that than anyone else.

One of the prices you pay for living surrounded by bed-wetting idiots.

It's hard to imagine any more fatuous "advice", maybe they could leaflet coastal areas with "In the event you come to a cliff edge, stop moving forward.", or swimming pools with "In the event you find yourself under water, come to the surface to breathe", or restaurants with "In the event you finish your meal and are still hungry, don't eat the cutlery"...

It sounds an awful lot like it. They have not mentioned fitting yourself inside a bin liner and lying at the side of the road ready for collection though.

It is scaremongering although probably not deliberately so, more likely the result of some clueless moron thinking that it's useful (or ticks the right boxes at any event). It's another thing where the odds of being caught up in are absolutely tiny but someone over-reacts anyway. The reason I think there's nothing more sinister than stupidity is because this just looks like yet another case of society's complete and utter inability to grasp risk and probability, and TPTB aren't any better at that than anyone else.

One of the prices you pay for living surrounded by bed-wetting idiots.

It's hard to imagine any more fatuous "advice", maybe they could leaflet coastal areas with "In the event you come to a cliff edge, stop moving forward.", or swimming pools with "In the event you find yourself under water, come to the surface to breathe", or restaurants with "In the event you finish your meal and are still hungry, don't eat the cutlery"...

I think the government is exposing itself to a tremendous amount of liability claims by not printing those leaflets.

Chris Irvine, a Ukip counsellor for Rochester, called it “disgraceful scaremongering”.

They called up an expert then.

IIRC one or two members of the public did try to reason with the killers of Fusilier Rigby before the police arrived.

The French lady from Helston does not seem to realise when not to get involved in a situation. Seems to have fallen out with everybody and detained under the mental health act.

HELSTON heroine Ingrid Loyau-Kennett was detained under the mental health act on Monday after police were concerned for her safety.

She had been questioned by officers about allegedly making abusive and racist comments to a black member of staff at Tesco in Helston.

Ms Loyau-Kennett, who is half Scottish half French, allegedly told a pharmacist that he “should not be allowed in England and should be working in Nigeria”.

According to the Sunday Mirror, security guards then intervened and marched Ms Loyau-Kennett out of the building on Friday night.

Ms Loyau-Kennett was dubbed the Angel of Woolwich after she confronted the murderers of Fusilier Lee Rigby in Woolwich last summer.

She tried to reason with blood-stained killers Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale before they were arrested by armed police.

She was widely praised, given bravery awards and medals and even David Cameron said she “spoke for us all” by standing up to extremism.

In Helston however, she fell out with neighbours about the building of a new children’s playground next to her home in Bulwark Road.

A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called to the Bulwark estate at around lunchtime on Monday over concerns for the welfare of a woman.

“Following the incident a 49-year-old woman from Helston has been detained under the Mental Health Act to the Royal Cornwall Hospital and released into the care of the NHS.”

Tesco said of last Friday’s alleged racist incident: “We are aware of an incident which took place at our Helston store on Friday. Colleagues at the store are helping the police with their inquiries.”

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Helston-heroine-Ingrid-Loyau-Kennett-detained/story-21317737-detail/story.html

rkzrb8.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/police-leaflets-tell-commuters-to-run-hide-and-tell-in-event-of-mumbaistyle-terror-attack-9884019.html

Anyone on here got one of the leaflets?

Aren't the terrorists after the real culprits MP's, Bankers etc?

2377DA3000000578-2849057-Police_have_bee

"Make a plan now" - what does that mean?

I stayed in a London hotel recently, should I have equipped myself with a rope ladder or something?

Also, should your plan include hiding with a slightly tanned skinned gentleman with a moustache and beard.

Maybe that should be the plane - carry a fake beard around with you.

"Make a plan now" - what does that mean?

I stayed in a London hotel recently, should I have equipped myself with a rope ladder or something?

And a toilet snorkel.

Aren't the terrorists after the real culprits MP's, Bankers etc?

You would hope so... but they probably would go after the ordinary people... as ordinary people do not have men with guns protecting them.

When I saw this story earlier in the day without paying attention I thought that the leaflets had actually been produced by terrorists who were warning people to run and hide. Instead the fear is being spread by the authorities.