House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Clegg Says Tax Credits Should Only Be Paid To Eu Migrants Working A 35 Hour Week On Minimum Wage (Eqv To £227)

He's speaking specifically about EU migrants but EU law means that benefits rules must be applied in the same way to migrants as they are to British citizens, so is he effectively advocating a change to tax credits which would mean only those working 35 hours+ (or £227 per week would be entitled to them)? Seems like a backdoor method of reducing benefits for everyone but being able to blame it on EU migrants?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ed53af58-74bb-11e4-8321-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3K7Ws77xy

Cutting in-work benefits to EU migrants has been heavily featured in the news this week with numerous opinion pieces in the right wing press. What's the betting tax credits/housing benefit/in-work benefits are in for a populist move big cut in the near future/Autumn Statement?

The article says they have Merkel's support for changing the rules on benefits so they only affect immigrants - so it might be possible!

It's also in the Telegraph now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/11254598/Nick-Clegg-says-he-backs-EU-benefits-curbs.html

Instead the Liberal Democrat leader insisted the UK could find allies in Europe to support efforts to tackle so-called "benefits tourism" without challenging the key principle of free movement which is regarded as non-negotiable by countries including Germany.

Edited by oldsport

Mrs Merkel is only one person and if it's against eu law then how likely is it to pass. Not every eu politico will agree with Mrs Merkel.

Indeed it might eventually be possible (emphasis on might) but it likely won't be as straightforward as Mr Clegg would like people to believe. Anything "promised" for after the general election will just as likely get the tuition fee pledge treatment.

Edited by billybong

Mrs Merkel is only one person and if it's against eu law then how likely is it to pass. Not every eu politico will agree with Mrs Merkel.

Indeed it might eventually be possible (emphasis on might) but it likely won't be as straightforward as Mr Clegg would like people to believe. Anything "promised" for after the general election will just as likely get the tuition fee pledge treatment.

Presumably as EU law stands now the sort of curbs suggested by Nick Clegg would be illegal? There was that German benefiits case last week but I think its scope was pretty limited.

Despite being told that our Civil Service are a Roll royce like organisation, I think they are a bunch of retarded dummies.

I think ax credits should be destroyed, blown up, gutted.

In the mean time, why not set a 10 year UK residential qualifier for tax credits and esp. housing benefits?

This would allow UK residents to qualify.

It would not affect the EU free movement law - the tules apply to EU and UK citizens.

It would not affect the EU citizines moving to the UK to work.

Failing that, get a time machine, go back 20 years and shoot that one eyed scots moron.

Exactly, Just because she is German that does not mean she control the EU.

The whole point is that they are using EU immigrant benefits as a smokescreen to reduce in-work benefits for all (that's the way I see it anyway). They know that any changes must apply across the board. They can use the excuse of EU migrants claiming benefits to increase the number of hours people need in order to be entitled to in-work tax credits. Most EU migrants are net providers of tax, it is non-EU migrants who are the problem and have taken out far more in terms of benefits/housing than they have paid in tax. This is the Government's way of dealing with the "work part time and get tax credits/housing benefit" scam which has been going on since Brown created it. A lot of benefits go to low paid/part-time or unemployed non-EU migrants who came here under the last Labour Government.

Edited by fru-gal

There are millions of single mothers working 16 hours and getting tax credits.There is just no way a government would pull the tax credit rug away in one go like that.Or at least it would take a very very brave one.

They are looking at the tax credit problem from the wrong end.There is nothing wrong with them starting at low hours.The problem is they are too generous.Its the extra for each child that causes the problems.If they made the maximum tax credit award around £100 a week however many children nobody would get tax credits after around £15k a year.That would mean they would still help people into work,but apart from a small number they would not prevent people taking better jobs,overtime etc.

The hours rule should be increased yes.For couples probably up to 35 hours minimum and single parents up to 25 hours once the youngest is at school and 30 hours once over 12.

Amazing they all talk about tax credits after the next election when they are supposed to of gone by then and replaced by UC.

One of the problems the government would have if extending the hours worked rules would be that it would tend to increase the unemployment figures (1 person working 32 hours per week equals 2 people working 16 hours per week - more or less) and unemployment figure are a priority for every type of government - especially as an election approaches.

They're very sensitive to criticism on the subject by the opposition.

A truly growing and rebalanced economy away from non-jobs would help to resolve that but they seem incapable of achieving that.

Years have passed and I get the feeling that an entire Conservative administration has passed and absolutely nothing has happened.

They're managing to hand the parcel back to Labour with the wrapping still very much intact.

Indeed - complete time wasters wasting people's time.

The other lots are no better.

Years have passed and I get the feeling that an entire Conservative administration has passed and absolutely nothing has happened.

They're managing to hand the parcel back to Labour with the wrapping still very much intact.

The one thing they did do very quickly was cut the tax rate from 50% to 45% amazing how fast they can react when it's them and their mates that are effected.

http://www.openeurope.org.uk/Article/Page/en/LIVE?id=22825&page=PressReleases

That's got lots of stats on that have been used in the papers recently.

If they cut tax credits for all then that's going to cause some people hardship. I mean it is a hardship to be skint cos you only work a few hours?

I know people who don't work more than 16 hours because that's the cushy level for the benefits they get.
They've turned down the chance to have more hours multiple times cos it doesn't make financial sense.

It's funny 'cos it's true! :lol:

They've even created policies like HTB to make them feel at home if Labour returns to power.

Edited by Eddie_George

Indeed.IDS is so wrapped up in his crazy UC scheme its meant we have had no welfare reform at all.They had a mandate yet failed.Once UC is scrapped we will of wasted 5-8 years without any reform.

Sooner or later they will have to tackle the fact people are rewarded more and more for bad choices.As soon as extra children cost more than you get in extra benefits you start to solve the problem.Bad choices need to decrease the standard of living.not increase it.

We need less sanctions,less abuse towards people on JSA but a much lower payout for tax credits/HB etc.Its not even that hard to solve its just nobody wants to be the one who cuts benefits aimed at children (spent by their parents).

Brown was a lunatic,no doubt about that, but by getting so many people onto tax credits he created a massive problem for future governments.

Indeed.IDS is so wrapped up in his crazy UC scheme its meant we have had no welfare reform at all.They had a mandate yet failed.Once UC is scrapped we will of wasted 5-8 years without any reform.

Sooner or later they will have to tackle the fact people are rewarded more and more for bad choices.As soon as extra children cost more than you get in extra benefits you start to solve the problem.Bad choices need to decrease the standard of living.not increase it.

We need less sanctions,less abuse towards people on JSA but a much lower payout for tax credits/HB etc.Its not even that hard to solve its just nobody wants to be the one who cuts benefits aimed at children (spent by their parents).

Brown was a lunatic,no doubt about that, but by getting so many people onto tax credits he created a massive problem for future governments.

Well the Tories could do it now if they think they are going to lose anyway. Leave a little Christmas present for Labour.

They've just been sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for The Recovery to show up. No attempt to reform anything and no concept that reform might be a necessary prerequisite for economic recovery.

I expect the 2015-2020 Parliament will be basically the same.

Edited by Dorkins

They've just been sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for The Recovery to show up. No attempt to reform anything and no concept that reform might be a necessary prerequisite for economic recovery.

I know people on here hate the libdems but they did try to get in something like PR they raised the tax limit up to £10,000 and they did the pension reform. Much better than Lab or CON.

However I think if you were in the trenches with Nick Clegg and you were down to you last two boxes of bullets I think he would through one box to the enemy saying it's only fair.

I know people on here hate the libdems but they did try to get in something like PR they raised the tax limit up to £10,000 and they did the pension reform. Much better than Lab or CON.

However I think if you were in the trenches with Nick Clegg and you were down to you last two boxes of bullets I think he would through one box to the enemy saying it's only fair.

The Lib Dems have also consistently voted against reforms to the PRS which would make life better for tenants. Just recently they have one again vetoed a bill that would stop Letting Agents charging outrageous fees to tenants. They also lied completely about University fees. They will do anything to have a bit of power and that means sucking Tory dick at the expense of their voters.

The Cons were totally unprepared on Welfare.

I think there's a general lack of understanding how lucrative the tax credits are to someone with a couple of kids.

Look at all the Economists and journos wondering why UK productivity is so poor and why we've got a ~8% deficit 7 years on fro mhe recession.

The figures you can claim are truely astounding.

Most people think that UK benefits are p1ss poor - the lieks of JSA when you've been paying your tax are.

Tax credits are very very lucrative if you know how to play.

They also damage the claimant in the long as there is no way tax credits will last.

Afterall who wants to employ a 30odd year old who's only work experiene has been 16h on the tesco tills?

The Cons should have been knocking down the claim ceiling and bumping up the qualifying hours.

The cretin IDS with his new fangled badly thought through ****** put a spanner in that.

The Lib Dems have also consistently voted against reforms to the PRS which would make life better for tenants. Just recently they have one again vetoed a bill that would stop Letting Agents charging outrageous fees to tenants. They also lied completely about University fees. They will do anything to have a bit of power and that means sucking Tory dick at the expense of their voters.

The raise in tax allowance was a very good thing.

The rest of LD policy and their inept politics is beyond belief.

FFS why go on camera and commit to something when you have not chance of keepign it and may be in a coalition.

Did Nick think the LD would win a majority?

That;s politics.

You try and avoid rocking the boat and hope the whole system does not blow up when you're in he hot seat.

Its better to not be last than to win.