House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshmellow

Does Going To The Hygienist Make Your Teeth A Bit Whiter?

I havent been to the dentist for about 7 years since I was 18.

I went when I was 21 once to go to the hygienist to get tartar stuff scrapped off behind the back of my teeth

I saw my parents recently and the first thing they said was why are your teeth yellow.

Does getting your teeth cleaned/polished at the hygienist also make your teeth a bit whiter?

I dont want to get any proper teeth whitening done but they were right, my teeth are quite yellow for someone that is only 25. It just crept up gradually and I didnt notice it myself.

My teeth are green! Occasionally I pay for the dental hygienist, and then I have brown teeth!

I havent been to the dentist for about 7 years since I was 18.

I went when I was 21 once to go to the hygienist to get tartar stuff scrapped off behind the back of my teeth

I saw my parents recently and the first thing they said was why are your teeth yellow.

Does getting your teeth cleaned/polished at the hygienist also make your teeth a bit whiter?

I dont want to get any proper teeth whitening done but they were right, my teeth are quite yellow for someone that is only 25. It just crept up gradually and I didnt notice it myself.

IMO, after 7 years, given how casual most people are about brushing, I'd get the dentist to do it, he'll do a much more brutal job including a deep clean beneath the gums. Blood will spray everywhere :)

The hygienist will just be cosmetic.

Hygienist visits typically involve some picking at stains/tartar with a sharp tool, descaling with a high pressure water jet and then a final polish with a rubbery tool and gritty paste (always seems to be orange flavoured). They might also manually floss your teeth. Your teeth feel a lot cleaner and smoother, your gums get a good bleeding/flush out and it really helps with dark staining from tea, etc. (which you don't have to be a lightning-mouthed yank to find unsightly).

I went to the Dentist last week, the first time in around 20 years. To be fair to the dentist he didn't really comment on that fact other than to say it goes one of two ways they will either be terrible or pretty good as people tend to have some idea on how bad their teeth are, but I do think that he was rather disappointed when he did actually have a look and see that my teeth were in perfect condition. He said I had the excellent dental hygiene.

However what he did say was that no amount of brushing will remove or prevent the hard plaque build up. It was a 45 minute appointment but he said my teeth were so good that he did't have enough to fill the time so he gave them a good clean with the high pressure wash thing.

They do feel a lot better and the whole point of this story was that yes they do seem to look a little whiter than before. Not massively so but there was a visible improvement.

Invest in a good oral-B electric toothbrush - buy one in a Black Friday deal this week - and you will notice your teeth are whiter after you have used that a few times on your teeth. That is basically what a dentist will use - he/she just uses a more professional version with a polishing pad.

You can actually buying the electric polishing tools for a reasonable sum also but generally, for most people, an electric tooth brush will do.

It is also worth investing a £1 in buying one of those tooth picks from a Poundland store so that you can scrape off the tartar deposits that are hard to shift.

Floss.

Visit the dentist once every 6 months for a check-up and polish.

So... in the guise of a Sesame Street recap...

1. Oral-B toothbrush daily.

2. Floss daily or at least 3 or 4 times a week.

3. Tartar scraper for hard to shift tartar that collects often near the base of teeth on the inside.

4. Dental check-up at least once a year.

I would avoid any of those chemical whiteners as IMPO they thin and damage the enamel.

I am not a dental professional. Just someone with OCD.

I dont want any whitening done

But my parents were right that my teeth are looking yellow for my age. I think I just hadnt bothered to look. It just seems like when I smile its dark/dull, it just looks strange and not what they used to be 18 months ago

I went through about a 6 month period where I joined the club and was drinking multiple cups of coffee a day like a moron and wasnt brushing my teeth properly. Also was eating a lot of soft fudge, I distinctly remember that my teeth would always go yellow after drinking/eating this until I brushed them.

Last time I went to the hygienist it was because I felt like behind my bottom front teeth the tartar was so much it was actually hurting sometimes.

I dont think I actually have any problems with my teeth though. I think I have a few small cavities but they have been at the same state for over 5 years.

I'm a heavy tea drinker and pipe smoker and my teeth tend to be a bit yellow. I find if I ease off the tea, smoking and red wine they do improve slightly.

However, a dentist once told me that British people often think their teeth are too yellow when it's just a contrast with their naturally very pale skin. People with olive or black complexions tend to have that 'dazzling' look more easily.

I went through about a 6 month period where I joined the club and was drinking multiple cups of coffee a day like a moron and wasnt brushing my teeth properly. Also was eating a lot of soft fudge, I distinctly remember that my teeth would always go yellow after drinking/eating this until I brushed them.

What kind of club is this? Have you told your Mum and Dad?

I dont want any whitening done

But my parents were right that my teeth are looking yellow for my age. I think I just hadnt bothered to look. It just seems like when I smile its dark/dull, it just looks strange and not what they used to be 18 months ago

Last time I went to the hygienist it was because I felt like behind my bottom front teeth the tartar was so much it was actually hurting sometimes.

I dont think I actually have any problems with my teeth though. I think I have a few small cavities but they have been at the same state for over 5 years.

A build up of plaque will cause gum problems in the end. Do go and have a check up and a good clean - your teeth will almost certainly look whiter afterwards, and it's as well to get any cavities seen to before they give you trouble. Toothache is not funny at all.

The little brushes you can buy in Boots etc. are better than floss for cleaning between teeth. My dentist says they are your teeth's best friends.

It was ages ago now, but while she was still at school younger daughter had a Saturday morning job at an upmarket estate agent's. One of the senior staff was a very Sloaney type - with the most appalling, knock-you-for-six bad breath. She had apparently not been to the dentist for years, but was finally persuaded. However nobody connected this with the appalling breath until she returned. After a good clean there were gaps between her teeth which had not been there before - everyone had just assumed that her teeth were like that. There had been an enormous build up of plaque, and that had evidently been a cause of the halitosis, since that had disappeared, too.

The little brushes you can buy in Boots etc. are better than floss for cleaning between teeth. My dentist says they are your teeth's best friends.

Yes, they are very good but only if you have the gaps between the teeth to fit them in. Loads of people have tightly packed together teeth and hence why floss was invented.

This or better the Phillips Sonicare plus a quality toothpaste with whitener (sensodyne or suchlike)

Invest in a good oral-B electric toothbrush

Yes, they are very good but only if you have the gaps between the teeth to fit them in. Loads of people have tightly packed together teeth and hence why floss was invented.

The thinnest inter-dental brushes just buckle under the slightest resistance.

The thinnest inter-dental brushes just buckle under the slightest resistance.

Have problems sometimes getting between a molar and a wisdom tooth, very closed together. The worst of it is when the floss snaps it fills the bloody space up even more with broken floss. Presently it is clear, but teeth do move.

I was convinced that I had broken a tooth recently, it cracked on a stone in some dried fruit and I was in agony and the gum became infected too. The first thing the dentist said when I arrived was I don't believe you have cracked a tooth, they are too strong...and he was right.

My teeth are excellent and so it often goes according to the old joke, "your teeth are fine but your gums will have to be removed".

Funnilly enough, the hygenist did say to me last year, that people tend to have either gum diseas or tooth decay, but not both. It sounded like it might be plausible, as the responsible bacteria might flourish under differing environments. I googled, but never found anything to confitm it though.