House Price Crash Forum

Ferguson

wherebee

HOLA441
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Discussing this on a nice, safe internet forum is one thing... how many of us would police an area like this for a job?

I'd rather stick pins in my winky.

If you have a small winky or can't command respect from others, on your own merits, then I suspect it has quite a strong appeal.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I have to say I don't warm to the cop or find him credible.

That's not enough to fry someone.

Though it might result in a verdict against him in the inevitable civil case, particularly as he was muppet enough to give four hours of testimony to the grand jury without counsel. Any halfway decent lawyer will be able to fashion some kind of civil case out of that much material.

Still, Officer Wilson is more credible than those alleged eye-witnesses who claimed Wilson shot Brown in the back.

And heaps more credible than those two policemen who shot that 12 year old boy playing with a replica pistol in the park last week, especially the bit about supposedly having shouted three distinct warnings to the child in the space of 1.9 seconds. He looked 20 apparently.

HOLA446

Discussing this on a nice, safe internet forum is one thing... how many of us would police an area like this for a job?

I'd rather stick pins in my winky.

Likewise

Which, as already alluded to, does beg the question what kind of people would? At least two types of people come to mind; one good, the other not so good.

If there's any doubt that some US departments do employ brutal thug morons as policemen, I recommend giving the Death of Kelly Thomas a look. You can even watch

of 2, 3, 4 then 6 policemen beating, crushing and repeatedly tasering a skinny, mentally handicapped, homeless man into a terminal coma; calling out for his Dad just before he passes out. All completely justifiable and deserving of subsequent acquittal apparently.

One of the 'nicest' touches to the whole grisly story being this...

One of the paramedics testified that he was first instructed to attend to a police officer's minor injury and then noticed Thomas lying unconscious in a pool of blood

Thomas was Caucasian though. So, his killing was a bit too 'Potentially Anyone vs. Out of Control of Police' rather than 'White vs. Black' to have any real corporate media appeal.

HOLA447

Likewise

Which, as already alluded to, does beg the question what kind of people would? At least two types of people come to mind; one good, the other not so good.

If there's any doubt that some US departments do employ brutal thug morons as policemen, I recommend giving the Death of Kelly Thomas a look. You can even watch

of 2, 3, 4 then 6 policemen beating, crushing and repeatedly tasering a skinny, mentally handicapped, homeless man into a terminal coma; calling out for his Dad just before he passes out. All completely justifiable and deserving of subsequent acquittal apparently.

Thomas was Caucasian though. So, his killing was a bit too 'Potentially Anyone vs. Out of Control of Police' rather than 'White vs. Black' to have any real corporate media appeal.

Thankfully, British cops are unarmed when they abuse 'mentally handicapped' people.

Policemen 'chased autistic man Faruk Ali for fun'

HOLA448
HOLA449

happy_renting, on 27 Nov 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:
Thankfully, British cops are unarmed when they abuse 'mentally handicapped' people.
My little bad, as well as using archaic terminology I was inaccurate. Kelly Thomas had mental health issues rather than being a bit slow on the uptake.
In other news, not pertinent to the shooting incident itself, more of a WTF side-note...
Police in Ferguson, Mo., are investigating a fight between members of the family of Michael Brown which allegedly erupted over the sale of merchandise last month.
Pearlie Gordon, Michael Brown Sr.’s mother-in-law, told police that she was selling “Justice for Mike Brown” items in a parking lot Oct. 18 when a group of about 20 to 30 people rushed toward her, according to an incident report. Gordon said that Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, told her that she couldn’t sell the merchandise.
Gordon then told McSpadden that “unless McSpadden could produce documentation stating she had a patent on her son’s name, she (Gordon) was going to continue to sell her merchandise,” the report states.
That’s when McSpadden’s mother started to rip down items from the booth. Gordon told police she was hit on the head and knocked to the ground. She said McSpadden punched her during the incident, in which more than $1,500 in merchandise and at least $400 in cash was stolen ... (cont.)

HOLA4410

Totally outrageous they were only put on restricted duties and not immediately dismissed when there was in-car recording of them making comments that were outright racial abuse.

The fact they weren't implies there are other nasty little racists, sympathetic to them, higher up in that force.

HOLA4411

using archaic terminology

Euphemism treadmill

Euphemisms often evolve over time into taboo words themselves, through a process described by W.V.O. Quine,%5B9%5D and more recently dubbed the "euphemism treadmill" by Harvard professor Steven Pinker.%5B10%5D This is the linguistic process known as pejoration or semantic change. For instance, Toilet is an 18th-century euphemism, replacing the older euphemism House-of-Office, which in turn replaced the even older euphemisms privy-house or bog-house.%5B11%5D In the 20th century, where the words lavatory or toilet were deemed inappropriate, they were sometimes replaced with bathroom or water closet, which in turn became restroom, W.C., or washroom.

HOLA4412

Instead of promoting more clear cut cases of excessive use of force, the corporate media and grievance industry seems much keener to direct attention to cases where possibly iffy geezers are shot in uncertain circumstances.

Alex Jones says the same thing, and on this point I am inclined to agree.

There is something very iffy going on. The media choice of martyr de jour is a very odd one, as if Brown's case was selected by the media because he is unpalatable to US whites, whilst whipping up resentment in the black Ferguson population.

it's almost as if the authorities want a race war.

HOLA4413

Alex Jones says the same thing, and on this point I am inclined to agree.

There is something very iffy going on. The media choice of martyr de jour is a very odd one, as if Brown's case was selected by the media because he is unpalatable to US whites, whilst whipping up resentment in the black Ferguson population.

it's almost as if the authorities want a race war.

A Black cigarette vendor was choked to death by NYPD a few months ago.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/01/justice/new-york-choke-hold-death/

The trial of a policeman who shot and killed a sleeping 7 year old (Black) girl in Detroit ended in a mistrial last month, for a second time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/17/aiyana-stanley-jones-joseph-weekley-trial_n_5824684.html

There's no shortage of more clear cut incidents, involving Blacks and Whites, but it's begining to look like it's the polarising cases that get the heavy attention.

It could simply be that the more contentious cases are better for business/ viewing figures/ whatever.

In the same way that people casting for reality shows always pick some contestants who are useless and or disagreeable. It makes for more compelling spectacle.

HOLA4414
The moment US cop shot dead a boy aged TWELVE: Two days after Ferguson verdict rocked America, footage emerges of officer killing child after mistaking his BB gun for a real weapon
2388375C00000578-0-image-72_141703270945

Rice (pictured center) was shot by Timothy Loehmann, 26, on Saturday after a 911 caller said reported seeing a man waving around a gun - but did not know whether it was real or not. Newly-released audio showed that the 911 dispatcher did not pass on this concern to the responding officers. At a press conference on Wednesday, authorities released the 911 call made by a man, police dispatch calls and a grainy video showing the moment the officers arrived and shot the boy. The footage shows that Rice - who the officers thought was about 20 - reached for his waistband instead of responding to police requests to raise his hands, police said. They fatally shot him just two seconds after pulling up in their cruiser, the footage shows.

HOLA4415

Seems a lot of people have watched too many Westerns where the good guy has to let the bad guy draw on him first - in real life that gets you killed. Hence why Police have the right in this country and in the US to shoot and kill people who are carrying firearms and who do not respond to demands to disarm.

HOLA4416

Seems a lot of people have watched too many Westerns where the good guy has to let the bad guy draw on him first - in real life that gets you killed. Hence why Police have the right in this country and in the US to shoot and kill people who are carrying firearms and who do not respond to demands to disarm.

not true.

there is no right to kill for carrying a firearm. that would be murder.

HOLA4417

Just don't go walking around with a table leg then.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

As an idle thought, at which point does an armed policeman shoot someone with a gun (or something that looks like one) ?

- if they are holding it and won't drop it when asked?

- if they start to point it at you?

- if they shoot at you, but miss?

- if they've shot you and you're already toast?

Like I say, we're all armchair/internet lawyers here arguing about something we'll (hopefully) never have to face.

The Police Officer has to wait until the suspect has emptied an entire magazine at them, reloaded, fired another magazine and then moved on to the rocket launcher.

Only then can the Police Officer even think about using his truncheon.

HOLA4420

"And who do not respond to demands to disarm."

Well, in that case, the demand to disarm implies very strongly the caller is aware there is an sidearm on the person, and that he is likely to put others at risk.

A concealed weapon would be found on arrest, but there is no right to kill in British law.

There is justifiable homicide though, and these rights are based on the right to life of the innocent and the first duty of the constable...to protect life.

HOLA4421

Well yes, I don't think anywhere would let a policeman off if he shot someone and only afterwards a completely unexpected gun was discovered on the victim (well they probably would let him off but the law wouldn't say that, they'd have to invent some other excuses).

HOLA4422

Well yes, I don't think anywhere would let a policeman off if he shot someone and only afterwards a completely unexpected gun was discovered on the victim (well they probably would let him off but the law wouldn't say that, they'd have to invent some other excuses).

LOL...closing ranks is a big block to justice...but that applies to any group, families, politicians,Police, Doctors. Its human nature.

HOLA4423

Likewise

Holy ****. Words fail.

HOLA4424

My earlier point, is that internet forum debates are a little like the cold, safe environment of a courtroom, where you can safely pick apart the testimony of accused & witnesses who where there in total isolation of the fear and environment of the moment. If you put most HPCers into a situation where they were responding to a couple of 'possibly armed' robbers they would poop themselves.

I'm not sure that anyone is playing that game. The tone of the comments on this thread, as I read them, is that the officer involved in the Brown shooting shouldn't be prosecuted for murder, for the kind of reasons you outline.

It's also the reason why I've mentioned a couple of times that the Brown shooting is not an appropriate case to get steamed about. I've pointed to other instances where those mitigating factors you refer to were not present.

US law enforcement is a dangerous job but not especially compared to others, say, farming and forestry. Being a policemen is traditionally accorded decent employment terms by society, on the basis that policemen run risks in the course of maintaining high standards. If any policemen don't think they're paid enough, insured enough, and retire early enough, to run those risks in maintaining those standards they can always f**k off to the armed forces and be real soldiers, rather than playing dress-ups.

27 US police officers were slain on duty last year. They killed at least 400 people, though bizarrely no-one in the US government is bothering to keep proper count.

HOLA4425

I'm not sure that anyone is playing that game. The tone of the comments on this thread, as I read them, is that the officer involved in the Brown shooting shouldn't be prosecuted for murder, for the kind of reasons you outline.

It's also the reason why I've mentioned a couple of times that the Brown shooting is not an appropriate case to get steamed about. I've pointed to other instances where those mitigating factors you refer to were not present.

Similarly with the 12 year old the video footage clearly shows him waving a gun about in the street. If you are taking acting in this manner you are clearly risking being shot at with questions asked later. In those situations you have a split second to make a life or death decision.

Archived