House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Austin Allegro

What Happened To The Dog On A String, Spare Some Change Brigade?

From the late eighties until a few years ago, you couldn't move in most town centres for crusty types sitting on the pavement. usually by cash machines, asking for spare change. Yet it strikes me that you hardly ever see them now.

Have the authorities just clamped down on them, or is it a demographic/social change?

From the late eighties until a few years ago, you couldn't move in most town centres for crusty types sitting on the pavement. usually by cash machines, asking for spare change. Yet it strikes me that you hardly ever see them now.

Have the authorities just clamped down on them, or is it a demographic/social change?

See them all the time where I live.

There is one that is regularly at Queens Road Peckham station and another at Nunhead station, pretty much every evening asking for any spare change.

Very familiar to anyone that lives in Nottingham, the bearded guy with the Staffordshire bull terrier on Beast Market Hill on the approach to the Square. Cute dog, seems to do the trick.

Seems to be more buskers these days though.

All the crusties sold big issues for about 5 years each and then retired to Burton Bradstock to live near Billy Bragg.
Seriously, some of them did really well out of it.

Tons of them near Ghost HQ. Do you live in Hampstead or something?

Central and north London (not Hampstead) are my main stamping grounds (I'm abroad quite a lot though) and there don't seem to be as many as there used to be say, five years ago. Certainly I have noticed most of the Big Issue sellers now seem to be eastern European gypsy women rather than British men.

Central and north London (not Hampstead) are my main stamping grounds (I'm abroad quite a lot though) and there don't seem to be as many as there used to be say, five years ago. Certainly I have noticed most of the Big Issue sellers now seem to be eastern European gypsy women rather than British men.

That mirrors my experience, no idea why.

Because it's instant tax credits, HB and all the other inwork benefits that you can get.

Yep.

Although the loophole was finally closed in March.

In March 2014 the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) brought in a minimum earnings threshold of £153 per week, meaning that any migrant earning less than this can no longer claim in-work benefits.

Gordon Brown's stupid tax credit system still cauisng problems, replace it now.

http://www.channel4.com/news/big-issue-founder-magazine-hand-up-not-hand-out-john-bird-iain-duncan-smith

Because it's instant tax credits, HB and all the other inwork benefits that you can get.

I wonder if also, certain eastern European ethnic groups do not take kindly to native British beggars queering their pitches and are perhaps somewhat robust in getting them to move on.

Another example of eastern Europeans undercutting locals...

Yep.

Although the loophole was finally closed in March.

Gordon Brown's stupid tax credit system still cauisng problems, replace it now.

http://www.channel4.com/news/big-issue-founder-magazine-hand-up-not-hand-out-john-bird-iain-duncan-smith

In terms of benefits administered by HMRC, this change of policy applies to Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit. Eligibility for Working Tax Credit is subject to different rules, which are unaffected by this change of policy.

I wonder if also, certain eastern European ethnic groups do not take kindly to native British beggars queering their pitches and are perhaps somewhat robust in getting them to move on.

Another example of eastern Europeans undercutting locals...

Unless you have credible evidence, that is pretty unpleasant stereotyping.

All the crusties sold big issues for about 5 years each and then retired to Burton Bradstock to live near Billy Bragg.

Seriously, some of them did really well out of it.

There was one for years in Kingston, always outside M & S with his dog. I was just one of the mugs who gave money now and then before he was exposed as a fraud. Turned out he had a nice flat (not rented ) not a million miles away and quite a hefty stash in the bank.

I don't donate to anyone on the street any more. Donations go to the Sally Army and St Mungo's instead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090012/One-Big-Issue-sellers-Romanian-homes-AND-claim-benefits.html

It's the Mail, must be true.
EDIT: As an aside, this chap (the founder) was speaking in the favour of the motion below at a debate at York University last week. I'm afraid I didn't go...
This House believes the benefits system has created a culture of dependency, and not mobility

There was one for years in Kingston, always outside M & S with his dog. I was just one of the mugs who gave money now and then before he was exposed as a fraud. Turned out he had a nice flat (not rented ) not a million miles away and quite a hefty stash in the bank.

I don't donate to anyone on the street any more. Donations go to the Sally Army and St Mungo's instead.

I think direct giving is always a bit risky. My late father was a churchwarden and one night after Evensong a 'gentleman of the road' asked for money to get back to Swansea. The vicar offered to drive the gentleman to the station and buy a ticket for him out of church funds. Instead he replied 'You don't believe me!' and left in a huff.

Unless you have credible evidence, that is pretty unpleasant stereotyping.

The evidence is pretty clear. Try setting up a begging pitch in London, start a stopwatch and count the seconds until you are approached by an Eastern European and told in no uncertain terms to move.

Even our local big issue seller is an Eastern European gypsy now. Lord knows where she came from.

The evidence is pretty clear. Try setting up a begging pitch in London, start a stopwatch and count the seconds until you are approached by an Eastern European and told in no uncertain terms to move.

Even our local big issue seller is an Eastern European gypsy now. Lord knows where she came from.

East Europe? Just a guess.

There is a Big Issue seller invariably outside John Lewis in Kingston. She always wears an ankle length skirt skirt and a headscarf - make of that what you will. I know what I make of it.

I haven't bought a Big Issue for ages, not since I saw a young (Brit) seller interviewed on TV. He cheerfully said that he had no need to be homeless - he just liked the life.

I'm waiting for Bob Geldof to lambast Adele for not buying a big issue (no idea or interest as to whether she does or not).

My office is on exhibition road and the increase in eastern european beggars outside the museums is very noticeable. I think the number of big issue sellers who own iphones is a higher proportion than is seen in the general populace.

they were outbred and race-replaced by the romanians.

crusties as you mention them are sort of "the red squirrel" of street-life.

dog-on-a-string is no match for accordion-wielding refusenik!

Very tempted to try that TBH, in the same way that I'm very tempted to walk the streets in Newham where 'Sharia Patrols' operate, wearing a tutu and carrying an open can of Spesh.

Can anyone recommend a very small wearable camera that can take a bit of pagga?