House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Extra 12Bn A Year Needed For Oaps Benefits

And that's just the start. The state pension budget is roughly £100 billion p.a by 2040 it will be £230 odd billion per year.

That's before we even look at the NHS which is already saying it needs an extra £30 billion on top of the £113 it got last year. We all know the bulk of health spending is spent on pensioners too. At least they will have all those overpriced homes to sell for care costs.

I think it's pretty clear were going to have a two tier society soon, those that the state buys off and keeps alive and the younger generations that will be expected to pay for it and get nothing in return.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/12bn-rise-in-oap-benefits-bill-30771851.html

In six years' time there will be two million more people aged over 65 than there were in 2010, Paul Johnson of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said

...and I'll be one of them!

2010....State retirement for women 60, default retirement for unemployed men also 60. The goal posts will be moved to 66 by 2020 and onward towards 70 thereafter. Guess this will help a bit.

Don't worry. They will have known about this for a very long time and put some money aside to pay for it. It's all fully funded I think you'll find.

Exactly

They paid national insurance and road tax all their lives

It's additionally important that the oldies get to keep all their 3 bedroom houses in which to install pointless collections of decorative tat in the spare several rooms they have, to make up for the lacking photographs of grandchildren that they never had (but can't work out why)

It's additionally important that the oldies get to keep all their 3 bedroom houses in which to install pointless collections of decorative tat in the spare several rooms they have, to make up for the lacking photographs of grandchildren that they never had (but can't work out why)

Spot on! I also love the 'we've paid in all our lives' mantra - I've been paying in for 25 years and by the time I have finished paying in there will be nothing left for me or any of us, maybe we can follow in their footsteps and melt our children down for heating oil.

Spot on! I also love the 'we've paid in all our lives' mantra - I've been paying in for 25 years and by the time I have finished paying in there will be nothing left for me or any of us, maybe we can follow in their footsteps and melt our children down for heating oil.

got that line from my mum yesterday. I finally persuaded her to sell her huge house with enormous garden and people were not queuing up to buy a badly maintained money pit in the middle of nowhere I can tell you. She's now in a "pokey" 2 double bedroom house (it's 1000 sq. foot floor area btw before you get the tissues out) and she was ranting and raving about how she had paid in all her life and this was the thanks she got from the government; she ended with the classic pensioner trope "Someone should do something".

got that line from my mum yesterday. I finally persuaded her to sell her huge house with enormous garden and people were not queuing up to buy a badly maintained money pit in the middle of nowhere I can tell you. She's now in a "pokey" 2 double bedroom house (it's 1000 sq. foot floor area btw before you get the tissues out) and she was ranting and raving about how she had paid in all her life and this was the thanks she got from the government; she ended with the classic pensioner trope "Someone should do something".

What's there not to be happy about after downsizing? She wanted the money and a similar house size replacement house?

Edited by hans kammler

What's there not to be happy about after downsizing? She wanted the money and a similar house size replacement house?

That's what always amazes me about those who say 'My home is my pension'. If that is the case where do live after you cash it in?

That was the attitude that supported Labour in power - the belief that government should " do something " at every available opportunity

And then the money ran out