House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richc

Has The Quality Of Bbc Tv Output Nosedived Lately?

Is it me, or has the quality of output of the BBC really gone downhill lately? I know that everyone whinges about the distant glory days, but I've been spending a lot of time travelling for the past couple of months and coming back to the UK, it really seems like they've just stopped commissioning anything that isn't a knock-off of something that should be on ITV or a knock-off of something that should be on Channel 4. Specifically, all of the factual/documentary shows that use to be on BBC 2 or BBC 4 are just repeats of programmes made several years ago.

Yes, it is considerably more dire now than 12 months ago IMPO.

Staff wages gobble up so much money. BBC News is a money vampire sucking in so much money. BBC 'stars' salaries are ludicrous.

All the above leaves little money for actual production.

You basically have a smaller and smaller 'elite' of people earning fabulous salaries whilst the breadth and depth of quality gets smaller. Hence why they are happy to make all those cheap productions about house buying and antique competitions.

Also, IMPO, people think they are good today if they work at the BBC instead of good people working at the BBC... if you know what I mean.

I don't have a TV, but occasionally skim through iplayer to see if I'm missing anything.

Invariably there's nothing of interest. The last thing I watched and actually really enjoyed was Jeremy Clarkson's PQ-17 documentary.

If anyone ever needs convincing that the BBC funding model needs to change just try to sit through an episode of the One show.....

I think I'll take your word on that one.

I find "Atlantis" surprisingly good after a decidedly average series of DW (a barnstorming Capaldi notwithstanding) but 85% has become banal padding, increasingly irrelevant overstaffed news, and repeats. The BBC's problem has been its oversized bureaucracy (that had been ruthlessly exploited by infamous Jimmy Savile).

It is 99% dross with the odd pearl buried amongst it

This was an excellent documentary on the soldier poets of the Somme on BBC2 recently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04pw01r/war-of-words-soldierpoets-of-the-somme

Indeed. These days iPlayer is most suitable as there may be two programmes a week I'd like to see and I'll watch them when I'm in the mood.

"Remember me" started on Sunday, three part ghost story with Michael Palin in the lead. Episode one was v promising.

Indeed. These days iPlayer is most suitable as there may be two programmes a week I'd like to see and I'll watch them when I'm in the mood.

"Remember me" started on Sunday, three part ghost story with Michael Palin in the lead. Episode one was v promising.

I think mood is very important these days.

In the golden days of 2 channels, the mood was set by when the great TV was on...so Friday, you knew you looked forward to the Avengers, as did everyone else, Mondays, was Star Trek, Friday Crackerjack, Thursdays, Play for Today.

Dont know what channels these were on, but it gave you something to look forward to/avoid.

Popular shows today are the exact same thing...Simply on Saturday...people talk about it and look forward to it...

But as for the rest, its there for recording and watching in the mood...and with 50 channels to choose from, you can watch what you want when you want.

I find the telly turns me off mostly, but there are some series I will watch...usually at a quiet time of the day..Boston Legal, Blacklist, Gotham is shaping up, and of course Modern Family. I cant say when these are regularly on.

I also like reruns of The Sopranos and series 1 Star trek as easy watching over a sandwich.

Is it me, or has the quality of output of the BBC really gone downhill lately? I know that everyone whinges about the distant glory days, but I've been spending a lot of time travelling for the past couple of months and coming back to the UK, it really seems like they've just stopped commissioning anything that isn't a knock-off of something that should be on ITV or a knock-off of something that should be on Channel 4. Specifically, all of the factual/documentary shows that use to be on BBC 2 or BBC 4 are just repeats of programmes made several years ago.

you've only just noticed??????

Its pish - but with the odd decent thing.

The missing just now on BBC 1 is pretty good so far.

I think mood is very important these days.

In the golden days of 2 channels, the mood was set by when the great TV was on...so Friday, you knew you looked forward to the Avengers, as did everyone else, Mondays, was Star Trek, Friday Crackerjack, Thursdays, Play for Today.

Dont know what channels these were on, but it gave you something to look forward to/avoid.

Popular shows today are the exact same thing...Simply on Saturday...people talk about it and look forward to it...

But as for the rest, its there for recording and watching in the mood...and with 50 channels to choose from, you can watch what you want when you want.

I find the telly turns me off mostly, but there are some series I will watch...usually at a quiet time of the day..Boston Legal, Blacklist, Gotham is shaping up, and of course Modern Family. I cant say when these are regularly on.

I also like reruns of The Sopranos and series 1 Star trek as easy watching over a sandwich.

Yes, I think that idea of "telly night" has gone. For me it was Thursdays where a couple of good comedies (Blackadder) and some other decent stuff meant that was the one night the TV went on and stayed on.

The modern equivalent is maybe Box Set night.

Even the latest Attenborough offering has not been that good. The latest episode was downright boring.

People have cited "nature programmes" as a jewel in the crown of BBC programming for years, but the last one I watched and enjoyed was Life on Earth which was (quick google to confirm date) shown in 1979.

http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/freesat

i defy you to find anything worth watching on any channel

OK looking at tonight

Get in and sort you dinner out and get settled in for the following starting at 7:30

BBC 4 - Great British Railway Journeys

If you enjoyed that stay there and watch a second followed by National Treasures of Wales

If not hop over to BBC2 for Professional Master Chef, unlike it's other counterparts this one is excellent, previously with Micheal Roux who was excellent it's now got Marcus Wareing, one of the UK (if not the worlds) best chefs.

Then it's on to BBC1 for The Missing, a truly excellent drama, however of course you won't understand what's going on as it's part 4 of 8.

Then it's off to More 4 +1 for Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages

If you still want a bit more then maybe a little Bullseye to sent you off to bed.

Guest eight

If somebody had told me twenty years ago that one day Michael Portillo would be the most watchable celebrity on TV I'd have.... well, not believed them, for a start. And yet here we are.

Good point about 'telly night'. A lot of the attraction of TV was looking forward to the next episode, talking about it with friends etc. This was gradually broken down by videos, on-demand tv and finally iplayer etc.

People talk about TVs glory days being the 60s/70s/80s (basically after the 625 line system came in and before satellite TV came along) but you have to remember during most of that time there were only 3 channels, so the pool of TV talent was highly concentrated. Now, it's all spread out over hundreds of channels. I don't think the overall pool of talent has greatly declined (although the culture of political correctness has affected things, meaning certain people and ideas get disproportionate airtime through racial quotas etc).

Yep, large numbers of channels TV is another example of pointless "progress" that hasn't actually improved anything, other than to sometimes shove the sport out of the way so that it's now possible to watch something else when some big event is on.

Yep, large numbers of channels TV is another example of pointless "progress" that hasn't actually improved anything, other than to sometimes shove the sport out of the way so that it's now possible to watch something else when some big event is on.

I liked it initially when ITV4 reran stuff that hadn't been repeated for ages (Auf Weidersehen Pet, The Sweeney, Ultimate Force) but they put it on so frequently I rapdily saw all the episodes.

Without particularly having a go at the BBC (this time) I see the whole idea of watching live broadcasts fairly inferior, unless it's some kind of big event being relayed.

When Dr Who was on recently I'd get back in, eat and then settle down to watch it on iPlayer when I was ready to watch it. There was no requirement to make sure you got back in time to be sat in front of a TV at 8pm on the dot so you don't miss the start. And for this significant improvement in my viewing experience I actually save £145.50 a year as I don't need a TV licence. Mad isn't it?

Not sure bout that.

Come a long way since BBC1 in black and white and the test card.

BBCfour for instance is superb. But much of the rest of BBC programming (includin news) has turned to complete pap. Presumably due to competition. Since competition reduces profits to zero in the long run it seems inevitable that competing with pap will eventually drive all proramming to pap. Which appears to be whats happened. Pap from everybody with the odd excellent usually foreign import now and then.

Not sure bout that.

Come a long way since BBC1 in black and white and the test card.

BBCfour for instance is superb. But much of the rest of BBC programming (includin news) has turned to complete pap. Presumably due to competition. Since competition reduces profits to zero in the long run it seems inevitable that competing with pap will eventually drive all proramming to pap. Which appears to be whats happened. Pap from everybody with the odd excellent usually foreign import now and then.

What I find odd is the media feeding off the media with the reality shows. I did once watch The Only Way is Essex for five minutes, mainly because I was baffled what the concept was (you just film people going to parties?), and you also have Made in Chelsea, Geordie Shore, Benefits Street and all the US equivalents.

Then anybody who has been on these becomes a celebrity and begins to garner massive column inches in the tabloid press, somehow becomes dubbed a celebrity and then gets to appear alongside genuine celebrities (people who can sing, act etc.) on shows for celebrities - Celebrity Big Brother, the jungle show and they then become foisted upon the wider public.

So you have somebody with no discernible talent selected to appear on a particular reality show and they end making a fortune out of it (whilst their canny manager makes more).

I read for my lowbrow data feed the Daily Star online, a signficant proportion of the main stories are about these people and I can't see it chnaging. Getting worse if anything.

It's so abritrary and the TV producer really is the kingmaker (or more usually queenmaker) here.

I have been going back to the uk a couple of times a year for the last ten years, and I would usually be kind of looking forward to a bit of British telly, and there was always absolutely nothing on. But after a couple of weeks of not watching anything, I would gradually drift into watching some dirge, and after a few more weeks, I'd be watching several hours per day. Habit. Laziness. Boredom.

Many people seem to come back from holiday gasping to watch a bit of allegedly good tv again, but I think it's because they don't go for long enough. If you're away for 4 months or so, the spell is broken and you see it for the crap it really is.

Although I did like tv in the good old days, there were only ever two or three programs per week that I used to watch. We didn't expect to be entertained every minute of every day of the week in those days.

Still the odd good doc on BBC2 and BBC4, really enjoyed some of the medieval stuff on BBC4 this year (knights, chivalry, etc) and find Portillo's train stuff quite enjoyable. Much of the rest of it is total garbage, particularly anything shown on a Saturday evening (talent show efforts).

Only watch ITV for football. Watch the odd bit of trash on C4, some comedy. Quite like Babylon that's on at the moment (Brit Marling helps with this). Homeland has also been good this series.