House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

If The Government Do Restrict In-Work Benefits To Eu Migrants (Tax Credits And Housing Benefit) How Will It Affect The Prs?

A 2 year qualification period? Prediction: this measure will be introduced, but it will apply to everyone ie 2 years of paying national insurance before anyone can claim these benefits.

Will it affect rents? Not sure.

A 2 year qualification period? Prediction: this measure will be introduced, but it will apply to everyone ie 2 years of paying national insurance before anyone can claim these benefits.

Will it affect rents? Not sure.

Yes, I think you are right. I think this was basically the idea all along - to stop certain benefits to all claimants whilst claiming this is the only way to stop benefits to EU migrants (because the EU says you have to apply the rules as you would to citizens). So the Tories want to reduce all benefits but will use EU migrants as an excuse to do this.

Yes, I think you are right. I think this was basically the idea all along - to stop certain benefits to all claimants whilst claiming this is the only way to stop benefits to EU migrants (because the EU says you have to apply the rules as you would to citizens). So the Tories want to reduce all benefits but will use EU migrants as an excuse to do this.

Didn't Labour also tout removing job seekers allowance for the young (under 21 IIRC) earlier this year? The thing that really annoyed me about that proposal was that young people are already under valued by the minimum wage system, which says that one hour of their work is always worth less than one hour of an older persons work regardless of relative experience, and on top of this they would then be expected to contribute to a benefits system that they couldn't claim from whilst others (a minority, I know) received the same benefits having never worked a day. This would definitely be a way for Lab/Con to get around any accusations of ageism when implementing that kind of policy. I wonder if they will back date it if it goes ahead i.e. if they will remove benefits from anyone who currently receives them but hasn't made up the requisite hours in work? I doubt they'd have the cojones, but that would certainly affect rents and house prices given the reliance of BTL on HB...

Didn't Labour also tout removing job seekers allowance for the young (under 21 IIRC) earlier this year? The thing that really annoyed me about that proposal was that young people are already under valued by the minimum wage system, which says that one hour of their work is always worth less than one hour of an older persons work regardless of relative experience, and on top of this they would then be expected to contribute to a benefits system that they couldn't claim from whilst others (a minority, I know) received the same benefits having never worked a day. This would definitely be a way for Lab/Con to get around any accusations of ageism when implementing that kind of policy. I wonder if they will back date it if it goes ahead i.e. if they will remove benefits from anyone who currently receives them but hasn't made up the requisite hours in work? I doubt they'd have the cojones, but that would certainly affect rents and house prices given the reliance of BTL on HB...

I think they will start with removing jobseekers/unemployment benefits to EU migrants. Next they will extend that to in-work tax credits/housing benefits to migrants (am pretty sure this is going to happen in some form or another as it is being reported extensively and loads of propaganda coming out against tax credits now. Funny how it only took them 10 years to see how destructive tax credits were and basically a subsidy to big business/landlords). Anyway, then they will crack down on indigenous benefits claimants. They can do this via Universal Credit or just by tightening the rules. The Tories want to reduce the benefit cap to £23k and want to exclude under 25s from claiming housing benefit. The next thing will be capping child benefits and tax credits at a number of children as this is the real money maker for a lot of people (children) because it increases their tax and child benefit entitlement and also gives them access to larger bedroom entitlement in the PRS and social housing. Over the course of 5 years the coalition has made being on benefits a real stigma (but they are happy to continue giving benefits to their friends, the 1%).

It's funny, I always used to think that people who believed in conspiracy theories were crackpots but it does seem more and more like Orwell's visions of a dystopia are coming true, exactly like he predicted. Along with the news of Teresa May's surveillance reform going through, this is really getting scary.

The FT thing mentions Open Europe - a research group
http://www.openeurope.org.uk/

New Open Europe report: How David Cameron can get back on the front foot on EU migration without ending free movement

http://www.openeurope.org.uk/Article?id=22830

It would reduce pressures on both wages and local services. Under OE’s proposal, in some cases, without access to in-work benefits EU migrants’ take home pay could drop below that which they would receive in their home states, meaning that the move would no longer make financial sense.

--
But surely this is completely the opposite of what various people are trying to tell us?

Edited by SarahBell