House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Bt In Talks To Buy Uk Mobile Operator

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/19/bt_o2_vodafone/

19 Nov 2004

BT' relationship with its former mobile division - O2 - came to an end today after Vodafone took over the job of supplying mobile services to BT's corporate customers.

Three years after BT spun off its mobile division to help raise cash to pay off a chunk of it debt mountain, BT has begun a new relationship with one-time rival Vodafone. Now, Voda will supply the network infrastructure for BT's Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) business providing converged communications to the corporate market.

BT will look after marketing, branding, billing and customer service, while Vodafone UK will provide the network airtime and services. Voda will also supply airtime for BT's domestic users from early next year when BT ditches T-Mobile as its mobile provider. Once that's been done, Voda will provide the whole kit and caboodle for BT's mobile operation.

Said BT in a statement: "The announcement marks the start of building BT's vision for converged services in the business and consumer markets, with plans to introduce a range of future services across fixed and wireless, voice and data networks."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/11/24/uk-telefonica-m-a-bt-group-idUKKCN0J80TL20141124

Britain's BT Group (BT.L) is in early stage talks with Spain's Telefonica (TEF.MC) on a deal to buy UK mobile operator O2, with two sources saying it has also begun negotiations with EE as it seeks a return to the British consumer mobile market.

Both Telefonica and BT confirmed they were in talks after Spanish website El Confidencial reported that O2 could be sold in return for a 20 percent stake in BT as part of a "strategic alliance" to strengthen the two groups.

BT also said it was in talks with another British mobile operator, which two sources close to the matter identified as EE, owned by Orange (ORAN.PA) and Deutsche Telekom (DTEGn.DE).

"We have received expressions of interest from shareholders in two UK mobile network operators, of which one is O2, about a possible transaction in which BT would acquire their UK mobile business," BT said.

So 10-14 years after selling O2 BT now want to buy it back.....

They have an epic pensions liability. plus they are only kept going by "line rental" or old people who fear mobiles. I hear ofcom are looking into the whole line rental thing too.

Up to a few years ago my mum was still renting her telephone from BT. I was speechless when she told me.

They have an epic pensions liability. plus they are only kept going by "line rental" or old people who fear mobiles. I hear ofcom are looking into the whole line rental thing too.

BT still control most of the markets for broadband outside of towns, plus they have a massive consultancy business which probably takes in more money than what is conceived to be their core service.

I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Up to a few years ago my mum was still renting her telephone from BT. I was speechless when she told me.

You can RENT a phone?

I thought that was BS. But I had to look it up.

Rent the BT Converse 2200

Rent a phone from us and we'll maintain or replace your phone quickly and easily if it ever goes wrong. Call ************ to find out more.

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/products-phones-converse-2200.html

I can't find out how much it costs to RENT the phone, but you can buy one for about £30 new. Now c'mon let's have a debate on RENTING or OWNING the Converse 2200.

Edited by 200p

Before the 1980's only the GPO provided phones except in Hull.

They would only rent you the hand set, never sell them.

In 1986 when they were privatised, only a few days after the deal, I went into the GPO in Swansea, pointed to a candlestick phone on display and asked to buy it.

They were flabbergasted. They knew that they now could sell phones, but didn't actually have the system in place to allow them to sell them.

Eventually, they looked up my address on their computer, told me that because my house was hard wired rather than having sockets, I couldn't have one because it wouldn't work. They could not grasp the fact that they had to sell me it never mind what I did with it. We were truly living in a Stalinist era.

I got my phone, wired up my own sockets. They wanted to send an engineer to check them at a cost of £25. I rang them up and told them that I had gone back to hard wire and they were happy.

To many old people who have lived in the same house since that era are unaware that they can buy a phone.

Before the 1980's only the GPO provided phones except in Hull.

They would only rent you the hand set, never sell them.

In 1986 when they were privatised, only a few days after the deal, I went into the GPO in Swansea, pointed to a candlestick phone on display and asked to buy it.

They were flabbergasted. They knew that they now could sell phones, but didn't actually have the system in place to allow them to sell them.

Eventually, they looked up my address on their computer, told me that because my house was hard wired rather than having sockets, I couldn't have one because it wouldn't work. They could not grasp the fact that they had to sell me it never mind what I did with it. We were truly living in a Stalinist era.

I got my phone, wired up my own sockets. They wanted to send an engineer to check them at a cost of £25. I rang them up and told them that I had gone back to hard wire and they were happy.

To many old people who have lived in the same house since that era are unaware that they can buy a phone.

I remember my Dad installing phone sockets in our house in the 1980s himself. Sometime later, we returned a hired phone to which he'd added a connector. The woman in the post office or where ever it was went completely ballistic.