House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hectors House

£700,000 Of Taxpayers' Money Used To Bail Out Charities Pension Scheme

And the charity is?

AGE UK oh the irony!

http://bbc.in/1r0obiH

Knowing a very well heeled retired charity worker that is putting his step grand daughter through private school makes you question the whole concept of charity.

I would like to do some FOI across all UK charities.

How many employ more than one person from the same family?

Nepotism gone mad in most of them.

Knowing a very well heeled retired charity worker that is putting his step grand daughter through private school makes you question the whole concept of charity.

All the charities i've cared to have a look at have their accounts on line.

Most of the ones i've looked at the chief exec is getting 100K+, usual 150k+.

A lot of them get "grants" from the government.

I don't give to charities now.

When we are being taxed to fund chief execs of charities to receive a 6 figure income something is far wrong.

All the charities i've cared to have a look at have their accounts on line.

Most of the ones i've looked at the chief exec is getting 100K+, usual 150k+.

A lot of them get "grants" from the government.

I don't give to charities now.

When we are being taxed to fund chief execs of charities to receive a 6 figure income something is far wrong.A

As we all know, the government is moving as fast as possible from actually providing any services to the public itself. Instead the services are out-sourced. The out-sourcing organization is either profit-making or non profit-making - the latter are called 'charities' because having charitable status means they don't pay shareholders or corporation tax and return any surpluses into investment. Wages and salaries in the not for profit sector are generally well below those in the profit making sector. Suggest a fair comparison would be the salary of the CEO of Barnados or Shelter or Oxfam against the CEO of Serco or G4S.

The last CEO of Serco, Christopher Hyman, had a salary of £1,916,843 when he departed in the furor over Serco overcharging the government.

I think you should direct your fury elsewhere.

Edited by redwing

Suggest a fair comparison would be the salary of the CEO of Barnados or Shelter or Oxfam against the CEO of Serco or G4S.

People give money to charity to, you know, help the people the charity supposedly supports, not to pay fat-cat wages to the charity's employees. Nor do the charity volunteers work for free so the CEO can make a six figure income.

This is why I now only give to local charities with volunteer staff, or to the few that are still worth supporting despite massive troughing by their management.

They could do with a good Channel 4 series on where your charity money really goes. Needless to say, I now only give to local charities and make a point of telling everyone I know how much the directors get.

As we all know, the government is moving as fast as possible from actually providing any services to the public itself. Instead the services are out-sourced. The out-sourcing organization is either profit-making or non profit-making - the latter are called 'charities' because having charitable status means they don't pay shareholders or corporation tax and return any surpluses into investment. Wages and salaries in the not for profit sector are generally well below those in the profit making sector. Suggest a fair comparison would be the salary of the CEO of Barnados or Shelter or Oxfam against the CEO of Serco or G4S.

The last CEO of Serco, Christopher Hyman, had a salary of £1,916,843 when he departed in the furor over Serco overcharging the government.

I think you should direct your fury elsewhere.

Serco has about 20 times the cash flow of Barnardo's. Making their former CEO look rather better value. Edited by Si1

I wonder if that's legal? I mean it's deeply unfair competition for any other organisations wishing to tender to provide social services to Norwich council

if one looks into most charity's finances - where the money goes - it is horrific.

why single out age-uk - the same may be said of lots of other charities who rely on volunteers at the coal face - foodbanks and animal charities are further examples.

I will only give to local charities who have a much lower profile and really 'need' the funds.

I wonder if that's legal? I mean it's deeply unfair competition for any other organisations wishing to tender to provide social services to Norwich council

Who would you ask?

Serco has about 20 times the cash flow of Barnardo's. Making their former CEO look rather better value.

Leeds City Council has half the cashflow of Serco, perhaps they should be paying their CEO 1 million, to keep it consistent like

Edited by Georgia O'Keeffe

All very well not giving to these charities but the reality is the government will just forcibly take the money off you and give it to them plenty would already be filed under 'too big to fail' probably.

Big finance/corporations, big government and big charity is the unholy trinity destroying, at the very least, english speaking western countries.

Charities have been big business for quite some time now.

If they can't even organise their pension funds properly then what justification is there for their massive wages and pensions.

Are they threatening to go to work in Dubai or somewhere like the bankers.

Leeds City Council has half the cashflow of Serco, perhaps they should be paying their CEO 1 million, to keep it consistent like

Except serco's CEO was still considered overpaid

Serco has about 20 times the cash flow of Barnardo's. Making their former CEO look rather better value.

Odd measure. On that basis Osborne should be paid c. £1billion p.a.

Edited by R K

Odd measure. On that basis Osborne should be paid c. £1billion p.a.

On the other hand, whether labour or conservative, compensation when working in government is very significantly for the sake of being in public service

Some charities make the problems worse then they were when they started. Giving clothes to African countries makes textile workers in those countries unemployed as they cannot compete in the market against free stuff. The unemployed people then need clothes, and so the cycle repeats.

Just been having a look through a lot of the well known charity accounts on the charity commission web site, pension deficits all over the place. While there are plenty of good local causes and some decent large charities, some of these are just taking the piss.

And to top it off, noticing some of these are getting significant chunks of money from various taxpayer funded departments/organisations/local authorities, there goes my choice to avoid them..

Edited by Sure thing!

I was watching a documentary recently and the unemployed graduate's main goal in life was to get a job within a charity.

Should the role of a charity really be to provided jobs for graduates (granted they are in need) or help for the cause.