House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Preacherman

Brother And/or Sister In Law May Be Involved In Fraud

My brother has a good job. Unfortunately his wife has rather high demands and they've worked their way up the property ladder.

Their last house move in 2008 was to a large property in a desirable commuter village. This has saddled them with a house that was expensive to maintain and renovate on a large IO mortgage.

There have been several close shaves as my brother has lost his job twice sine they moved. My sister in law refuses to work despite the kids being at school and they being in a tight spot financially. My brother has had a promotion at work but ironically he is not really better off as his basic has increased but his potential for bonuses is smaller.

Now they were struggling to make ends meet but all of sudden this year they have started spending. Purchases include 2 rental properties, long haul family holidays, and house renovations.

My curiosity got the better of me as to where all the money was coming from. I discovered that my sister in law is a director of a company with a convicted money launderer. My feeling is that the company my sister in law is a director of, is either being used to skim from transactions associated with my brother's work or it is being used for money laundering.

My heart says I should warn my brother and/or sister in law. However, my head says that it is too late as whatever they have done has been done and they won't thank me for being a busy body and of course it could all be above board.

What would you do?

do nothing

the very last thing you want to end up with is having to explain to the police what you knew and when and, if you were suspicious, why you didn't report it

In fact, probably delete this thread - declaring such things in public probably isn't wise

/paranoia

In such cases, people like your sister in law usually end up the patsy facing up to 14 years in jail. The true crims will have lawyers read to shift the blame very fast.

Ask Frank says, not a lot you can do. People do not listen if the truth means they will lose out financially. Just make sure you bulletproof yourself and other family members you care about (i.e. no, favours, no looking after belongings, no attestations, etc). Be especially protective of elderly parents - they often get roped in.

I don't think you have a duty to report (although others may have a view) under POCA in the UK. Oddly enough, if you go to a lawyer for advice, he might be obliged to report.

If I was in your shoes, I would say nothing, not least because if they are in bed with some really nasty people, you do not want your brother telling them you suspect anything.

It sounds like a smashing fraud. I would like to get involved, as an "environmental waste consultant". My cut is 5%.

Odd that for years your SIL refused to work, then lands herself what appears to be a high paying directorship.

Could be she is highly experienced and your fears are unfounded, or is, as you suspect being set up, and having a directorship is perfect for just such a scenario, that puts her firmly in the crosshairs.

I would stay out of it.

At the moment you have only suspicions and no real evidence. The last thing you actually want is real evidence as then you will face the choice of either ratting on your brother or facing prosecution yourself for not disclosing what you know to the police.

I would stay out of it.

At the moment you have only suspicions and no real evidence. The last thing you actually want is real evidence as then you will face the choice of either ratting on your brother or facing prosecution yourself for not disclosing what you know to the police.

Ignorance is bliss! Try it!

do nothing

the very last thing you want to end up with is having to explain to the police what you knew and when and, if you were suspicious, why you didn't report it

In fact, probably delete this thread - declaring such things in public probably isn't wise

/paranoia

I would stay out of it.

Is it an offence, in the UK, for a member of the general public to not report a crime?

Is it an offence, in the UK, for a member of the general public to not report a crime?

The laws with regard to money laundering are very draconian and can get you into hot water even if you only have knowledge of what is going on.

The laws with regard to money laundering are very draconian and can get you into hot water even if you only have knowledge of what is going on.

Not my experience. When I reported fraud/forgery and money laundering to the police, they couldn't give a rat's rse. Only when I chucked in a paedo claim (perp was accused in Romania whilst laundering money) were they interested.

Only for professionals.

That would be bankers, accountants and lawyers in the main.

OP is a member of the public who has picked up on an ex con currently running a business...He has nothing to report.

Only for professionals.

OP is a member of the public who has picked up on an ex con currently running a business...He has nothing to report.

That is how I understand it.

This is why you don't get married.

As others have, don't get involved. What could you possibly 'tip them off' about anyway? Do you want to aid and abet criminals?

Only for professionals.

That was my point - -sort of. At the moment he only has a suspicion based on circumstantial evidence, so no problem.

If he was given (by his brother say) more detailed information does he not run the risk of being embroiled into conspiracy/aiding and abetting type type offences. Best to ask no questions.

That was my point - -sort of. At the moment he only has a suspicion based on circumstantial evidence, so no problem.

If he was given (by his brother say) more detailed information does he not run the risk of being embroiled into conspiracy/aiding and abetting type type offences. Best to ask no questions.

I dont think the mere gathering of evidence is aiding and abetting

Is it a good fraud?

Can I get in on it?

They need a female because it to do with washing machines....