House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattLG

Time To Get Proactive?

Well it looks like the crash is almost here. Loads of anecdotal evidence coming up all the time. Xmas sales seem to be dreadfully low this year, and the January sales seem to have already started in some places. I fancy going and making a few offers at 30-50% less than asking prices. Not just to take the p*ss, but to encourage the crash along by instilling low confidence.

Reckon this would help? Should we all be putting in crazy offers. If they get accepted, we've got a bargain, and if not, it should at least help take the confidence out of the market.

Just an idea.

MattLG

Well it looks like the crash is almost here. Loads of anecdotal evidence coming up all the time. Xmas sales seem to be dreadfully low this year, and the January sales seem to have already started in some places. I fancy going and making a few offers at 30-50% less than asking prices. Not just to take the p*ss, but to encourage the crash along by instilling low confidence.

Reckon this would help? Should we all be putting in crazy offers. If they get accepted, we've got a bargain, and if not, it should at least help take the confidence out of the market.

Just an idea.

MattLG

Hi MattLG

I have tried this a couple of times. The last time was 1 month ago when I offered 120 for a 190K 2 bed house in hackney wick. Somehow I don't think the agent passed my offer onto the vendor. Herein lies the problem - the vendors will be insulated from low offers by the EAs.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I fancy going and making a few offers at 30-50% less than asking prices. Not just to take the p*ss, but to encourage the crash along by instilling low confidence.

Just be careful they don`t set their dogs on you. :unsure:

i wouldnt worry too much about the dogs.

this is one of the most un-proactive groups ive ever seen.

its what we used to call in the trade -lip service support-

rock throwing from a distance and running back when challenged.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Most on here are like minded people, all wanting house prices

To return to an affordable level (3.5/4 x income)

we are also adult enough to accept houses will always be the biggest

financial debt we will undertake in our lives.

They are not going to give them away for free (anymore)

But the most annoying thing I cannot accept is the amount of mis-information

that keeps getting spewed out by the vested interests to fool and trick the un-informed.

The Consumers association campaigns for better consumer rights.

The Plain English association campaigns for clearer conditions in contracts.

The Association of British drivers campaigns for a voice to lobby on behalf of Britain's beleaguered drivers.

The Fathers for Justice campaign for fathers’ rights.

We should campaign to stop the spin concerning house price inflation.

One suggestion would be to report the Estate agents sold signs that stay up

Longer than 14 days. Which they all do, and is against planning permission.

This would not require any illegal activity camping out / chained to anything?

And would not require any group meetings or organised events, just post here.

Suggested acronyms? B)

Most on here are like minded people, all wanting house prices

To return to an affordable level (3.5/4 x income)

we are also adult enough to accept houses will always be the biggest

financial debt we will undertake in our lives.

They are not going to give them away for free (anymore)

But the most annoying thing I cannot accept is the amount of mis-information

that keeps getting spewed out by the vested interests to fool and trick the un-informed.

The Consumers association campaigns for better consumer rights.

The Plain English association campaigns for clearer conditions in contracts.

The Association of British drivers campaigns for a voice to lobby on behalf of Britain's beleaguered drivers.

The Fathers for Justice campaign for fathers’ rights.

We should campaign to stop the spin concerning house price inflation.

This would not require any illegal activity camping out / chained to anything?

And would not require any group meetings or organised events, just post here.

Suggested acronyms? B)

What about

Stop House Inflation Tony

I would be proud to be a member of S.H.I.T

:rolleyes:

What about

Stop House Inflation Tony

I would be proud to be a member of S.H.I.T

:rolleyes:

Great idea, but didn't we all go straight into (the) S.H.I.T when NL won the last election? :lol:

;)

*Note to Tony Blair*

"1984" was a satirical novel. Not an instruction manual.

Edited by Boughtin95

what about

A.W.A.N.K.

already withdrawn and nearly knackered.

didnt we do all this before in some other thread >???

only with all the former 'cool cats' like bluenunlady and king of the carlsberg.

Fourteen-days

Only

Regarding

Erected

Posters

Lying

About

Your-sale

:wub: FOREPLAY :wub:

Can you imagine what carnage a pressure group making estate agents take sold signs down

after two weeks would do?

From experience; when sales fail, they still leave the sold sign until another buyer can be found! <_<

Not true - They must be removed 14 days after completion - not after 14 days.

Not really sure how that will help the cause.

Just an idea.

MattLG

A good tip I don't mind sharing is checking the obituaries e.g whose died recently. My dad used to be an EA and he used to race round the day after the funeral to see if they (or who was taking over the house) wanted to sell. During lean times you could be up a gem of a bargain this way. I know it appears a bit vulturous but its all business. And I think alot of people on this website want to pick up a few bargains in the crash and sell at the next boom....C U on the beach in the West Indies in 2012.

Above is where u can pick a nice juicy bargain and try and cut the EA out of the deal

Just an idea.

MattLG

It is a lovely idea, but only do it for perverse gratification. If the thought of a vendor puking at such a derisory offer arouses you, great. But the housing market is not as liquid as the stock market and falls will take time. Whilst I agree that we, collectively, can encourage the market down by spreading the good word and by not buying yet, I resent RFD's suggestion that we are the most "un-proactive groups" he's ever seen.

The best protest you can make is by not buying and encouraging others to do likewise.

Just an idea.

MattLG

I've been doing this for ages! But have felt like I'm on my own. Yes, as a female dealing with mostly male estate agents I've had some responses that range from ignorant, to sexist, to just plain offensive, but I still think it's worth doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing men, per se, of those things! Not at all. It's just that my very low offers really seem to bring out the very worst in the estate agents I've dealt with... and I'm so polite too! I just can't think why they take it so badly...

But I agree - why not swamp them with rock bottom offers? Seems like a grand idea. As long as we ask for written evidence that the offers have been passed on, or for evidence that the vendor has asked for offers below a certain price not to be passed on.

Hi MattLG

I have tried this a couple of times. The last time was 1 month ago when I offered 120 for a 190K 2 bed house in hackney wick. Somehow I don't think the agent passed my offer onto the vendor. Herein lies the problem - the vendors will be insulated from low offers by the EAs.

As you probably know, putting your offer in writing compels the agent to pass it on. You are then in a position to ask for proof that it has indeed been communicated.

VP

As you probably know, putting your offer in writing compels the agent to pass it on. You are then in a position to ask for proof that it has indeed been communicated.

VP

Do they have to pass it on if you put it in writing even if you offer below any minimum levels they set?

If we campaign we need to be realistic about what and how we do it. For instance, we can't turn up at number 10 downing street telling the Goverment to lower house prices, they will tell us they don't control asking prices, they are helping FTBs with the shared equity schemes and we will definately not be taken seriously. Also, we may look like a big group but we are not big enough to make a dent in EA profits by all giving low offers, there will always be some fool who will not adhere, we need to target a larger audience through TV if possible.

The VI's have a tacktick of using spin to stimulate the market, we should use this to do the opposite. It may sound like dirty tricks but scare tackticks and 'junk science' have been used to scare the public very successfully in the past. We can do this with the share equity schemes, by putting forward the pitfalls, such as negative equity, the fact the buyer will need to pay rent for the 25% he/she doesn't own which isn't going to save them any money.

Also we could target banks for irresponsible lending (this should be easier as it has already started). We may need to approach some people with a high profile (think Ken Clark, Evan Davis from the BBC, Cliff D'Arcy from TMF, I believe he has connections with Sky TV).

We could also start a petition (I believe they can be done on-line) against the shared equity scheme and the banks irresponsible lending and present it to the PM or GB.

You never know, if the goverment realise the people who are targeted for the shared equity scheme don't want it, then they may think twice about it.

The tricky bit of course is that we would need to get this in the media, flyer campaigns are too small scale. Is there anyone who knows how to penitrate the media bubble?

We have already tried to do this, no-one is interested!!

Shame.

I have to admit, I have no clue about penitrating the media bubble. I am not normally someone who is bothered by these things and I definately don't want to appear on TV but it infuriates me when I see people like Kirsty Allsopp sitting in a studio or interviewed in a glossy, telling youngsters to buy now or loose out, without anyone challenging her. I know this sort of tripe does persuade people to buy overpriced houses.

I watched Locationx3 a few years ago and saw this couple who rented a beautiful secluded cottage in the hertfordshire country side only to be pursuaded by Phil and Kirsty to buy a 1970's box that needed renovation, in a cramped road (I think the mortgage repayments were more than the rent they were paying). I tried to see the logic in this but still can't. This couple upsticks, bought and moved home on the advise of 2 people who offered little logic and could have made profit from their move. I know this particular programme was used to 'show' FTB's that as rents were 'artificially low' they would need to lower their expectations in order to get a foot on the property ladder. Where as this made me realise the arguement for 'Renting is dead money' was flawed, I know it convinced others to buy that year.

Unless it is beneath a level previously agreed between seller & EA.

So the fact that you put it in writing makes no difference if it below that level?