House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Will Landlords Become The Next Cash Cows For Cash Strapped Councils?

I saw the thread title and my response was exactly the same as yours Fru-gal.....

Excellent news.

Full copy/paste

'A London council which is consulting on extending its HMO licensing scheme has secured what is believed to be a record fine and costs against a landlord for a cool £280,000.

David Kohali turned an outbuilding at a property in Holloway into six small flats around six years ago. In 2009 Islington council ordered him to stop using it for flats because of their small size.

Kohali then entered into a four year exchange with Islington council during which he repeatedly ignored enforcement notices and continued letting the flats.

In 2013 the council began proceedings for a confiscation order under the Proceeds of Crime Act, relating to money made by illegally renting out the unauthorised units.

Now Kohali has been ordered to pay £280,000 in total, including £190,000 in fines, council costs of over £15,000 and a confiscation order of £76,562.07. He has 28 days to pay - and failure to do so could lead to him being jailed. '

Islington is now consulting on its policy of introducing additional licensing for HMOs. The consultation will close on January 9 with a decision by the full council expected in February.'

Edited by Sancho Panza

No chance, they will stick it to single person households like myself living in a property with more than one bedroom. That way they can claim to be tackling the housing shortage whilst avoiding upsetting landlords too much. After all, a lot of these types are landlords anyway.

Edited by bricor mortis

No chance, they will stick it to single person households like myself living in a property with more than one bedroom. That way they can claim to be tackling the housing shortage whilst avoiding upsetting landlords too much. After all, a lot of these types are landlords anyway.

Would that not just feedback into pressure on rents ?

don't forget that like politicians, most of the councillors are probably involved in buy to let / property speculation, either directly or through brown envelopes.

so i don't think landlords will become cash-cows for councils.

don't forget that like politicians, most of the councillors are probably involved in buy to let / property speculation, either directly or through brown envelopes.

so i don't think landlords will become cash-cows for councils.

If there's one thing they love more than HPI it's their pensions.

As Council income streams dry up,the Landlords will be sacrificed.At the ned of the day they'll want some sort of kicker out of all that HB that gets dished out.

Edited by Sancho Panza

David Kohali turned an outbuilding at a property in Holloway into six small flats around six years ago. In 2009 Islington council ordered him to stop using it for flats because of their small size.
Typical council behaviour. Instead of dealing with the cause of a housing shortage by providing an adequate number of homes they attack the symptoms e.g. beds in sheds.