House Price Crash Forum

There's another thread on here about UKIP voters wishing to live in the past.

Now, I can understand the cynicism many of us (myself included) might feel about someone who would prefer to live in the past than the present or future. It instinctively feels wrong. As a parent, I want my child to have more than I did for example. My parents felt the same about me. It is human nature to want to move forward.

So, is it rational for so many UK citizens to want to live in the past? Since reading that article, I've done a bit of thinking and it would be 50/50 for me whether I would stay in 2014 or go back to 1994.

I loved 1994. I was at university. I got a grant and had access to very low-interest top-up loans from HMG. I got various jobs to top up my grant/loan and had a whale of a time. I left university with £3,000 worth of debt - that's it.

Finding jobs was easy. But living was cheap too - I rented a room in a nice four-bed terraced house for £20 a week.

I could go to Netto and eat reasonably well for £15 a week. My eyes weren't ripped out the back of my head for alcohol and tobacco.

Believe it or not, housing was still, in the main and in my opinion, considered as not an investment class but somewhere you lived. House prices had been static or declining for years. You could get spacious 2-bed Tyneside flats in Gateshead for £5,000 (now close to £80,000).

Council tax was very low - in real terms, probably a third of what we paid today.

The internet and mobile phones existed but they weren't mass market. I could actually remember about 20 telephone numbers in my head - now I can barely remember my own and I've had the same contract for 10 years.

It was no utopia, that's for sure. But I loved it. I loved my life then. It wasn't carefree but it wasn't so hassled and pressured.

This is not a comment on immigration or anything else. I may have the rosiest-tinted pair of glasses on ever.

But the past seemed a lot warmer, cheaper simpler and less judgemental to me than the high-price, ultra-conformist, nanny state we grind under today.

Am I alone in this? How does 2014 compare to when you were 20?

A corporate ethic appears to have overtaken the production ethic in this country that became strongly re established under the previous Thatcher major government, imho

It's become acceptable to get rich irrespective of the means, which is disturbing, as it leads to zero sum outcomes

Edited by Si1

Now, I can understand the cynicism many of us (myself included) might feel about someone who would prefer to live in the past than the present or future. It instinctively feels wrong. As a parent, I want my child to have more than I did for example. My parents felt the same about me. It is human nature to want to move forward.

So, is it rational for so many UK citizens to want to live in the past? Since reading that article, I've done a bit of thinking and it would be 50/50 for me whether I would stay in 2014 or go back to 1994.

Since we've been heading backwards in terms of quality of life and social mobility for the last twenty years or so if we consider it in these terms, as most people are likely to, returning to 1994 would actually be a move forward, hence why it is such an attractive prospect.

Personally I loved the 90s, but then this was decade in which I was a teenager so maybe I'm biased :P

I loved 1994. I was at university. I got a grant and had access to very low-interest top-up loans from HMG. I got various jobs to top up my grant/loan and had a whale of a time. I left university with £3,000 worth of debt - that's it.

Finding jobs was easy. But living was cheap too - I rented a room in a nice four-bed terraced house for £20 a week.

I could go to Netto and eat reasonably well for £15 a week. My eyes weren't ripped out the back of my head for alcohol and tobacco.

Believe it or not, housing was still, in the main and in my opinion, considered as not an investment class but somewhere you lived. House prices had been static or declining for years. You could get spacious 2-bed Tyneside flats in Gateshead for £5,000 (now close to £80,000).

Council tax was very low - in real terms, probably a third of what we paid today.

The internet and mobile phones existed but they weren't mass market. I could actually remember about 20 telephone numbers in my head - now I can barely remember my own and I've had the same contract for 10 years.

It was no utopia, that's for sure. But I loved it. I loved my life then. It wasn't carefree but it wasn't so hassled and pressured.

This is not a comment on immigration or anything else. I may have the rosiest-tinted pair of glasses on ever.

But the past seemed a lot warmer, cheaper simpler and less judgemental to me than the high-price, ultra-conformist, nanny state we grind under today.

Am I alone in this? How does 2014 compare to when you were 20?

I think you have clearly figured out that in judging the past vs. the present in terms of lifestyle it is hard to be objective. Plus peoples circumstances change throughout their lives, and then you have the fact that some things that exist nowadays simply didn't exist in the past.

I think when people look at the past they tend to remember the good things and not the bad. Also negative experiences in the past are less significant than in the present because they are done with and gone and can be looked on as "character building" in retrospect, whereas while you are experiencing them they are miserable.

!994 was a great year for me, bought my company back after selling it to a PLC in 1991. Spent the interim three years on a fat salary as a director and, when the PLC went bust, bought the business back for £1. Sold it again in 2008 and retired.

It was certainly less congested in those days - on the roads, in the street and in the malls etc. London didn't have a congestion charge.

There weren't security guards in every doorway and all over the place in the malls. No cctv cameras and speed cameras.

Few mobile phones - people walked upright looking where they were going and not constantly looking down texting.

Far less obesity.

No continual telephone spam.

Edited by billybong

!994 was a great year for me, bought my company back after selling it to a PLC in 1991. Spent the interim three years on a fat salary as a director and, when the PLC went bust, bought the business back for £1. Sold it again in 2008 and retired.

So you made your money from Tory boom & bust followed by Labour boom.

Not the impression I had of you from your posts.

1994 was shite, Commodore International went bankrupt.

Amen to that. The Amiga 500 really was 'the computer for the rest of us'. If only Commodore hadn't fumbled its successors.

Boffing a fit French bird.

In a band.

Out on the lash in Camden and West End every weekend.

Just bought my 2 up 2 down in E17 for £54k....working in the NHS as a Purchasing Officer on £15k.

So you made your money from Tory boom & bust followed by Labour boom.

Not the impression I had of you from your posts.

I made my money between 1979, when I started my first business, and 2008 when I retired. As with all businesses some years were better than others. The early Thatcher years were anything but boom.

Edited by Bruce Banner

I was at universtiy and had summer job. I did not have any debts as uni was free and my grant paid for my digs. And the summer job paid for fun and the car. I think my summer job was £140quid a week. there was no tax credits yet I dont remember not being able not to afford anything. I had no trouble finding jobs unlike the current 20year olds. I work as waiter , golf course dogsbody, index shop and at fairground.

One thing i remember is if you walked in town there was just english people. There was not tesco at every turn and no big issue sellers.

I don't think anyone who was alive in Britain in 1994 could consider 2014 an improvement, at least in social and economic terms. Thirteen years of Labour was an utter disaster for the country, and I can't see how it will ever recover.

I'm financially much better off now than in 1994, better informed, better travelled, and have many more life choices and much better relationships (friends and partners).

The reason I think the UK is much worse now than in 1994 is not my personal position, but because I can see for the vast majority of the UK population they are less happy, less fit and healthy, less educated, less socially cohesive, less financially secure, and less safe. Pretty shit all round for most of them.

The only personal thing I would wind the clock back for is my parents and grandparents - to see them again.

24, renting, full time job. Saving 5k with boyfriend for our first house. Bought that in 1995, 2 up, 2 down in Surrey, roughly twice our joint salaries (15k & 20k IIRC). Interest rates were around 6-7%. There was a bad recession in the early 90's but providing you were wiling to do what was offered getting work wasn't a long term problem. We were average earners, never skint. The music was great, Brit Pop was rife and Grunge was excellent. We saw shed loads of great live music, went to loads of festivals, and had an excellent time. I don't fancy the chances of a couple of 20 somethings, in average jobs, with no family help, getting close to that now. Going back to 1994? Where do I sign up.

I don't think anyone who was alive in Britain in 1994 could consider 2014 an improvement, at least in social and economic terms. Thirteen years of Labour was an utter disaster for the country, and I can't see how it will ever recover.

2014 is certainly not an improvement in many ways.

That may be because I'm a 40-yr old family man with bills to pay - not a 20yr optimistic, hard-drinking, hard-smoking, hard-working studo-type.

I think what's different is my Dad always said to me that he would never have wanted me to grow up in the era when he grew up - he was happy the world had changed.

When my son reaches 20 (some time off yet), would I wish him to live his life and experience his youth in 1994 or 2032? I can't see things changing that much so I think I'd send him back to 1994.

It all comes down to house prices versus wages.

My sister graduated in the mid 90's and got a job on £18k, a flat in Clapham cost £95k.

The same job now pays £25k, the person taking it will be tens of thousands in debt through student debts and the same dive in Clapham recently sold for £375k.

Seriously?

What specific things did Labour do that ruined the country beyond any repair?

In terms of cost of living etc 1994 was better. Of course having a mobile, internet etc which we have now is great. Of course if politicians wanted (they don't) we could in 2014 have similar cost of housing as in 1994 but sadly too many people in the UK think ever rising house prices is great (I am not one of them).

I was at uni in 94 if I had known what the country was going to be like in 2014 I would have done medicine and emigrated.

It all comes down to house prices versus wages.

My sister graduated in the mid 90's and got a job on £18k, a flat in Clapham cost £95k.

The same job now pays £25k, the person taking it will be tens of thousands in debt through student debts and the same dive in Clapham recently sold for £375k.

Thank you for an almost perfect summing up. I would like to add that your sister paid less than £1K stamp duty and now it would be over than £11k!

Edited by iamnumerate

Seriously?

What specific things did Labour do that ruined the country beyond any repair?

Hmm. Let me think about it. I know there's something...

Generally not personally many things started to deteriorate from 2000......no time is a perfect time, but there have been far better all round recent times than now. ;)

I think the biggest change is that back then, people could imagine that things were going to get better. In 2014, it feels as though we're at the end of the road in terms of world politics, economy, engineering solutions, equality, climate change. People are so fixed in the present now, over-working, obsessing with the banal distractions of their comms devices, living in a rehash of past music, art and ways of thinking. In 1994 I felt as though I was on a linear journey to new things, to witness new discoveries in my times. Britpop was probably the end of that linear progression in music, we just ran out of new tunes. We didn't get back into space. We didn't invent a new form of propulsion or energy creation, we're still flying around in the same old jets. Cars haven't changed for 20 years, we just get better at the things we've already done. And when people met and drank we talked about what we were going to do, what was new and coming, we didn't take pictures of our food and talk about HPI. But now, in 2014, we're stuck with old systems of politics and commerce that are no longer relevant or fit for purpose. The lack of quality and conviction in the new politicians is a mark of that.