House Price Crash Forum
Andy T

226 New Homes Planned For Hazel Grove, Stockport

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/proposed-developments/england/greater-manchester/stockport/mirrlees-drive

Plan for new build housing on former Mirrlees Blackstone Diesel Engine factory site.

10% will be affordable housing, naturally.

I used to work there and left about around 10 years ago, I was back in the area last week and noticed that they had recently demolished the old factory main building, very sad to see. It's a big site, years back there was always talk about building houses on the fields/golf course at the back, but there was always strong local opposition. In its heyday I think it employed 5000 or more, and around 1500 when started there in 1995.

The main factory closed around 2006 IIRC, but they built a new headquarters/training facility (now MAN Diesel & Turbo) and large metal shed at the back of the site, where the cooling water reservoirs used to be. Quite cleverly it freed up the front of the site for development, without having to touch the greenfield part of the site. Only one narrow road passing the site, either going towards Stepping Hill/A6, or Bramhall in the opposite direction, but then I guess 200-odd homes equates to less commuters than the 5000 workers once employed there.

Thoughts?

Many of these types of development on 'brownfield' sites are White elephant's (I don't know the in's and out's of this one).

I a lot of cases the land would be better returned to greenfield by simply leaving it or planting it with mixed shrubs and weeds then building homes on greenfield sites where they're actually required in this century.

Far to sensible for central planners to consider, let alone the planning law taking this into consideration.

New supply = +ve. Mostly residential area so seems appropriate.

Timescales

Reserved Matters planning submission August 2014

Planning approval December 2014

Start on site January 2015

First home completed May 2015

4 months from start to completion? Wow! Just in time for election.

Plenty of other housing to choose from in surrounding area though without the new build premium and the development at Woodford to compete with, tough not sure of those timescales. Imagine theyd be more expensive too.

My pet hate (from the plan) rooms in the loft space. i.e. a 3bed is sold as a 4/5 bed with hefty premium but common with new builds.

..I guess 200-odd homes equates to less commuters than the 5000 workers once employed there.

Didn't realise the site was quite that large (Taylor Wimpy site plan). Accessed from a little roundabout now iirc. Think I might prefer one of the period houses in Great Moor / Woodsmoor than one of those newbuilds, although an associate told me although theirs looks pretty, some costs with roof and stuff.

Friend worked on Pepper Road Industrial Estate a bit further up, and seem to recall going with them to some event at Mirrlees many years ago; think Mirrlees had its own bar/social club on site (?).

Last year, another Industrial Estate just off the same road a bit further up, Newby Road - got out of the car and found myself looking at 'Assetz' signage for their HQ there.

Many of these types of development on 'brownfield' sites are White elephant's (I don't know the in's and out's of this one).

I a lot of cases the land would be better returned to greenfield by simply leaving it or planting it with mixed shrubs and weeds then building homes on greenfield sites where they're actually required in this century.

New supply = +ve. Mostly residential area so seems appropriate.

4 months from start to completion? Wow! Just in time for election.

Plenty of other housing to choose from in surrounding area though without the new build premium and the development at Woodford to compete with, tough not sure of those timescales. Imagine theyd be more expensive too.

My pet hate (from the plan) rooms in the loft space. i.e. a 3bed is sold as a 4/5 bed with hefty premium but common with new builds.

I noticed that although the factory was demolished and cleared, the floors/foundations still existed - probably a 100 years worth of machine oil/diesel and god knows what contaminating the ground below - so four months seems very optimistic if they also have hazardous waste disposal to deal with too, digging out to quite some depth, carting away then backfilling.

Yes loft space rooms in these new builds, another way to extract even more profit. Lots of rooms but never the feeling of 'space' I imagine.

Didn't realise the site was quite that large (Taylor Wimpy site plan). Accessed from a little roundabout now iirc. Think I might prefer one of the period houses in Great Moor / Woodsmoor than one of those newbuilds, although an associate told me although theirs looks pretty, some costs with roof and stuff.

Friend worked on Pepper Road Industrial Estate a bit further up, and seem to recall going with them to some event at Mirrlees many years ago; think Mirrlees had its own bar/social club on site (?).

Last year, another Industrial Estate just off the same road a bit further up, Newby Road - got out of the car and found myself looking at 'Assetz' signage for their HQ there.

It did indeed, the social club was at the front of the site and was demolished a few years ago, unfortunately it was closed all the time I worked there. From the stories I heard it sounded like years back it was well known for dinner dances and various sporting/interest clubs etc. Apparently they used to advertise on local buses to entice people to go and work at Mirrlees - good pay and the social club was one of the other benefits. It's hard to imagine that happening anywhere now.