House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
classixuk

Having Trouble Getting Through To The Council Offices These Days?

Hey, guess what folks? There can't possibly be a house price crash anytime soon because unemployment is at record lows! There are more jobs in the UK now than there have ever been. Infact in some cases the amount of jobs being created outstrips the provision of facilities to enable the employees to do their job!

What's he talking about you ask?

Well, here goes...this one is hilarious...and VERY VERY true.

Got in touch with a friend who used to work with me 12 months ago and he starts telling me about his new job. He's working for Liverpool City Council now doing some non-job or other.

There's a problem though. His job is maintaining databases and there are now 8 people doing his job. They all sit around a desk set up in the call center and have to share one computer taking turns each. It's not that bad though as not all 8 have to share at the same time as the desk only sits 5 people. The other 3 work from home on "tele-call" duties. They all take turns to work from home and work in the office on the shared computer.

Well I nearly fell off my chair when he told me (he was calling me on the telephone from home during his "tele-calls" of course)! Gordon Brown has created that many public service jobs to avoid increasing unemployment figures that 8 people on £18-£20K a year are either sat at home watching Trisha or waiting for their turn on the PC.

And yes, I did ask him if there was some other work they could be doing while waiting to use the PC such as paperwork or filing and his answer...

"No. We're not allowed to use or do anything on paper. The managers have told us we must keep a paperless office and everything is to be done on the PC!"

He couldn't make it up if he tried. :lol:

Anyone else know any friends or family who are working in a "non-job"?

Local Authority IT is about to be outsourced - this is seen as the big next earner for IT consultancies and the Government sees it as a way of reducing costs, modernising LA IT and... well, whatever else they aim to do.

So, at the moment several of the big IT consultancies are in deals with LAs to not just outsource the IT of a particular authority but to then set up IT centres that run the IT for numerous LAs around the country.

Local Authority IT is about to be outsourced - this is seen as the big next earner for IT consultancies and the Government sees it as a way of reducing costs, modernising LA IT and... well, whatever else they aim to do.

So, at the moment several of the big IT consultancies are in deals with LAs to not just outsource the IT of a particular authority but to then set up IT centres that run the IT for numerous LAs around the country.

Do you have any more info or links on this as I work in local authority IT. :(

You lot bleat about local government all the time but just watch costs spiral upwards once people like Crapita get hold of it. They have cost millions extra in failed public sector IT contracts (read any issue of Private Eye for details).

You lot bleat about local government all the time but just watch costs spiral upwards once people like Crapita get hold of it. They have cost millions extra in failed public sector IT contracts (read any issue of Private Eye for details).

there is a more general tendency, whenever any firm quotes to do work for a council, to significantly over-state the costs. Bit of a soft touch you see. Contractors sometimes won't think twice about ripping off the public sector (ie the taxpayer)

However this is usually because the civil servants in charge cocked up the specification for the project in the first place.

Edited by Young Goat

Hey, guess what folks? There can't possibly be a house price crash anytime soon because unemployment is at record lows! There are more jobs in the UK now than there have ever been. Infact in some cases the amount of jobs being created outstrips the provision of facilities to enable the employees to do their job!

What's he talking about you ask?

Well, here goes...this one is hilarious...and VERY VERY true.

Got in touch with a friend who used to work with me 12 months ago and he starts telling me about his new job. He's working for Liverpool City Council now doing some non-job or other.

There's a problem though. His job is maintaining databases and there are now 8 people doing his job. They all sit around a desk set up in the call center and have to share one computer taking turns each. It's not that bad though as not all 8 have to share at the same time as the desk only sits 5 people. The other 3 work from home on "tele-call" duties. They all take turns to work from home and work in the office on the shared computer.

Well I nearly fell off my chair when he told me (he was calling me on the telephone from home during his "tele-calls" of course)! Gordon Brown has created that many public service jobs to avoid increasing unemployment figures that 8 people on £18-£20K a year are either sat at home watching Trisha or waiting for their turn on the PC.

And yes, I did ask him if there was some other work they could be doing while waiting to use the PC such as paperwork or filing and his answer...

"No. We're not allowed to use or do anything on paper. The managers have told us we must keep a paperless office and everything is to be done on the PC!"

He couldn't make it up if he tried. :lol:

Anyone else know any friends or family who are working in a "non-job"?

Now you are surely having a larf here?

This must be but a figment of your very fertile imagination, perhaps assisted by some chemical substance?

Such obviously inefficient working practices could not possibly happen under the managerially so efficient NL

regime.

there is a more general tendency, whenever any firm quotes to do work for a council, to significantly over-state the costs. Bit of a soft touch you see. Contractors sometimes won't think twice about ripping off the public sector (ie the taxpayer)

Spot on Fancypants. One of my big bug bears. I buy about £100k worth of goods and services a year and do my level best to avoid pre arranged council contracts. The contracts are often so convoluted they cost more. My department are currently building a big concrete box for me to work in and I reckon we are paying about £2million too much. This is because only a few contractors are large enough to do the work and jump through all the paperwork hoops so they can pretty much make up the prices. It is nothing to do with the specification or contract being poorly done.

A few years ago we wanted to put a mezzanine floor in and had a quote from a contractor that included the cost of technical drawings for planning permission. We had to pay an additional £10k to another council department for them to do it even though it was offered for 'free'. All this to safeguard taxpayers money. doh!

Spot on Fancypants. One of my big bug bears. I buy about £100k worth of goods and services a year and do my level best to avoid pre arranged council contracts. The contracts are often so convoluted they cost more. My department are currently building a big concrete box for me to work in and I reckon we are paying about £2million too much. This is because only a few contractors are large enough to do the work and jump through all the paperwork hoops so they can pretty much make up the prices. It is nothing to do with the specification or contract being poorly done.

A few years ago we wanted to put a mezzanine floor in and had a quote from a contractor that included the cost of technical drawings for planning permission. We had to pay an additional £10k to another council department for them to do it even though it was offered for 'free'. All this to safeguard taxpayers money. doh!

ouch

I also understand that the "approved contractors" thing is basically a closed shop affair where contractors will offer substantial bungs (allegedly) to get their firms on the list as its so lucrative doing work for the council

ouch

I also understand that the "approved contractors" thing is basically a closed shop affair where contractors will offer substantial bungs (allegedly) to get their firms on the list as its so lucrative doing work for the council

I knew I was doing something wrong. I got sent a personal organiser last Christmas by a client and had to give it to the Lord Mayors Charity :(

We will never get rid of all this public sector jobs as they will keep voting labour in. Who's going to vote to have their job taken away?

I think that's the idea. 1 Million more public sector people = 1 Million more Labour voters.

I knew I was doing something wrong. I got sent a personal organiser last Christmas by a client and had to give it to the Lord Mayors Charity :(

Well I shared my bunch of flowers with the office to avoid a conflict, but I had to put it in the gifts register (it would have been churlish to refuse them - thats the problem with the new politically correct world, it doesn't understand symbolic offerings or mutual manners and respect - price of a bunch of flowers?) ... But the BIG question is... with jobs like these around, why am I working my ass off?

Edited by Elizabeth