House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Argentina Passes Law Stating That All Public Transport And Stations Must Display The Words 'the Falklands Are Argentina'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2842735/Argentina-passes-law-stating-public-transport-stations-display-words-Falklands-Argentina.html

Argentina has passed a new law stating that all public transport and stations must display the inflammatory words: 'The Falklands are Argentina'.

The new regulation was approved unanimously in parliament last night after it was proposed by MP Teresita Luna.

Daniel Filmus, secretary of state for Falkland affairs, tweeted the announcement, saying: 'Public transport will carry the message #LasMalvinasSonArgentinas, an initiative from @terelunalarioja approved unanimously.'

Pity the people who actually live there don't feel the same way. Still at least the Argentine economy isn't on the brink of collapse, just as is the the UK's.

They should really erect signs saying 'Argentina belongs to the Amerindians'

We should make them a deal.

We'll give the falklands back to the penguins if they bugger off back to spain/italy/germany and give back argentina to whatever natives remain.

Meanwhile ...

UK is major priority, says Wines of Argentina as exports soar. Argentina’s total wine exports to the UK have soared 36% on last year for the first six months of 2014, says Wines of Argentina’s European and Asia director Andrew Maidment.

http://www.harpers.co.uk/wine/americas-wine-news/argentina/argentinas-total-wine-exports-to-uk-rocket-36/371492.article

They should really erect signs saying 'Argentina belongs to the Amerindians'

We should make them a deal.

We'll give the falklands back to the penguins if they bugger off back to spain/italy/germany and give back argentina to whatever natives remain.

Well quite (except that there wasn't anyone living on the Falklands before the Europeans arrived). AFAICT Argentina's very tenuous claim is based on Spain's so perhaps they should surrender their independence if they're not going to be inconsistent.

Well quite (except that there wasn't anyone living on the Falklands before the Europeans arrived). AFAICT Argentina's very tenuous claim is based on Spain's so perhaps they should surrender their independence if they're not going to be inconsistent.

We apply that logic because it suits us, but if the French came along and set up settlers on some of the small Scottish islands and suddenly declared them French I don't think our stance would be "well they do have a point.. There wasn't actually anyone living there."

Either way, it is clearly a sore point for the Argentinians who feel it should really be theirs. It's not like we really need it other than for the sake of having a military base down there so there must be some kind of political solution. Like making it an independent country or something.

We apply that logic because it suits us, but if the French came along and set up settlers on some of the small Scottish islands and suddenly declared them French I don't think our stance would be "well they do have a point.. There wasn't actually anyone living there."

Except of course that Paris is nearer to London than the Falklands are to Argentina. Presumably it would also have the knock on effect globally of us losing the channel islands to France, Gibraltar to Spain, Orkneys back to norway, and whatever remaining islands we hold in various far flung places to their local tinpot dictators.

Bad enough we gave up the colonies, India and Hong Kong.... It would be interesting to see what other borders and territories globally would be shifted by a return to 1800's maps, doubt there would be many happy faces across the globe.

Er... they were not Argentinian, or anybody's, until Britain claimed them. Britain discovered them.

Scottish islands, i.e. alread accepted as part of Scotland, not unclaimed, unknown islands. Big difference.

Either way, it is clearly a sore point for the Argentinians who feel it should really be theirs. It's not like we really need it other than for the sake of having a military base down there so there must be some kind of political solution. Like making it an independent country or something.

Diddums for them then. They've never been Argentinian. They're under some idiotic notion that they should be their's just because they happen to be relatively nearby and use some rather flimsy claim from back before there even was an independent Argentina to try to justify that. I suppose if I claim it's a sore point with me that next door's house isn't mine I should just be given it?

Anything that helps to keep the populace's minds off the state of the country.

Too right, given the state the UK is in (Ponzi housing market, an inept government working for the banksters, rapidly rising inequality) we should stop getting distracted by a tiny island thousands of miles away and focus on more pressing issues.

Too right, given the state the UK is in (Ponzi housing market, an inept government working for the banksters, rapidly rising inequality) we should stop getting distracted by a tiny island thousands of miles away and focus on more pressing issues.

Well it's not the UK government which is telling every village post office (any left?) to paint "THE FALKLANDS ARE BRITISH" over the doors.

I think the stock British reply should consistently be:

'Malvinas? Never heard of 'em. Anywhere near the Falklands?'

A more telling response would be to ask why, if the islands are 'really' Argentinian, the Argentinians themselves call them by the name of a French fishing port?

I thought the UN view on this is that the people in a territory have the right to determine whether they want independence or who they want to be governed by.

The people there voted pretty much unanimously to remain part of the UK in a recent vote.

End of story.

I suppose Argentina's argument is that that doesn't count if you kick out a population, move your people in, then ask them what they want. It takes quite a vivid imagination to turn that into a valid argument though for the Falklands, and since anyone conceivably effected is long dead then so bloody what? Even giving them the benefit of doubt wrongs done to your great great great grandfather aren't wrongs done to you.

I thought the UN view on this is that the people in a territory have the right to determine whether they want independence or who they want to be governed by.

Crimea....