House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_dork

Kindles, Readers, Scribd And All That

Does anyone have a view? I am getting with the times and have bought a Kindle Paperwhite…so far am underwhelmed. Find it quite hard to find things to read, most of the free stuff is crap. I’m not sure whether the Kindle Unlimited is worthwhile, again I find it hard to browse but I guess you get the classics and I see it has Piketty on there.

As I get plenty of reading time at work, I joined Scribd (£8 or so a month) which seems to have a lot more stuff and is easy to read at a desktop. However, I’ve now found out it’s not compatible with the more basic Kindles only the ipad type units so not sure if I’ll carry on with it.

Mainly read pop science and stuff about politics/economics, would like to read more fiction but both Kindle Unlimited and Scribd seem to be potboiler fluff which doesn’t really interest me.

Anyone pay for particular services on their device?

I have a kindle 3g, I've had it since 2011. I really love it. I mostly read the free classics from amazon, or from Project Gutenberg. It has a web browser with global free 3g access, although it's very slow and I only use it for emergencies really.

Once in a while I'll trawl the free kindle book websites and download contemporary stuff that looks decent, but a lot of it is rubbish. I don't think I've actually paid more than about £10 in total for books in three years.

I've "bought" a clutch of novels for my Kindle. I fully understand I don't really own the books, but I have bought a huge number of physical paperbacks and thrown them away over the years due to lack of space so ironically a DRM'd title from Amazon is probably a better long term investment for me. I get through a novel very quickly on the ereader - the marketing spiel about the device not getting in the way of you and the book turns out to be quite true. To be honest my main problem is I've lost the reading habit over the years so sitting down with a lengthy text without dipping out every five minutes to watch kittens on youtube or play a Batman game feels a little weird. I will be taking the device with me to Thailand next month in the hope it makes the journey more bearable.

Sturgeon's Law definitely applies to contemporary free content. If your Kindle still has the web browser then perhaps try the Guttenberg Project's mobile web site at http://m.gutenberg.org for old stuff. It works well with my older device with keyboard.

Real books have never been cheaper. You can buy 40,000 books for less than £3k. A lifetime of reading. Imagine if you owned 40,000 books 20 years ago it would be unthinkable.

I got a Kobo Touch when they were on £30 special offer at whsmith a while ago. I've never read so much, I could never have got through so many novels if they were paperbacks. I bought it on a bit of a whim, but it's surprised me just how much I plough through books with it.

The reason I went for the kobo is it can read a wide range of formats compared to the kindle. So you've got much more choice of books from the web and just load them on. Also does chess and sudoku.

I've never used a different ereader though so can't offer a comparison.

Find it quite hard to find things to read, most of the free stuff is crap.

Are you searching for stuff on the device itself? I wouldn't do that, just use Amazon's website from a desktop/laptop.

Most free of cheap stuff from no-name author's is garbage so I'd avoid that. Older classics should be free from Project Gutenberg (amongst other places) as the posters above have said.

I've got the most basic current Kindle and I love it, like the space saving of not having physical books and I find it easy to use.

Are you searching for stuff on the device itself? I wouldn't do that, just use Amazon's website from a desktop/laptop.

Most free of cheap stuff from no-name author's is garbage so I'd avoid that. Older classics should be free from Project Gutenberg (amongst other places) as the posters above have said.

I've got the most basic current Kindle and I love it, like the space saving of not having physical books and I find it easy to use.

Thanks, hadn't realised it worked like that. Yes, I'm a real luddite, got my first smart phone last year, maybe I'll get one of these ipod things next

EDIT: not got my Kindle with me, but struggling to find decent list of free stuff on Amazon, classics etc. Any ideas.

Thanks, hadn't realised it worked like that. Yes, I'm a real luddite, got my first smart phone last year, maybe I'll get one of these ipod things next

EDIT: not got my Kindle with me, but struggling to find decent list of free stuff on Amazon, classics etc. Any ideas.

The classics will be easy to locate, just think of a book! For example I just typed 'great expectations' into Amazon and the first result was the free kindle version.