House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rantnrave

Job Interview Dilemma

Would appreciate any thoughts re a dilemma I’ve got after a job interview I had with another firm. Making the move would mean a 30% jump in salary, but relocating to a more expensive part of the country. It kind of balances out, but the quality of housing stock re family homes is better over there.

During the interview, it became clear to me that they hadn’t fully thought through this new position they had created. Their expectations are too unrealistic from where they are currently at. They also separately mentioned about a total of three staff (of 25 ish) who were in the process of or had recently moved on. That made my mind up to turn down the job if I was offered it.

Instead, they want me to come back and discuss working with them in a different area (which I have a lot of experience from in the past). They haven’t finalised a job description and I’ve said I’d need to see that before taking things further.

My gut feelings:
They hadn’t got their act together re thinking through the original role I applied for which isn’t a good sign
Their strategy and recruiting seems to be based around the skills of people they come across rather than being planned
Three people out of 25 have left since the summer – not a great sign surely?

In addition, their income is dropping at 5% per year, which is why they are pushing in new directions.

Worth jumping ship for or keeping at a barge pole’s distance?

What was most attractive to you and the basis of your going for interview - the job/opportunity (it is niche/not widespread?), or the possible location, what was the driving force?

As you mention the housing in justification. If so, and you'd prefer to live there.. any other employers you can approach in that area first?

You'll spend maybe half your week at work and you already have your doubts, but then you still question whether to pursue even though you seem firm on the idea that the company might be a shambles.

Maybe go for the second interview and see if they acquit themselves a little better while looking around.

gut feel is something to take note of, but unless are under pressure to get a job / make a decision, why not invest a bit more time to see how it plays out

- why can't you suggest what the job description looks like (based on your experience in the area)

- 3 staff from 25 leaving is of little consequence unless you know why

- why is the salary only a 30% increase on your current? For this other job, if you can justify the job is worth more, ask for more

Choose quality of life over career every time if you are snesible.

My initial thoughts on reading what you wrote is that it sounds a mess of a job which will be stressful with unrealistic demandsa puts on you.

I made the huge mistake some years ago of taking an IT contract in Wales with a privatised former Welsh utility company - I ended up very stressed and very ill from going from working in a true corporate environment where people pulled their weight to an environemtn where, IMPO,people had done sweet FA their entire working lives. I have never recovered from that role.

Would appreciate any thoughts re a dilemma I’ve got after a job interview I had with another firm. Making the move would mean a 30% jump in salary, but relocating to a more expensive part of the country. It kind of balances out, but the quality of housing stock re family homes is better over there.

During the interview, it became clear to me that they hadn’t fully thought through this new position they had created. Their expectations are too unrealistic from where they are currently at. They also separately mentioned about a total of three staff (of 25 ish) who were in the process of or had recently moved on. That made my mind up to turn down the job if I was offered it.

Instead, they want me to come back and discuss working with them in a different area (which I have a lot of experience from in the past). They haven’t finalised a job description and I’ve said I’d need to see that before taking things further.

My gut feelings:

They hadn’t got their act together re thinking through the original role I applied for which isn’t a good sign

Their strategy and recruiting seems to be based around the skills of people they come across rather than being planned

Three people out of 25 have left since the summer – not a great sign surely?

In addition, their income is dropping at 5% per year, which is why they are pushing in new directions.

Worth jumping ship for or keeping at a barge pole’s distance?

Sounds like a good strategy to me. How many business plans do you know of that actually work ?

Choose quality of life over career every time if you are snesible.

My initial thoughts on reading what you wrote is that it sounds a mess of a job which will be stressful with unrealistic demandsa puts on you.

I made the huge mistake some years ago of taking an IT contract in Wales with a privatised former Welsh utility company - I ended up very stressed and very ill from going from working in a true corporate environment where people pulled their weight to an environemtn where, IMPO,people had done sweet FA their entire working lives. I have never recovered from that role.

Yup. I saw a better job with a £20k pay rise for more hours but as it's further away I couldn't commute and would have to rent a flat which would swallow up most of the rise. I haven't applied.

During the interview, it became clear to me that they hadn’t fully thought through this new position they had created. Their expectations are too unrealistic from where they are currently at.

Had an interview once where it became clear the job was to come in and manage a team to get an overly ambitious project on track and completed.

I said it was overly ambitious and said why, explaining that:

i) it couldn't be done with the staff skills they had available

ii) there was insufficient time given the number of staff committed

iii) there weren't paying enough for the skills they needed from the advertised position

The interview panel, who would have been my managers, looked visibly relieved that someone finally realised the task they had been given by their managers.

I got the feeling I would be offered the job

I was

I turned it down. Nothing but trouble.

Thanks everyone - some extra things for me to mull over.

I have been frustrated where I currently am because I think I have the experience and background to earn more than I do and have been overlooked twice for more responsibilities & pay now. However, there are some other work-life perks. We rent a place which is 15 mins walks away, so I get to see a lot more of the family. It's also at a very cheap rate which we wouldn't get anywhere.