House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Telephone Booths

Is there any use for a telphone booth today?

Aside from the obvious; impromptu lavatory, adding to your tart card collection, issuing carefully timed, point to point directions to men running with briefcases, probably not. It's all quite handy though.

Booth?

Aye, those red boxes, with windows missing that smelled of urine, and might have a telephone in it.

Come to think of it, my girlfriend dumped me from inside a phone booth. It was raining and well, she choose that moment to break it to me. Still checked for change in the coin slot though.

There's one down in Cargreen in Cornwall by the Tamar river and its the local book exchange so you can go help yourself etc. Mind you it stinks of pisss and of course it is a good place to find some real yellow pages!!

There's one down in Cargreen in Cornwall by the Tamar river and its the local book exchange so you can go help yourself etc. Mind you it stinks of pisss and of course it is a good place to find some real yellow pages!!

Wasn't that always just so? ;)

Aye, those red boxes, with windows missing that smelled of urine, and might have a telephone in it.

Precisely. We're not Americans (or at least I don't think we are).

Call yourself a Yorkshireman? In my part of Yorkshire they're white (and as a result, the council painted one gold after one of the residents won a gold medal at the olympics)!

I saw one in someone's garden outside Bushy Park the other day and the one outside the Natural History museum has become an ATM.

Several fallen-down telephone boxes form a piece of 'art' in Kingston. I am rather fond of them. If I'd ever worked out how to do links on the iPad I would show you. But you could google Kingston telephone boxes if you want to waste a minute.

BT are about to remove the (modern) box in the side street next to our house. There's a rare type of big red one on the main road, and I think the residents association are keen on preserving it.

Call yourself a Yorkshireman? In my part of Yorkshire they're white (and as a result, the council painted one gold after one of the residents won a gold medal at the olympics)!

I saw one in someone's garden outside Bushy Park the other day and the one outside the Natural History museum has become an ATM.

Hull?

Several fallen-down telephone boxes form a piece of 'art' in Kingston. I am rather fond of them. If I'd ever worked out how to do links on the iPad I would show you. But you could google Kingston telephone boxes if you want to waste a minute.

It used to be easy to post.

http://emmaeklund.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Telephone-Boxes-Kingston.jpg

They have one of those in Lewisham.

As for an actual working phone box, there is one just off Peckham Rye Park. That's the only one I can think of that is actually a phone box and not an empty shell. I suspect the positioning, next to two large ish council estates is the reason it's still going, although I doubt it gets much use at all.

There were always a few clusters at the main train stations, think they are still there but can't really remember seeing them lately.