House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Dashcams

After one plum too many on the road recently, I'm very tempted.

Not Blackvue 200 notes tempted or hooky Chinese electro is for a tenner off eBay tempted but tempted.

Anyone got one they think is the schizzle?

They seem to be de rigueur in Russia, I think mainly because getting into a car is akin to playing Russian roulette - some truly terrifying clips on youtube.

They seem to be de rigueur in Russia, I think mainly because getting into a car is akin to playing Russian roulette - some truly terrifying clips on youtube.

They're used specifically in Russia because of the rise of the kind of insurance scammery the UK has started to import in recent years.

The upside being the consequent rise in UFO/ meteor/ fire in the sky footage making its way onto Youtube.

Be careful. The moment you install one, your journeys will be plagued with asteroids, overturning trucks, fist fights between drunken car owners and exploding tankers.

They're benefits but I wouldn't want the dash cam to reduce my fertility.

real problem with me for all of this stuff is hiding it/switching it on every time.

For example I like my GPS, but its a faff to take it down and put it in its locker every time. This is the best argument for a factory fitted satnav if you ask me.

Are there any discreet dashcams ?

Indeed. I think that half of Russia's economic woes are due to their insatiable appetite for cars (bigger market than germany now) and their habit of crashing them.

Must wreck havoc with the balance of payments given their taste for kraut and jap cars.

If I can piggy back on ths thread so to speak, why are those "action helmet cams" or whatever hudreds of quid, when you can get a cheap camera the does video for under 50. It's not just the cost of memory, because the memory cards are often extra.

(Alternatively phrased, can anyone recommend a cheap helmet cam?)

Dashcamtalk.com has a few listings and a forum. My 720p Livue dashcam is ok but easily bettered by more recent releases (1080p is now found on most cams it seems). That said the sector is crying out for a bigger player like Samsung, seems to be characterised al too often by buggy hardware and software at present.

If I can piggy back on ths thread so to speak, why are those "action helmet cams" or whatever hudreds of quid, when you can get a cheap camera the does video for under 50. It's not just the cost of memory, because the memory cards are often extra.

(Alternatively phrased, can anyone recommend a cheap helmet cam?)

Go pro just realeased one for 99 I think.

As for cost - sturdiness and water resistance must cost a bit extra. The difference does appear a bit more than just explained by that however.

Its the 'sporty' premium. Like why 'men's running tights' cost £30 when m and s sell quality merino wool ones that do a better job for a tenner.

You pay a premium for a silver stripe.

Yes, but they get nicked too.

Really? I thought GPS was right about his, er, GPS as in if it came integarted into the dashboard it was pretty much safe as it couldn't just be lifted out and refitted.

Yes, depending on make and model of car quite a few GPS units just fit in standard or double DIN slots. Obviously this doesn't apply to the fancy ones that are next to the speedo, etc or on top of the dashboard. Having them stolen is apparently quite a big problem for VWs.

I bought one for £25 off eBay. It's OK, does the job.Have been using it since June.

When I next upgrade to a half decent car I'm considering a Roadhawk system.