House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Can Anyone Recommend Me A Good Woodworking Router Under 100 Quid?

Can anyone recommend me a good woodworking router under 100 quid?

For occasional DIY use, not for professional use.

That said I would like something reliable and precise.

All I can remember about woodworking was the hand position on a saw...Thumb, one, three.

First need to make the decision of 1/2" or 1/4". If you want to cut worktops and work with larger moulding bit profiles you'll need to go 1/2". A smaller 1/4" unit is much nicer to use and lighter for detail work. I'd look for a good condition s/h Elu - the variable speed E versions of the 96E for 1/4 or 177E for 1/2 inch. There are more modern Dewalt versions of these two available S/H too. Look for as many accessories as possible in a deal (Elu based models will have the best cross compatibility) - you will also be looking for a table to mount the router most likely for example. The cutters and accessories will cost more than the machine itself most likely. Rutlands do offers on their Tornado bit sets which a decent mid range bits.

I have this Bosch (POF 1400 ACE) and am very pleased with it. It doesn't take fullsize (1/2") professional bits however. Despite this I have cut 22mm beech kitchen worktops with it without any problems at all.

If you are only doing light work the smaller version might also suit

Both well under £100.

Apparently those Bosch units are made in China and are getting a lot of negative reviews (at least here in Germany where I am), I was thinking more about a Black&Decker which seems quite decent and I haven't found anything negative about it so far:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/KW900EKA/

Does anyone have experience with this model?

The s/h ELUs I'm seeing here in Germany are too expensive (150-200 Euro) and frankly I would rather avoid buying a second hand unit as I have never used a router before so I don't know what to look for to make sure I don't get sold a flawed unit.

Any other suggestions?

I would either stretch to £150 for an Hitachi or buy the cheapest you can find and keep your fingers crossed you get as much use as you need before it fries itself with a plume of smoke.