House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Peer Pressure - Things You Do Because Everyone Else Does

Don't know how this started, but if you eat in a fast food joint like McDs, you see everyone take their tray to the bin afterwards and tip out their rubbish.

I've never seen an order from McDs, so how did that become a custom? (it works too, I feel an absolute scoudrel if I leave the tray on the table, despite the fact there are always staff walking around and cleaning)

Don't know how this started, but if you eat in a fast food joint like McDs, you see everyone take their tray to the bin afterwards and tip out their rubbish.

I've never seen an order from McDs, so how did that become a custom? (it works too, I feel an absolute scoudrel if I leave the tray on the table, despite the fact there are always staff walking around and cleaning)

Yes, noticed that years ago in Maccie D's.

Do you mean personally do, or what do you see other people do?

People do all sorts of shit because they see other people doing it...........

I don't think that is a good example.....I would have thought most people would take the tray to the bins provided anyway, leaving your waste and clutter on the table blocking up the table for other people is bad manners and not entirely thoughtful. ;)

People do all sorts of shit because they see other people doing it...........

here is an idea - pour a bucket of iced water over your head. Silly I know (it will never catch on) ...

als-ice-water.jpg?w=1100

There's peer pressure and then there's just being a decent person, clearing up your rubbish and queuing are the latter, chucking a bucket of water over yourself is the pathetic former. I like to think that I'm fairly immune to that although since I wear ordinary clothes there's still a good degree of doing what everyone else does for pretty arbitrary reasons.

It's a while since we've been in one.

As someone who's worked in one, I didn't care if you did or not. Sometimes having something to do was better than having to find something to do.

I find the bins bloody awkward to use one handed (the swing top pushes the rubbish back toward me unless I angle the tray) as I nearly always take my drink with me, so I've ended up just leaving my tray now.

Isn't admitting you eat in fast food joints like signing your own social death warrant ?

Only to people so holier than thou that they're in danger of disappearing up their own holy.

Kiss nuns on the cheek as a greeting...

Bear hug women in public places...

I think marriage is the ultimate answer to this question. Possibly having children as well.

Small talk (although I'm slowly phasing this out).

Social drinking.

Tipping.

As for the ones I've resisted:

Tattoos

Piercings

Reality tv

Ice bucket challenge

Social media

But if you combine two peer-pressure behaviours, like doing the ice-water challenge while disposing of your tray in MacDonalds - some bugger will complain!