House Price Crash Forum

Waste Of A Perfectly Good House?

anonguest

HOLA441

First and foremost, to make absolutely clear lest anyone think I am heartless, this was a dreadful crime for sure and any decent person would feel sorry for the parents concerned, etc etc etc

BUT, unless in speed reading through the article I missed something, WHY does the house of the convicted killer have to be destroyed??!! AND at local ratepayers expense!!

It's one thing for the local authority to unilaterally decide to buy the property but at least they could have given it to any one of no doubt many who would have been happy to buy or rent it. Or they could have turned it over to some use for the local community? IF the council wanted to make a nice public spirited gesture that surely would have been as good as they could have done? Giving opportunity to those in need of it. Surely that would be a nicer memorial to the poor child taken away in such horrid circumstances.

I really just don't get this sort of pointless touchy feely nonsense that various persons/bodies of influence see fit to engage in - and at our expense. The general British public may have been getting progressively 'softer' and losing their 'stiff upper lip' for decades but at least the 'authorities' didn't pander to it. Just when did this take hold?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-30074199

HOLA442

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3593137.stm

Prevent anyone from finding new evidence?

I imagine in the case of Fred West they destroyed a lot of it looking for bodies.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/fred-west-house-to-be-demolished-1356745.html

"The city council said that the strategy of complete destruction was decided on because of the "sensitive nature of the site"."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9976451/Child-killer-Mick-Philpotts-house-to-be-destroyed.html

Paul Bayliss, the council leader, said: “Who would want to live in a house where six children have died and why would you want to live next door to a house where six children have died?”

HOLA443

The general British public may have been getting progressively 'softer' and losing their 'stiff upper lip' for decades but at least the 'authorities' didn't pander to it. Just when did this take hold?

Perhaps it has always been the case?

10 years ago ...

The house in which Ian Huntley murdered two girls in Soham was discreetly demolished at the weekend.

To make the symbolic erasing of the house even more complete, the rubble from the site was taken away to a secure site to be crushed before a final disposal.

and 18 years ago ...

Contractors will begin work on Monday to demolish completely the Cromwell Street home of serial killers Frederick and Rosemary West and a derelict neighbouring building.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Prevent anyone from finding new evidence?

I imagine in the case of Fred West they destroyed a lot of it looking for bodies.

"The city council said that the strategy of complete destruction was decided on because of the "sensitive nature of the site"."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9976451/Child-killer-Mick-Philpotts-house-to-be-destroyed.html

Paul Bayliss, the council leader, said: “Who would want to live in a house where six children have died and why would you want to live next door to a house where six children have died?”

Well we will never know because he (and others like him) never put it to the public to answer the question - and I am sure that, at the right price, there would have been no shortage of takers of the offer.

A classic example of the mentality of 'them' knowing what 'we' want.!

HOLA447

There was the use of 'house of evil' again re. this story today. Hear it a lot with this sort of story.

I don't like it. Just making excuses for the behaviour of humans IMO.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I lived a couple of streets away from Fred West's house, after the events, it was in a small terrace and the neighbours would not have wanted all the weirdos and gawpers turning up to see it.

Plus you would question, or I would, anybody who actively wanted to live in it,

HOLA4414

I lived a couple of streets away from Fred West's house, after the events, it was in a small terrace and the neighbours would not have wanted all the weirdos and gawpers turning up to see it.

You might, but I wouldn't. Each to their own.

IF the sole reason for wanting it/to live in it really was for morbid curiosity and/or some tenuous 'claim to fame' in bad taste then so be it - so long as they didn't make a song and dance about it and kept their fetish to themselves and did not knowingly upset the sensibilities of everyone else.

At the end of the day it is nothing more than a house. A pile of bricks and mortar. There to serve a purpose of providing shelter - and heavens knows we are short of the stuff up and down the country.

Demolishing a perfectly sound and habitable house because someone died in it (in the case referred to in my OP the little girl was actually probably murdered elsewhere and the only 'notoriety' of the house is that it was being lived in by the killer) is frankly daft. Where do you draw the line on this overly ridiculous emotional behaviour? Scrap a perfectly good car because a passenger or pedestrian may have been killed in a collision with it?!

Being in the mood to be deliberately cynical and mischievous here.......I note the the house was rented. Who was the owner? Someone with connections to the council/purchasing body in any way? And what price were they paid compared with current market rates. Who made the original request for its demolition?......

As originally said the parents grief must be dreadful and I wouldn't wish it on anybody BUT there are ways of remaining pragmatic and sensible and, if so requested to do these sorts of silly gestures, to decline them in sensitive ways without resorting to telling them bluntly to get over themselves and rise above this sort of medieval superstition......

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

If it was cheap enough and people were desperate enough.

I can certainly see a case for the West's house for the reasons you gave, but the one originally mentioned I can't see any reason.

HOLA4417

There is a great X-files movie in there somewhere - a government department that has to identify and demolish sites of terrible murders or bloodletting, or else daemons burst through and eat people's brains.

The opening episode could be where a breach has happened and a zombie populace are in control. House of Westminister, for example.

HOLA4418

There is a great X-files movie in there somewhere - a government department that has to identify and demolish sites of terrible murders or bloodletting, or else daemons burst through and eat people's brains.

The opening episode could be where a breach has happened and a zombie populace are in control. House of Westminister, for example.

Sounds like Sapphire and Steele.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I watched The Life of David Gale the other night and the new home owner opened up the house to paying guests to do the death tour.

Perhaps they were worried some sick ***** may do something similar.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Funny.

The latest rightmove survey asks if you've ever seen a ghost.

A niece and her husband took over a rambling old pub a few yrs ago. The very last thing on their minds was ghosts - one priority among many was turning an unused attic into bedrooms for their kids. However, their dog would not enter that attic - simply would not put a paw over the threshold, although she had no problem with any other area. None of the humans sensed anything at all, but of course they had to wonder why the dog was behaving so oddly.

Eventually a local woman who professed to be a medium offered to come. According to her there had been a murder there, albeit a long time ago, and it was the murderer, not the murderee, who was still hanging around out of remorse. At any rate, she asked him to go, and he evidently went, because immediately afterwards the dog was happy to wag her tail all over said attic - which according to local lore had once been a knocking shop.

HOLA4423

A niece and her husband took over a rambling old pub a few yrs ago. The very last thing on their minds was ghosts - one priority among many was turning an unused attic into bedrooms for their kids. However, their dog would not enter that attic - simply would not put a paw over the threshold, although she had no problem with any other area. None of the humans sensed anything at all, but of course they had to wonder why the dog was behaving so oddly.

Eventually a local woman who professed to be a medium offered to come. According to her there had been a murder there, albeit a long time ago, and it was the murderer, not the murderee, who was still hanging around out of remorse. At any rate, she asked him to go, and he evidently went, because immediately afterwards the dog was happy to wag her tail all over said attic - which according to local lore had once been a knocking shop.

These mediums and psychics, eh? Worth every penny....

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived