London,

N1 5SP

went for

£100,000 in August 2002

then

£116,000 in November 2002

but today, at Barndard Marcus auction, with a guide of £120,000 plus

it didn't sell.

interesting. What's it like round there? I suspect it to be rough.

why would this place be at auction do you think?

interesting. What's it like round there? I suspect it to be rough.

why would this place be at auction do you think?

It's pretty rough - De Beauvoir is a dodgy estate, and this seems to be one of the blocks down by the canal. I don't know that one, but the ones I've been to have been in a bad state. There are worse places in Hackney, but that's not saying much.

Guest Fiddlesticks

It's certainly a bad area. I wonder what sort of condition the flat was in. I'm not sure any conclusions can be drawn from this though.

It's pretty rough - De Beauvoir is a dodgy estate, and this seems to be one of the blocks down by the canal. I don't know that one, but the ones I've been to have been in a bad state. There are worse places in Hackney, but that's not saying much.

There are far worse estates than De Beauvoir - in fact I was told that at one time (admittedly the mid nineties - so things may have changed) it was one of the most requested estates for Hackney council tenants to go to - admittedly not saying much. It also had a very active tennants association.

Looking at the results at BM's website this flat had a reserve of £135,000 and the bidding stopped at £128,000.

Another flat in the same block, number 50, also went unsold. It had a reserve of £115,000 but the bidding stopped at £106,000.

I STRed from Hackney. Owned a 3 storey terrace from 1999 - Nov 2004 on a lovely street. Sold for 340k.

115k to live in block there is crazy. You could'nt drag me back there to live in the best houses on the best street. The sheer volume of blocks in hackney, clapton, leyton means this place will NEVER 'up and come'. It is and always will be the **** end of London

I STRed from Hackney. Owned a 3 storey terrace from 1999 - Nov 2004 on a lovely street. Sold for 340k.

115k to live in block there is crazy. You could'nt drag me back there to live in the best houses on the best street. The sheer volume of blocks in hackney, clapton, leyton means this place will NEVER 'up and come'. It is and always will be the **** end of London

if you don't mind me asking - how much did you buy for & which bit of Hackney was it?

if you don't mind me asking - how much did you buy for & which bit of Hackney was it?

Not at all. I paid £160k. The house was on Mayola Road a pretty tree lined street.

I loved the house, was georgous 3 story and 5 internal levels but in the end sold for three main reasons.

1. the garden was tiny

2. The neighbouring house was DSS and the lovely little blighters used to throw rubish over the wall. There was 6 of them and all aged 1-6 I feared what living there would be like when they became teenagers.

3. I work in watford and really want a detached house and a garage so decided that is was the time to selll and bank the equity.

Incidentally, the house is now probably worth 10k more! LArgely due to tyhe olympics bid i think but I am saving loads by renting within walking distance to work.

If you are thinking of buying in hackney do it with your eyes open. In truth i would rather have a house in hackney than a flat in clapham but the area is and always will be rough!

Not at all. I paid £160k. The house was on Mayola Road a pretty tree lined street.

I loved the house, was georgous 3 story and 5 internal levels but in the end sold for three main reasons.

1. the garden was tiny

2. The neighbouring house was DSS and the lovely little blighters used to throw rubish over the wall. There was 6 of them and all aged 1-6 I feared what living there would be like when they became teenagers.

3. I work in watford and really want a detached house and a garage so decided that is was the time to selll and bank the equity.

Incidentally, the house is now probably worth 10k more! LArgely due to tyhe olympics bid i think but I am saving loads by renting within walking distance to work.

If you are thinking of buying in hackney do it with your eyes open. In truth i would rather have a house in hackney than a flat in clapham but the area is and always will be rough!

Thanks for being so forthcoming. I'm moving onto Powerscroft Road in February. Doing a housesit for six months, the owner only wants his mortgage covering. I'm not entirely sure when he bought but we'll be paying a total of less than £700/month for a 3 bedroom place.

I am thinking of buying in Hackney, but it won't be for a few years yet. I've got mucho saving to do in the meantime, and prices have got to come a lot further my way! Anyway, who knows what my life will look like in 3-4 years...

That part of Hackney doesn't seem unduly rough to me, but then again I spent 10 years living up the road from the house where the 7 July bombs were prepared.

I suspect that those parts of London are, very much like last time, the most wickedly over-priced of the lot and will take the biggest hits when the time comes. That's partly why I fancy the area long-term, I would hope to be able to get a pretty nice place... I expect it to represent good value as it's poor reputation will be greater than the reality (ie it's not anything like as yucky as people tend to imagine)

at least that's true in certain bits. Posh folk automatically rule out areas without even investigation - lazy assumptions. I've lived in some beautiful places (rented) over the years, very cheaply - because they were ostensibly in poor areas, but you wouldn't have known from the immediate surrounds

Thanks for being so forthcoming. I'm moving onto Powerscroft Road in February. Doing a housesit for six months, the owner only wants his mortgage covering. I'm not entirely sure when he bought but we'll be paying a total of less than £700/month for a 3 bedroom place.

I am thinking of buying in Hackney, but it won't be for a few years yet. I've got mucho saving to do in the meantime, and prices have got to come a lot further my way! Anyway, who knows what my life will look like in 3-4 years...

That part of Hackney doesn't seem unduly rough to me, but then again I spent 10 years living up the road from the house where the 7 July bombs were prepared.

I suspect that those parts of London are, very much like last time, the most wickedly over-priced of the lot and will take the biggest hits when the time comes. That's partly why I fancy the area long-term, I would hope to be able to get a pretty nice place... I expect it to represent good value as it's poor reputation will be greater than the reality (ie it's not anything like as yucky as people tend to imagine)

at least that's true in certain bits. Posh folk automatically rule out areas without even investigation - lazy assumptions. I've lived in some beautiful places (rented) over the years, very cheaply - because they were ostensibly in poor areas, but you wouldn't have known from the immediate surrounds

I am a Hackneyite.

The pros:

Some beautiful houses. Nice parks. Although it supposedly has a high crime rate, you've probably got less chance of being mugged than in the likes of Fulham or Clapham. Remnants of East End culture (markets, vintage greasy spoons).

Cons:

Lousy public transport. High council tax, rubbish services and council with a Nazi-like war on motorists. Lack of decent shops and restaurants in many parts (unless you want a kebab or a ladies' wig). High turnover of people - no sense of community (unless you arrived with your whole community). High incidence of care-in-the-community nutters wandering round trying to stab invisible aliens.

On balance, I'll be moving out to Essex when the prices are sensible.

I am a Hackneyite.

The pros:

Some beautiful houses. Nice parks. Although it supposedly has a high crime rate, you've probably got less chance of being mugged than in the likes of Fulham or Clapham. Remnants of East End culture (markets, vintage greasy spoons).

Cons:

Lousy public transport. High council tax, rubbish services and council with a Nazi-like war on motorists. Lack of decent shops and restaurants in many parts (unless you want a kebab or a ladies' wig). High turnover of people - no sense of community (unless you arrived with your whole community). High incidence of care-in-the-community nutters wandering round trying to stab invisible aliens.

On balance, I'll be moving out to Essex when the prices are sensible.

That sounds about right. It's the lunacy that got me down in the end (I'm still in Hackney borough, but up in N16, while I used to be just off Mare St). I've temped in various North-East London libraries when between jobs, and Hackney was the only one where barely a day passed without a fight between users, or one of the members of staff being threatened or just shouted at by nutters.

Even if it gets cheap again I don't think it's worth the hassle - though to be fair I haven't lived down there since the exalted likes of Rosie Millard moved in (and straight out again). I guess a few of the same idiots who infest N16 have been driven out there by not being able to afford Islington any more. There are other "poor" bits of London I would recommend, but not Hackney.

Ah, if you put me on the spot it makes me more tentative. With Hackney it's partly familiarity breeding contempt as it's my bit of town - I'm more reluctant to make judgments about other corners of the city. But I guess I'd think of places like Walthamstow, Acton (though that's pretty pricey now I think), Harrow, even Peckham/Nunhead/Edges of Dulwich / Camberwell before Hackney. I'm not an expert on South London and I think you need to know the area to avoid the worst bits, but I'm told there are rough but OK bits that are cheaper than anything north of the river. East, I think you can still get stuff in Leytonstone / Wanstead that's not too ridiculous. Hackney has a kind of tenuous trendiness and the proximity to Islington / City / Hoxton (don't start me...) can mislead you into thinking it's got to get better over time, but it never does and probably never will - sorry if that makes me sound snobby, I don't mean I want everywhere to turn into Hampstead, but there is a happy medium.

Feel free to ignore me though - I'm only expressing personal prejudices after all - a lot of it maybe depends on where you already know people and places. You'll get a pretty good view of Hackney from Powerscroft Road anyway - you might find you like it more than me. El Pirata's description of the pros is very accurate - Victoria Park, Columbia Rd flower market, walking distance to Brick Lane are all good things. You're right too that places like that are likely to fall more than others if prices fall. It might be good to be familiar with the area if prices fall as there might be bargains. If pushed I'd recommend the Dalston side of Mare Street going towards Ridley Road (another fabulous market) as it's a bit less insane but you'd need to know the area well to get it right. If prices stay as they are for a while I'd be very nervous of any of the other areas I've mentioned because they all look dreadfully overpriced to me, even if they are cheap for London, but Hackney's shockingly overpriced at this stage for what it really is. My personal opinion is that a lot of the London boom has been driven by twenty-somethings who over-rate "edgy", urban areas close to the centre (eg places I used to go to when I was a bit younger) and under-rate the gentler more suburban bits further out (eg places I'd rather live now I've got a kid), so the prices of the former have got way out of sync.

Ah, if you put me on the spot it makes me more tentative. With Hackney it's partly familiarity breeding contempt as it's my bit of town - I'm more reluctant to make judgments about other corners of the city. But I guess I'd think of places like Walthamstow, Acton (though that's pretty pricey now I think), Harrow, even Peckham/Nunhead/Edges of Dulwich / Camberwell before Hackney. I'm not an expert on South London and I think you need to know the area to avoid the worst bits, but I'm told there are rough but OK bits that are cheaper than anything north of the river. East, I think you can still get stuff in Leytonstone / Wanstead that's not too ridiculous. Hackney has a kind of tenuous trendiness and the proximity to Islington / City / Hoxton (don't start me...) can mislead you into thinking it's got to get better over time, but it never does and probably never will - sorry if that makes me sound snobby, I don't mean I want everywhere to turn into Hampstead, but there is a happy medium.

Feel free to ignore me though - I'm only expressing personal prejudices after all - a lot of it maybe depends on where you already know people and places. You'll get a pretty good view of Hackney from Powerscroft Road anyway - you might find you like it more than me. El Pirata's description of the pros is very accurate - Victoria Park, Columbia Rd flower market, walking distance to Brick Lane are all good things. You're right too that places like that are likely to fall more than others if prices fall. It might be good to be familiar with the area if prices fall as there might be bargains. If pushed I'd recommend the Dalston side of Mare Street going towards Ridley Road (another fabulous market) as it's a bit less insane but you'd need to know the area well to get it right. If prices stay as they are for a while I'd be very nervous of any of the other areas I've mentioned because they all look dreadfully overpriced to me, even if they are cheap for London, but Hackney's shockingly overpriced at this stage for what it really is. My personal opinion is that a lot of the London boom has been driven by twenty-somethings who over-rate "edgy", urban areas close to the centre (eg places I used to go to when I was a bit younger) and under-rate the gentler more suburban bits further out (eg places I'd rather live now I've got a kid), so the prices of the former have got way out of sync.

thanks Magpie, that's all good stuff (apart from the bit about Peckham though :blink: ) - in fairness, my enquiry is pretty notional at the moment as I'm at least two years from buying I reckon and even that will be optimistic I suspect. Who knows what my life will be like or how far the HPC will have unfolded?

I'm in no rush. While I'm still a bit "edgy" I am no longer a 20something and would like to have children in the not-too distant (purely for the purposes of pushing the buggers on and working before I'm dribbling in a wheelchair).

Round Victoria Park is lovely, even some bits of Mile End. London is the prime example of being a real jumble of good and bad, with virtually every part of town having an element of both.

thanks Magpie, that's all good stuff (apart from the bit about Peckham though :blink: ) - in fairness, my enquiry is pretty notional at the moment as I'm at least two years from buying I reckon and even that will be optimistic I suspect. Who knows what my life will be like or how far the HPC will have unfolded?

I'm in no rush. While I'm still a bit "edgy" I am no longer a 20something and would like to have children in the not-too distant (purely for the purposes of pushing the buggers on and working before I'm dribbling in a wheelchair).

Round Victoria Park is lovely, even some bits of Mile End. London is the prime example of being a real jumble of good and bad, with virtually every part of town having an element of both.

All sounds good, and if I inadvertently suggested South London is OK, please ignore me.

Hope you have a good time in Hackney.

All sounds good, and if I inadvertently suggested South London is OK, please ignore me.

Hope you have a good time in Hackney.

no, no, I wouldn't dream of it. I like bits of South London, I just have a couple of bad memories of Peckham, that's all!

I cycle through Hackney every day so feel like I know a little bit about it. It would probably scare me otherwise. I had the general impression that the area around Powerscroft Road was mostly ok, but I guess my six months there will be a good enough way to find out!