House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Taking Notes Means You're More Likely To Forget Something

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/taking-notes-means-youre-more-likely-to-forget-something--lJkHnrMswl?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100

A recent study has found that people who takes notes are more likely to forget the information they are presented with if they write it down compared to those who don’t.

Researchers from Mount St Vincent University in Canada took two groups of participants to play the game Concentration - the “memory card game in which the identity and location of pairs of cards need to be remembered”.

They have gave one group a pen and some paper and left the other group without - half way through the game, the group with the pen and paper had their notes unexpectedly taken away from them.

By the end of the game, the group without notes throughout had performed significantly better.

The findings, published in the Memory & Cognition journal, suggest that the human brain “intentionally forgets” information it thinks is safely stored elsewhere.

Forgot what I was going to post here....

At university many years ago one of the lecturers told me not to worry about taking notes. He thought that you should concentrate on understanding the concepts and ideas being presented rather than writing down a list of technical points that you could just look up later anyway. It always stuck with me as a very good way of looking at it, and I rarely take notes at meetings or presentations. The exception is when you're being shown something very nieche that your not going to be able to look up later. In those circumstances I think it's better to take some notes.

Blimey! I hope we didn't have to pay for this.... :rolleyes:

People who had the rules changed halfway through a game did worse than those who didn't.... is that a reference to QE? :lol:

That's why smartphones make their users dumb and that's why I still use a dumbphone and have no intention of ever switching to a smartphone... :)

BTW, I don't use a navigation system either for the same reason(which is why I knew central London roads better than most cabbies when I used to live in London).

That's why smartphones make their users dumb and that's why I still use a dumbphone and have no intention of ever switching to a smartphone... :)

BTW, I don't use a navigation system either for the same reason(which is why I knew central London roads better than most cabbies when I used to live in London).

There should be a thread about that ;)

Indeed. When I was at work and something was going over in my mind when I was trying to go to sleep, I used to write it down and then I could let my mind rest. Well known technique.

Indeed, on end the cornerstones of something like Dave Allen's "Getting Things Done" system. Out of the head, into the 'system' let's you think about solving not remembering.

The other great thing he mentions is positive thinking. Not standing in front of a mirror telling yourself you'll be rich like some get rich quick property seminar loon but thinking about solving problems is shown to drive creative thinking to solve the problem. Brainstorming to the non-PC of us.

Makes sense. If you write it down you dont have to try remember it.

Isn't that the only reason (aside from that it has advantages in that you can make an early distribution if necessary especially if meeting with external companies).

Then you can focus on other matters.

They actually spent money on the study. "Civilisation" is going backwards.

Writing notes is a complete waste of time for me as what little I can read of them makes any sense anyway. Just stresses me out trying to make sure I have all the important info down. Result is a list of words scribbled on a bit of paper and no comprehension at all.

People just have different ways of learning.

Taking notes.....as we only recall or remember 20% of what we listen to taking notes means we can be sure we remember some of the important (to us) poignant relevant points...of course we miss what is said directly afterwards because far too busy noting what we mean to never forget, who is to say unless we wrote notes we would not remember any of it or only 10% of as a minor irrelevant detail. ;)

I always take notes and then throw them away!