House Price Crash Forum

I've been looking for a new flat following a move to London for a new job and forced to look a bit further out due to massive Central London prices I've discovered Beckenham in South East London. Seems too good to be true and I wondered if any forum users know the area and have a view as to why property prices in the town are lower than surrounding areas. The town has a leafy, village like feel with plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants on the High Street and fantastic travel links with a 20/25 minute train journey into Victoria or London Bridge/Charing Cross and even Thameslink all the way to Bedford from a station at Beckenham Hill. 2 bed, 2 bath balcony flats with off street parking and a garage seem to average about £350k which seems great value for a property 25 minutes from the West End or City. Is there something I am missing or is this a hidden gem in South East London?

Wow. A 2 bed flat for approx 13x the average local wage sounds too good to be true to me. Bite their hands off but remember to keep plenty of cash held back for the train fare and enjoy standing all the way on your commute there and back.

2 bed, 2 bath balcony flats with off street parking and a garage seem to average about £350k

Where do I sign???? :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I haven't been able to find someplace further out that gives me the choice of travelling in to Victoria, London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo East, Charing Cross, Blackfriars or any Thameslink station such as Farringdon or St Pancras International/Kings Cross. That's the main reason I think I've found a gem

I haven't been able to find someplace further out that gives me the choice of travelling in to Victoria, London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo East, Charing Cross, Blackfriars or any Thameslink station such as Farringdon or St Pancras International/Kings Cross. That's the main reason I think I've found a gem

Do/will you really need to travel to all of those places regularly?

That's the main reason I think I've found a gem

If you keep repeating it enough you may start to believe it. In my last 50 yrs, almost everyone who has bought a house claims to have got a bargain or made a killing. Believe me you are paying the market value.

Lived in Beckenham for about three months a couple of years back - the area seems just OK, a few cafes and poncy shops to balance the general grimness and sky high Pitbull index (the number of people walking around with pitbulls wearing those daft leather studded collar things).

But generally OK for London given the good transport links. Also had some allotments with bee keepers, and an OK sports centre / pool.

I rented a flat over some shops on one of the main roads near a junction, in the end the noise drove me to the brink of madness so I left.

Value wise it didn't seem too bad, though that's from the distorted viewpoint of someone who had to commute into the centre every day and needed a two bedroom flat on a lowish salary.

When I say the area is OK I mean in a 'leper with the most fingers' sort of way. Wouldn't say it's 'a hidden gem'.

I've been looking for a new flat following a move to London for a new job and forced to look a bit further out due to massive Central London prices I've discovered Beckenham in South East London. Seems too good to be true and I wondered if any forum users know the area and have a view as to why property prices in the town are lower than surrounding areas. The town has a leafy, village like feel with plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants on the High Street and fantastic travel links with a 20/25 minute train journey into Victoria or London Bridge/Charing Cross and even Thameslink all the way to Bedford from a station at Beckenham Hill. 2 bed, 2 bath balcony flats with off street parking and a garage seem to average about £350k which seems great value for a property 25 minutes from the West End or City. Is there something I am missing or is this a hidden gem in South East London?

That is great value, I'll buy 2!

The high street is punch-up central on a Saturday night, or so I'm led to believe.

TBH I echo the other posters on this thread in saying that, to me, £350k for a two bed flat in Zone 4 SE London isn't value, it's mental. But there's nothing particularly wrong with the place. You could also have a look in Hither Green- there are apparently lots of bail hostels on or around Hither Green Lane, and a commensurate number of beggars and mentals hanging around, but there seems to be a concerted effort by deluded middle class types to gentrify the area, and there are loads of trains from Hither Green station, where two quite busy lines into the centre converge. My best mate rents a flat on the old hospital site and it's pretty nice, he's happy enough there.

Its quite a nice place, sort of between working to middle class, only you can decide, it is slowly getting more trendy with a few hipsters moving in.

But it will never be dalston.

The SE London stretch does have that advantage of having links to all of the stations, but you need to ask yourself how often you would really use them. A lot of the SW areas where I live have a fast connection to Waterloo, but not really to anywhere else. Not a massive problem in it's own right, but if that one train company goes down, there is no other way into town.

Whether £350k for a 2 bed flat is actually good value is a completely different question. It might be reasonable compared to other areas of London, but if you look at the thread that I started on neighbouring Penge, you will see that it is not necessarily good value compared to just a year or so ago.

Some prices in that area have almost doubled in a year for no other reason than the availability of cheap money and frenzy in the market. Assuming Beckenham is the same/similar, do you really want to pay double what somebody else paid for the same property only recently?

Even the papers are now carrying articles saying that London prices will not rise for the next 5 years, and even that is quite a bullish view.

I guess it is the same old advice - if you need to buy now, you can afford a few small interest rises and will stay there quite a while, then go ahead and buy. If you are buying because you think that prices will continue to rocket, you may be disappointed, but who knows?

Spent 3 years living there (next to New Beckenham station). Very quiet away from the high street and the transport links are great. The downsides were that the area has become 30% more expensive to buy and £300 to rent over the last couple of years and of course Penge across the road, so had to move further towards South-East. Over said three years two very large family houses next door were rebuilt into 4 or 5 flats each!

To illustrate the madness is the anecdote about one neighbor sold for 300K in 2010 and the other had pretty much exactly the same house on the market for 560K 2,5 years later.