House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

John Lewis Chairman "more Than A Fifth Of Uk Jobs Only Require The Educational Level Of An 11-Year-Old"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30019547

More than a fifth of UK jobs only require the educational level of an 11-year-old, the chairman of the John Lewis Partnership has highlighted.

Sir Charlie Mayfield drew attention to figures showing 22% of jobs demand only primary school-level skills.

He called for a "step change in the number of people earning and learning" to boost qualifications.

Without change, he warned it could get "more difficult" for people to climb the career ladder.

Or maybe it shows that for a large section of the population, 'qualifications' are irrelevant to their employability.

"More than a fifth of UK jobs only require the educational level of an 11-year-old, the chairman of the John Lewis Partnership has highlighted."

But most of them probably demand a degree to even consider you...

No shit Sherlock.

We are now over-educating most of our kids (extending school to keep them out of the jobs market), whilst at the same time loading them up with debt and aspirations that the jobs market can never meet.

Who was it who said "Education, Education. Education." ?

Edited by tinker

No shit Sherlock.

We are now over-educating most of our kids (extending school to keep them out of the jobs market),whilst at the same time loading them up with debt and aspirations that the jobs market can never meet.

Beautifully put.

No shit Sherlock.

We are now over-educating most of our kids (extending school to keep them out of the jobs market),whilst at the same time loading them up with debt and aspirations that the jobs market can never meet.

Absolutely, and really well put.

In a related theme, I've been finding out a bit about what the plan is to educate the next generation...:

http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/data/uploads/CASPrimaryComputing.pdf

Sample...

"Most programs don’t work as they should first

time round; professional programmers have this
experience all the time! One of the most rewarding
aspects of programming is finding and fixing these
mistakes. Mistakes in programs are called ‘bugs’,
and finding and fixing them is ‘debugging’.
That is great for some people, but not all. It also does sound a bit like gearing up code-monkeys to do a lot of the grunt work that has been offshored unless I'm being too cynical about this.

"More than a fifth of UK jobs only require the educational level of an 11-year-old, the chairman of the John Lewis Partnership has highlighted."

Great news for any retiring MP's then...

That's the skilled jobs. The other four fifths don't require any education whatsoever.

Edited by Steppenpig

Absolutely, and really well put.

In a related theme, I've been finding out a bit about what the plan is to educate the next generation...:

http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/data/uploads/CASPrimaryComputing.pdf

Sample...

"Most programs don’t work as they should first

time round; professional programmers have this
experience all the time! One of the most rewarding
aspects of programming is finding and fixing these
mistakes. Mistakes in programs are called ‘bugs’,
and finding and fixing them is ‘debugging’.
That is great for some people, but not all. It also does sound a bit like gearing up code-monkeys to do a lot of the grunt work that has been offshored unless I'm being too cynical about this.

Oh yeah sounds as much fun as fault-finding electrical faults. They never make me think "Oh ****** this". Not at all.

At least I have the option of saying "Nope, rip it out and let me do it properly. It's best for everyone.

A great investor once said about money making businesses, and keeping them simple;

----

Make sure your business can be run by stupid people, because one day they might be!

My job in Bank IT is very skilled, however he is absolutely right. The last three managers I've had have had no discernable skills beyond primary level. 50 grand and it's embarrassing trying to explain anything remotely complex to them.

So it's not all bad.

It makes a change from the usual complaint from business that the education system doesn't provide people with enough education and skills for business use.

Under qualified, over qualified, too old, too young etc etc etc and now you're over qualified with education beyond primary school level.

They're never satisfied - even when they're being offered cheap (even free) and subsidised labour on a plate.

Edited by billybong

If we take it that an 11 year old can write in full sentences and do basic mathematics then I don't think any specific education beyond this point is used by the vast majority of people.

Personally I think that education should change to reflect the fact anyone can learn anything. Forcing everyone to learn the same thing regardless of their own passions is bizarre when you think of it.

Personally I think that education should change to reflect the fact anyone can learn anything. Forcing everyone to learn the same thing regardless of their own passions is bizarre when you think of it.

Sometimes you need to be taught about a range of things in enough detail to know what will mesh with you.

No shit Sherlock.

We are now over-educating most of our kids (extending school to keep them out of the jobs market), whilst at the same time loading them up with debt and aspirations that the jobs market can never meet.

over indoctrinating-not over educating.

repetition,repetition,repetition.(that was blair)

I guess its lucky then that, in my experience, most educational outcomes from the UK are only of what I would expect from an 11-year old.

Stupid jobs for a nation of stupids. Perhaps the Chairman has got it right?

Whether this can be changed is a moot point. Perhaps there are some powerful people with a vested interest that it won't be?

If we take it that an 11 year old can write in full sentences and do basic mathematics then I don't think any specific education beyond this point is used by the vast majority of people.

spot on, we should let people see lots of different things and help them choose what works for them.

A lot of employers are banging on about the 'skills shortage', when really what they mean is there's a shortage of people willing to fill their zero hour contract / minimum wage / drugery-with-no-real-chance-of-improvement type jobs.

Governement confers with 'educators' who all agree that sending more youths to university to do some generalised non vocational degree, or just keep them hanging around FE colleges until 19 YO is the answer.

Employers demand open imigration to fill the 'skills gap' - and get it.

Native youth taken out / kept out of workforce to pile up debt and emerge a few years later with raised expectations but no specific work skills.

Employers recruit more EU workers as locals unavailable or 'too lazy' to do their crappo jobs.

'Educators' write in Guardian about the governments duty to magic 'high powered' public sector jobs into existance to give their indebted alumni something to do.

Rince and repeat, whichever LibLabConbo we get next year.