House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Low Economic Productivity Per Worker In Uk - Reasons?

This is, in the liberal press, a hot topic.

The question is: how come worker productivity is not increasing? How come unemployment has fallen but the economy is nevertheless not growing very quickly, because the jobs being done are being done inefficiently?

My own opinion is that the lack of social mobility and lack of reward take away the incentive. The smart people, or at least the people's smarts, have gone on strike.

This is, in the liberal press, a hot topic.

The question is: how come worker productivity is not increasing? How come unemployment has fallen but the economy is nevertheless not growing very quickly, because the jobs being done are being done inefficiently?

My own opinion is that the lack of social mobility and lack of reward take away the incentive. The smart people, or at least the people's smarts, have gone on strike.

Management - either unable to free the potential of their workforce or threatened by it.

Too many managers think greatness comes from attaining the position.

It doesn't,

Greatness comes from enabling your workforce.

I found there was no reward for being productive. I would get paid the same amount regardless and since I didn't enjoy my job much i just diced care fully around the getting fired line.

Now I work for myself and obviously things are different, well a little different.

But crap management is the main cause. Happy for their employees to never succeed.

Edited by honkydonkey

Most new jobs are going to new migrants, the Eastern Europeans are productive but the rest not so much.

Most of the British coming off the unemployment figures are going self employed and claiming tax credits on 16 hours a week etc. So their productivity is also rubbish overall.

The left always seem confused when their slimy tricks don't result in a successful economy.

There isn't enough fair paid work to do.....only plenty of low paid or no paid work to do.

I am sure many sit in offices being paid to watch the clock until release time or do unnecessary filler actions to look busy. Whilst others are rushed off their feet in other low paid jobs such as care work and cleaning etc.

Management - either unable to free the potential of their workforce or threatened by it.

It doesn't,

Definitely. Poor managers are threatened by true talent and tend to employ people around them who are slightly poorer than they are. Rinse and repeat.

I found there was no reward for being productive.

Weak managers feel threatened by a productive workforce

In my book, if productivity is low you don't need to look any further than management

As I said above, too many managers think becoming a manager is the goal, rather than being a manager.

It doesn't,

I interpret this as another side of the same coin. Vested interests for whom productivity of their minions is a threat.

Definitely. Poor managers are threatened by true talent and tend to employ people around them who are slightly poorer than they are. Rinse and repeat.

Agreed....there is plenty of well paid stuffing that could be got rid of......stuff that is not only unproductive but hinders others still with passion, energy, drive and ambition...people that have something worthwhile to offer that are in effect stunted by others and the system.

Is it because we have zombie firms bailed by handouts, we have zombie government bailed by 100bn deficits, is because we dont give a shit who pays as long as I get mine, is it because good workers are kept and poor ones are promoted.

Is it non declining debt levels.

See the sandwich thread, importing a cheap shit labourforce is britain's response to competition as far as all but the most obviously skilled up industrial sectors. Something encouraged by the politicians and the media.

http://www.mta.org.uk/whats-new/blog/members-quarterly-meeting-manufacturing-automation-technology-real-world

It is said that the UK is at least 20% behind its peers in terms of automation, and while recent evidence has shown that robot sales in the UK are growing, most of this is within the automotive industry. The aim of the session was to try to understand why this was, and what could be done to remove the barriers for other sectors.

All of the above and:

Low interest rates and cheap credit are are propping up unproductive enterprises that would have otherwise gone bust and cleared the way for more efficent and productive business.

In other words we need a good recession to clear out the dead wood and ignite the growth of productive business. Massive inequality is also holding back the growth of small business as the small people simply don;t have enough capital to start a small business, part of that is due to massive asset prices.

Poor managers will also actively work to nip in the bud any true talent that might spring up below them.

Poor management is the UK problem and I don't know how it became this way.

Self employment seems to be the only escape.

Steve Jobs commented about appointing B-teamers in the book "Leadng Apple with Steve Jobs: management lessons from a controversial genius".

Make sure you're hiring only A-players. Hire a few B-players, and they hire B's and C's, and pretty soon the whole operation is going to pot

Is it because we have zombie firms bailed by handouts, we have zombie government bailed by 100bn deficits, is because we dont give a shit who pays as long as I get mine, is it because good workers are kept and poor ones are promoted.

Is it non declining debt levels.

Also the banking system gave up on banking and business when it found fraud, debtism and ponzi scheming and gaming the the whole economy via the housing market.

They were bailed, they are still just as inept and simply unconcerned about any of their previous activities which required any level of ability, knowledge ot graft in assessing and supporting those companies that they backed with loans. Now all they are interested in is if there is a house or a taxpayer which will cough up to back the loan.

Poor managers will also actively work to nip in the bud any true talent that might spring up below them.

Poor management is the UK problem and I don't know how it became this way.

Self employment seems to be the only escape.

Steve Jobs commented about appointing B-teamers in the book "Leadng Apple with Steve Jobs: management lessons from a controversial genius".

I believe the boom years made it that way

Sensible informed approaches lost out to fly by night speculators and bullies, the latter of whom now constitute senior and mid management

All of the above and:

Low interest rates and cheap credit are are propping up unproductive enterprises that would have otherwise gone bust and cleared the way for more efficent and productive business.

In other words we need a good recession to clear out the dead wood and ignite the growth of productive business. Massive inequality is also holding back the growth of small business as the small people simply don;t have enough capital to start a small business, part of that is due to massive asset prices.

Bingo.

It seems pretty obvious really. Just from the banks, landlords and property developers who should have all been eliminated in 2008, 2009.

Instead, their largesse, debt heavy position was celebrated and bailed out.

Why bother being productive?

I believe the boom years made it that way

Sensible informed approaches lost out to fly by night speculators and bullies, the latter of whom now constitute senior and mid management

Yes, I'd go along with that,

which will make the UK economic recovery even harder as the money tightens,

Managers who 'can't do' will cut out the workers who 'could do', in order to keep the dwindling money pot for themselves.

Edited by LiveinHope

Bingo.

It seems pretty obvious really. Just from the banks, landlords and property developers who should have all been eliminated in 2008, 2009.

Instead, their largesse, debt heavy position was celebrated and bailed out.

Why bother being productive?

Plus the public sector!

Yes, I'd go along with that,

which will make the UK economic recovery even harder as the money tightens,

Managers who 'can't do' will cut out the workers who 'could do', in order to keep the dwindling money pot for themselves.

I know of an example of this happening.

A pretty big financial institution in Yorkshire, made redundancies, of the people I knew that might have been affected, the most competent, disciplined, well qualified of the lot of them got the axe.

Thing is, I wasn't surprised. He looks a mess now, he's given up.

Edited by Si1

Yes a recession is needed.

We havent had one...we are in a BUST though, the facade kept up by a cohort of zombies.

If you count the zombies in, then everything looks better than it is.

The left always seem confused when their slimy tricks don't result in a successful economy.

Do you consider the Conservative party to be part of "the left"?