House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teddyboy

Bbc Again!

ARGHHH!!!!!!!

I think since I read on the 4homes forum that GB's brother apparently works for the BBC, it would explain what utter nonsense they regard as news.

Go to BBC/Business and the head line is a killer.

NOT ONE REFERENCE TO GB's ANNOUNCEMENTS YESTERDAY WHICH QUITE FRANKLY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY!

Instead, after our 'warm weather stalls retail sales' they now have 'Cold weather boosts retail sales'!!!

WTF are they on about???? Are you telling me that I would sooner go out shopping in the RAIN, SNOW and minus temperatures to go shopping in Liverpool City Centre rather than go shopping in the summer, have a beer and watch all the totty in their skimpy clothes? COME ON!! Dont take a genius to work that one out?

But be warned people

"The message to consumers is don't wait for last-minute bargains

Kevin Hawkins, British Retail Consortium

"Pre-Christmas discounting, however, is likely to be less than in previous years as most retailers have taken a cautious view of sales and are operating on lower stock levels than last year," he said.

AND THEN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE!!!!!

The CBI said sales in November were "heavily down on a year ago" while expectations for the usually buoyant December were also the lowest on record.

W@NKERS!!!!!

Edited by teddyboy

ARGHHH!!!!!!!

I think since I read on the 4homes forum that GB's brother apparently works for the BBC, it would explain what utter nonsense they regard as news.

Go to BBC/Business and the head line is a killer.

NOT ONE REFERENCE TO GB's ANNOUNCEMENTS YESTERDAY WHICH QUITE FRANKLY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY!

Instead, after our 'warm weather stalls retail sales' they now have 'Cold weather boosts retail sales'!!!

WTF are they on about???? Are you telling me that I would sooner go out shopping in the RAIN, SNOW and minus temperatures to go shopping in Liverpool City Centre rather than go shopping in the summer, have a beer and watch all the totty in their skimpy clothes? COME ON!! Dont take a genius to work that one out?

But be warned people

AND THEN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE!!!!!

The CBI said sales in November were "heavily down on a year ago" while expectations for the usually buoyant December were also the lowest on record.

W@NKERS!!!!!

Errrr, you go and buy winter clothes. If the weather is warm you delay the buying.

I suspect a classic case of spinning figures:

The BRC said like-for-like sales - which strip out the effects of store openings and closures - in November were 0.8% higher than a year ago.

Then down the page:

WTF???!!!???

I guess that what this means is that total sales are heavily down, but because there have been so many store closures, leaving less choice, those that are left have seen a very small increase. There is no good news in this, it is only bad news for the economy.

The BBC have to be really careful or they will permanently lose the confidence of the population. It is not their job to help the economy, it is their job to report on it. If the UK economy was a football side the BBC are playing the role of loyal supporter rather than commentator.

Errrr, you go and buy winter clothes. If the weather is warm you delay the buying.

Now dont make me do a poll on this.... Sod it lets do one!!!!

I personally believe that you spend MORE money on Summer clothes than you do on WINTER clothes. Plus all the clothes you buy in the Summer for your holidays???

TB

Let the people decide

Edited by teddyboy

teddyboy, you're guilty of VI behaviour!

:)

Another poll with not enough options.

Mushroom, buys clothes anytime, unrelated to season, and always in sales.

Mrs Mushroom, similar but in France on holiday in August because designs are better.

I couldn't bring myself to take the get out clause. Fred Perry! I always liked flares though.

The bbc is pretty sh!t. But check out the website. On the front page it has 'your reaction to budget'. Quite scathing comments there. It seems we're not the only ones.

Quote:

The contraceptive effect of the housing market, the persecution of farmers and GDP producers, the feeble eduction system, the expanding ASBO gene pool, congestion and the lack of long term energy policy are going to cripple this country's economy for many years to come. This is all Gordon Brown's fault. Why doesn't one third of the population get this? Oh yeah, they get their wages or benefits from him

Fraser Irving - the problem with your argument is that we do not have a stable economy - quite the opposite - it is beginning to spiral out of control like it did under Labour in the 70's. Brown lies and conceals the true numbers in a way that would see a company financial director put in prison for doing the same thing. I lived through the aftermath of the last Labour economic shambles - it was the "little people" that suffered and it will be again. See what you think of Brown then!

Edited by bob monkhouse

the retailers were worried about a '"coat/sweater" mountain that was building in the warehouses. It was mild so people were not buying their new winter layers. Winter clothing is usually worn in layers so you need more of it, and a coat is more expensive than a t-shirt.......also loads of winter clothing is purchased for xmas gifts...so winter is a peak selling time. .........

sorry for very simplistic answer but not got my graphs and indices head on today................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

teddyboy, you're guilty of VI behaviour!

:)

Another poll with not enough options.

Mushroom, buys clothes anytime, unrelated to season, and always in sales.

Mrs Mushroom, similar but in France on holiday in August because designs are better.

I couldn't bring myself to take the get out clause. Fred Perry! I always liked flares though.

GUILTY AS CHARGED

Your right, there were many options I could have gone for but I 'PERSONALLY' believe that spending in the Winter is not based on the Weather. It is about CHRISTMAS and YES a lot of people get clothing. This is a reflection of a present being bought becuase its Christmas and not because it is cold.

The arguement that the COLD SPELL has IMPROVED SALES is complete and utter b0ll0x. CHRISTMAS has improved sales. I also admit that the cost of Winter clothing is generally more expensive than SUmmer clothing (T-shirts etc) but the report said SALES are increasing not PROFIT MARGINS. So yet again this is, in my eyes, MICKEY-MOUSE REPORTING!

Anyway we are all wrong - looks like the poll is showing that iut might be a good idea to buy into Fred Perry shares!!!! :blink:

a coat is more expensive than a t-shirt

That is what I was going to say, even if you buy clothes in the winter you are buying more layers, heavier more expensive clothes.

At the height of summer you need only buy a single layer of clothing, flip-flops and similar cheap items.

So I would expect expenditure to be higher in winter, even though the weather for shopping may be more unpleasant.

The spending orgasm that is Christmas has no comparison with summer holiday expenditure.

The arguement that the COLD SPELL has IMPROVED SALES is complete and utter b0ll0x.

:

OK then wander around in you summer clothing, a nice t shirt and shorts and see how long you last .

Of course cold weather improves sales, people want to wear this years fashion, and they can't wear their summer clothes, so they go out and buy new winter clothes.

Which is why the cold weather has increased sales, just as it does everytime when it's cold. Of course it's also true in the summer, get a cold summer and people don't buy the summer clothes.

if you have evidence of a family realation of gordon browns posting the news on the bbc site i would seriously consider contacting ofcom and see what they have to say about this.

i dont think its ethical in a democracy or for a public service to have such a suspect association.

if you have evidence of a family realation of gordon browns posting the news on the bbc site i would seriously consider contacting ofcom and see what they have to say about this.

i dont think its ethical in a democracy or for a public service to have such a suspect association.

only going of a poster on 4Homes Im afraid so if anyone knows who reverand is - ask him!

reverand

Four Silver Stars

Posted 06-12-05 10:44

Wonder how the BBC has reported this, considering his brother works for them!

This is a trick question because you can't buy winter clothes in winter or summer clothes in summer. The clothes 'industry' is always 6 months ahead/behind the seasons!

I mean there you are in the height of summer and reckon you need a new t-shirt, bl**dy shops are full of winter coats. I went to the White Rose Shopping Centre last week to buy one of my many anklebiters a coat and couldn't find one. Loads of t-shirts though <_<

This is a trick question because you can't buy winter clothes in winter or summer clothes in summer. The clothes 'industry' is always 6 months ahead/behind the seasons!

I mean there you are in the height of summer and reckon you need a new t-shirt, bl**dy shops are full of winter coats. I went to the White Rose Shopping Centre last week to buy one of my many anklebiters a coat and couldn't find one. Loads of t-shirts though <_<

Oh dear - If you read the first post I did - The BBC claim that the cold spell has brought more people to the shops. I.E. Retail sales are up. My arguement is that the fact its phucking Christmas is the reason why sales are up in December, not the fact its phucking freezing outside!

My whole point was - If I had a choice to go to the City Centre to get shopping in the Summer whilst drinker beer and watching totty, or go on the winter where I will freeze me nads off, I would naturally say b0llox to that Im staying in watching the footy with the fire/Central heating on.

I have had a time when I was supposed to go out on a Saturday night and it was that cold I said b0ll0x to it and went the offy and got loads of beers!

COLD WEATHER DONT MAKE YOU SHOP!

Think my poll shows that. People are staying in keeping warm by putting on 2 Fred Perry tops!!!

What an amazing poll - It seems the HPC'rs think todays fashion is poo :)

FRED PERRY FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!

Edited by teddyboy