House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How Not To Cross The Road

Interesting I was just about to start a new topic on this subject.

I have found in the last few years the number of people walking out in front of my car has exploded. I barely drive for an hour per day - yet have at least two people who just walk right out in front of me.

Bit mental.

How much is a broken leg worth in compo?

Don't know but if she'd bounced a bit further then the black car on the opposite side would be up for squished brain compo!

Well she had right of way on the crossing. The driver would have easily seen her and should have stopped.

Admittedly she was a bit daft though. The number of drivers in London who blissfully ignore people waiting at zebra crossings or even half way across is disturbing.

I was hit by a speeding motorcycle on a crossing. Badly injured and still disabled. Made me sick to watch it.

A "broken leg in compo" isn't worth the pain, possible long term disability and the long years of a claim.

p.s. it's that famous crossing in North London and usually full of people crossing strangely and having their photos taken.

I agree with Bruce...the black car creates a blind spot...just draw an imaginary line from the driver to the girl...some people treat zebra crossings as if they are magic carpet.

EDIT...looked at it again though and the driver should have seen the girl walking up to the crossing before entering that blind spot....so both at fault but driver should have slowed right down.

Zebra crossings are dangerous as lots of people seem to think these days that they are an automatic pedestrian right of way and no matter how close a car is the car should stop - and be able to stop - if they just step out in front of it.

Near me there is a road - Sketty Road/Gower Road, Swansea - with a couple of such zebra crossings on it. One is close to a uni accomodation block and the students just step out onto it usually without any pause/hesitation and often not even looking. Straight out in front of cars.

Further along the road there is another zebra crossing outside a park entrance and it is the Mums with prams and the dog-walkers who basically do the same as the students.

I hope all people in the above video are now OK.

I don't think he had a clear line of sight until the moment she runs into his path.

Pause it as the car first crosses the crossing. I know in real time he would have less time to react but still took ages to stop.

An alert driver should have seen the pedestrian, no question in my mind about that. To say that that the view was obscured by another vehicle on the approach is not good enough- that being the case, on an approach to a pedestrian crossing, a decent driver would have slowed markedly. The pedestrian must share a lot of DNA with a lemming though.

The idea of pedestrian crossings was that if a pedestrian set a foot on a crossing an oncoming car would stop. As cars do need a ceartain distance to stop zig zag lines leading up to a pedestrian crossing were introduced. The concept was that a pedestrian would not step onto the crossing if a car were inside the zig zag lines. It was also a rule, and it was pretty strictly enforced, the you did not park, not even stop to drop someone off, inside the zig zag lines. This was a points offense. The reason was that a parked vehicle could block the view of the crossing by and drive approaching it. All common sense rules and all seem to be ignored these days.

Incidentally, I thought that the silly girl struck the side of the moving car?

The idea of pedestrian crossings was that if a pedestrian set a foot on a crossing an oncoming car would stop. As cars do need a ceartain distance to stop zig zag lines leading up to a pedestrian crossing were introduced. The concept was that a pedestrian would not step onto the crossing if a car were inside the zig zag lines. It was also a rule, and it was pretty strictly enforced, the you did not park, not even stop to drop someone off, inside the zig zag lines. This was a points offense. The reason was that a parked vehicle could block the view of the crossing by and drive approaching it. All common sense rules and all seem to be ignored these days.

Incidentally, I thought that the silly girl struck the side of the moving car?

As a child of the 70s I benefitted from all the public information films telling me how to cross the road, cats telling me not to go off with strangers, Tufty telling me not to run into the road to chase a ball... even an advert about the think red line and how it had often been tested but never broken...

Nowadays these adverts do not exist.

Also, when I was in infants school we had the Police come around with a minature road layout that included whilte line lanes, zig zags, zebra crossings, traffic lights - all that got laid out in the school hall - and electric powered little cars and motor-bikes. We were all given a go driving the electric vehicles whilst others had to learn how to cross the road. I have no idea whether they still do this kind of thing in schools.

Pause it as the car first crosses the crossing. I know in real time he would have less time to react but still took ages to stop.

OK, but at that point she wasn't sprinting. In fact by the time she (rather weirdly) throws herself into the car, she's not even on the crossing.