House Price Crash Forum
Quiet Guy

Storing Gold Coins In The Royal Mint?

The Royal Mint are starting a new way of buying gold coins that might make sense for some people.

http://www.royalmintbullion.com/?utm_source=apex_media&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=royalmint_bullion&utm_content=728x90

To my surprise, their prices for sovereigns are not unreasonable if you are buying in tubes of 25 and there is an option to store your tubes in the Royal Mint itself - something that might be very attractive if you are worried about burglary etc.

I cannot find any mention of charges for storing "tubes" in the mint itself - this could more than make up for small price differences compared to other competitive sellers.

I am not buying right now but will be keeping an eye upon this development to see if the advert isn't hyperbole.

I'd also be interested to hear from anybody who uses this service.

Just got 2 copies of their big fancy glossy colour brochure, in the post from them. They must be making some profit from retail coin sales to afford such lavish marketing.

Saw this on HPC when it was announced a few months ago.

The FAQ page details the storage costs (linked directly from the home page)

Storage fees are charged at 1% + VAT per annum based on the average daily market value of your total gold holding that is stored in The Vaultâ„¢.

Edited by Bear Necessities

Saw this on HPC when it was announced a few months ago.

The FAQ page details the storage costs (linked directly from the home page)

Storage fees are charged at 1% + VAT per annum based on the average daily market value of your total gold holding that is stored in The Vaultâ„¢.

Argh...!!

Sorry. I missed it. There is indeed a storage charge.

As usual, apparently competitive offerings from Royal Mint aren't quite what they appear at first.

Thanks for the correction.

All good until the government calls emergency measures to 'borrow' your bullion for the foreseeable future due to some 'unforeseen' crisis.

You might as well hold fiat as to keep your money at the Royal Mint.

All good until the government calls emergency measures to 'borrow' your bullion for the foreseeable future due to some 'unforeseen' crisis.

You might as well hold fiat as to keep your money at the Royal Mint.

Exactly.