House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Windows 7 Microphone Volume

Any audio experts on here? Apparently Windows 7 microphone volume is an on-going problem (Which I only found out about today).

I'm trying to use a standard 3.5mm jack mic on my PC. Every conceivable Windows option you can think of is turned to maximum or off (Boost max, all silencing/enhancements/etc turned off) but it's still very quiet.

I guess some sort of in-line amp would work but I'm buggered if I can find one. I assumed there'd be loads of cheap things about to do the job but there aren't!

Any audio experts on here? Apparently Windows 7 microphone volume is an on-going problem (Which I only found out about today).

I'm trying to use a standard 3.5mm jack mic on my PC. Every conceivable Windows option you can think of is turned to maximum or off (Boost max, all silencing/enhancements/etc turned off) but it's still very quiet.

I guess some sort of in-line amp would work but I'm buggered if I can find one. I assumed there'd be loads of cheap things about to do the job but there aren't!

I'm having the same problem with my laptop on W8. What's occurring?

Well you can try turning up the microphone boost etc, it might work for you. Loads on google that will describe it far better than I can!

I use a microsoft lifecam and the microphone through that which plugs into the Usb and thats pretty loud.

What are you trying to do? If you are recording your own podcast shows, you might be better off with a dictaphone with a usb connection.

I had a similar problem with my new Windows 8.1 laptop. I think a lot of it had to do with the positioning of the internal microphone picking up fan noise, this USB mic did the trick for me...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Plug-Small-Mini-Desktop-Studio-Speech-Recording-Microphone-F-Skype-Msn-Video-/271382734793?hash=item3f2fabe7c9

I use a microsoft lifecam and the microphone through that which plugs into the Usb and thats pretty loud.

What are you trying to do? If you are recording your own podcast shows, you might be better off with a dictaphone with a usb connection.

What OS are you running 200p?

Will look into USB mics - it's for an Internet radio station for a mate.

I had a similar problem with my new Windows 8.1 laptop. I think a lot of it had to do with the positioning of the internal microphone picking up fan noise, this USB mic did the trick for me...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Plug-Small-Mini-Desktop-Studio-Speech-Recording-Microphone-F-Skype-Msn-Video-/271382734793?hash=item3f2fabe7c9

Cheers Bruce

Maplin do a simple mike pre-amp (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/microphone-preamplifier-qs41u) for less than £30 plus a couple of conversion leads but the money might be better put toward a new microphone.

The cheapest USB mike may be good enough for your purposes but rather than omni directional (records sound from every direction), a cardioid polar pattern (more sensitive to the front than the sides or back) desk mike will help reduce room echo and produce a much clearer and more natural sound.

The Samson Go Mic (which can switch from cardioid to omni pattern) could be worth a look at about £35 but there are lots to choose from so might be useful checking out kit recommended by podcasters then read some Amazon reviews.

Guest eight

There is a known problem with "Stereo Mix" in the recording options on W7. Certain manufacturers sound cards simply do not allow you to record internal audio. For instance my Acer laptop can, but my Dell desktop can't.

I'd investigate to make sure that isn't the problem first.