House Price Crash Forum
justthisbloke

Nimbys Holding Back Housebuilding

Article in the Economist about NIMBYs holding back housebuilding

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21629531-new-study-confirms-suspicions-about-what-drives-planning-decisions-nimble-opposition

Actually, it's an article about a report here:

http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/news/latest/shortage-new-housing-linked-number-homeowners

We found that when looking at the growth of housing stock in local planning authorities from 2001 - 2011, a 10 percentage point higher proportion of homeowners is associated with a 1.2 percentage point lower growth in the local housing stock (this is sizeable considering that the average growth of dwelling stock was 8.75).
Edited by justthisbloke

It's really a theory that's been churning in my mind for some time. There are just so many VI's who would build tomorrow, to think a few old codgers with a little spare time on their hands is preventing an Irish style building boom which bankers, land owners, the tiries and many many others would benefit from makes me a little suspicious that it's just the NIMBYS. Of course they are blamed, but seeing the way that the government does not give a shite about what anyone thinks about (for example facking), but then defends building on behalf of some NIMBY's.

I can't think fo a better explanation and I really wouldn't be surprised if the Royal Family (particularly the Queen) is the reason the country's being held in 1950's aspec. I reckon within 12 months of her death you will see some massive changes.

Of course the Royals like to hide in plain sight, so there will be no announcements you will find the official outlook changes somewhat mysteriousely. Afterall the governmet do actually work for the Royals.

And of course it could all be conspiracy theorise on my behalf, but aftering seeing the evidence for so long I just fail to see any better reason for there to be such tight controlls on building in the country compared to every other country.

I have no idea how Britain can pretend its a modern 21st century democracy when you have an unelected head of state endorsed by an imaginary being who has, to some degree, influence over how the people of this country live and work. I tried to explain this to some American friends and mentioned how lucky they are to have a constitution that formally guarantees they won't be arrested and imprisoned for speaking your mind, strange how we don't isn't it.

It is no secret that the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha clan own the country and must therefore have some say over what is built on it, I'd like to see the peoples right to high standard housing and amenities enshrined in law, protected and enforced by the councils who are supposed to work for us, regardless of the results of ancient land grabs and the "rights" of the landowners and their VI opinions.

Edited by JustAnotherProle

I highly suspect the Royal Family are pulling the strings behind the scenes on planning permission. The government walks over everyone else, why not the NIMBY's?

Well Prince Charles is the president of the National trust and the NT is pretty much set up to protect and preserve land from being developed in any way. Simon jenkins is the current chairman, famous for fretting over the living standards of water voles and grass hoppers rather than the next generation whom he has said can just live in high rises.

Jenkins allegedly has two properties, one actually built within a national park in wales.

Prince charles has this to say about the NT

'While there is an increased understanding and appreciation of precious landscape and architecture, there continues to be a growing concern about the impact of the constant expansion of urban areas, of roads and airports. These twin concerns - the positive and the negative - are expressed in television and radio programmes, campaigns and protests, and also in the growing membership of the National Trust itself.'

'I believe that the Trust's work is no less important in the countryside: it owns some 250,000 hectares and has many farmers as tenants, often in the remotest parts of the country where farming is financially precarious. Here the Trust's mission to support local communities to maintain continuity, while conserving the natural environment for this and future generations to enjoy, is so vital.'

'I hope that, like me, inspired by this valuable organization, you will have the opportunity of exploring the huge variety of beautiful places in the care of the National Trust. Members will find some unexpected and new treasures, while others, I hope, discover a wealth of beauty and history on their doorstep and, as a result, perhaps be moved to support the work of the National Trust in preserving the best of our heritage for future generations to enjoy, and, you never know, even be inspired enough to understand the continuing need for an 'organic', sympathetic building tradition when it comes to the way we build the future heritage in our precious countryside today.'

We know how famous Charles is for meddling in the background, or rather that should be we do not know the exact details as they are now exempt from FOI requests and the attorney general prevented the release of his "black spider memos" that the Guardian was campaigning to have released.

I would not be surprised if more memos were being sent behind the scenes, but lets face it Charles has plenty of support from NIMBY's all the way down from Simon Jenkins to possibly your own neighbour.

links here if you want more.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1356399613025/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltobias/2012/03/16/sir-simon-jenkins-englands-national-trust-and-the-future-of-conservation-in-great-britain/2/

Well Prince Charles is the president of the National trust and the NT is pretty much set up to protect and preserve land from being developed in any way. Simon jenkins is the current chairman, famous for fretting over the living standards of water voles and grass hoppers rather than the next generation whom he has said can just live in high rises.

Jenkins allegedly has two properties, one actually built within a national park in wales.

That muppet (I can say that - I used to work with him... ) was on BBC this morning saying how "everyone" thought that building was out of control and our countryside was in 'choas'.

Thankfully the BBC had a lady on who was independent (although the interviewer tried to rubbish this first off by trying to get her to admit she worked for large housebuilders - a question she buffed away easily by saying 'yes' but I also work for everyone else). She stated the off-used on HPC stat that only 9% of the country was built upon and came across very well.

Jenkins U-turned on his initial bluster and saying that he was not against housebuilding, just not in the country (his back yard).

That muppet (I can say that - I used to work with him... ) was on BBC this morning saying how "everyone" thought that building was out of control and our countryside was in 'choas'.

Thankfully the BBC had a lady on who was independent (although the interviewer tried to rubbish this first off by trying to get her to admit she worked for large housebuilders - a question she buffed away easily by saying 'yes' but I also work for everyone else). She stated the off-used on HPC stat that only 9% of the country was built upon and came across very well.

Jenkins U-turned on his initial bluster and saying that he was not against housebuilding, just not in the country (his back yard).

But hes happy to have a couple of houses.

People like him of which there are millions are the problem with this nation, thankfully these boomers are dying out.

He is the perfect example of a NIMBY, an ignorant and arrogant old fart with a snobby attitude.

General Boles (@GeneralBoles) tweeted at 10:12 am on Tue, Nov 11, 2014:

'Don't build on that children, it's fine as it is. Your Lego men can all live in the box'

Xmas with the Jenkins. http://t.co/1BpLsPG8Wd

(https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/532113730939912192)