House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

What Is This Job Actually For?

Tbh that's crytsal clear to me Sarah, but it would take me ages to explain it all!

In a way it's self-selecting as you'll need to understand it in the first place to get through the interview.

Think residents' groups (I know you used to have some involvement) and then expand it to cover the headings in the advert.

We positively encourage applications from disabled people, women, young people, the LGBT community and the BME community.

Racism in action, men not being humans, excluded.

We positively encourage applications from disabled people, women, young people, the LGBT community and the BME community.

Racism in action, men not being humans, excluded.

"Women" is a really odd thing to say. Most of the applicants for that type of job will be women.

I think a HA near me had a similar type thing...they have sort of lifestyle "coaches" that help you with getting jobs and sort of thing...It was part of the conditions when you apply for one of their houses...if you didn't sign up to it, you could be refused a tenancy..

http://www.oldhamccg.nhs.uk/Portals/0/Docs/BoardPapers/July2014/BGreen%20presentation%20DW%20Final.pdf

Ahh slightly more understanding now.

They want someone to earn 1.5x the national average wage to go and patronise the poorest people in Oldham.

Probably involves looking busy and shuffling pieces of paper

Edit: probably requires you act very concerned at all times for the poor whilst commuting in from somewhere push

Apparently the qualifications required are passion and enthusiasm; also they seem to be keen on someone good at spending money commissioning services

Have we gone backwards in time 6 years?

Apparently the qualifications required are passion and enthusiasm; also they seem to be keen on someone good at spending money commissioning services

Have we gone backwards in time 6 years?

I don't think we ever went forward.

Seems to be a job, with the primary role, to attempt to ensure tenants (probably referred to as clients) don't ever get treated quite badly enough that the story would make it into the Daily Mail. The secondary role would be for you to be forcibly thrown upon the Daily Mail story grenade, if it ever went off.

Is First Choice Homes Oldham independent, or a Government body? I note the job has a local Government pension.

Are housing associations supposed to be self-funding (including, of course, housing benefit payments)?

It would seem that the tenants are paying for their own social engineering, without giving any democratic mandate to FCHO.

FCHO appears to be taking over local Government roles far beyond just providing housing, without accountability to the tenants.

Looking beyond the (superficially) apparent good intentions, it is rather sinister.

Is First Choice Homes Oldham independent, or a Government body? I note the job has a local Government pension.

Are housing associations supposed to be self-funding (including, of course, housing benefit payments)?

It would seem that the tenants are paying for their own social engineering, without giving any democratic mandate to FCHO.

FCHO appears to be taking over local Government roles far beyond just providing housing, without accountability to the tenants.

Looking beyond the (superficially) apparent good intentions, it is rather sinister.

It is a main theme in the career of "community development".

Theory is, community developers help communities become autonomous through signposting and collaboration.

Practice is, community developers have empires to build, and once a community is hooked, they are NEVER autonomous again, with constant reviews from the CD team to "prove" that they are following the brief...they never let go.

FCHO http://www.fcho.co.uk/main.cfm?type=FCHOABOUTUS

We are a "not for profit" housing association, managing approximately 12,000 homes in Oldham.

Any surplus money that we make is reinvested into our homes and neighbourhoods.

We are completely independent from Oldham Borough Council and therefore do not have to depend on Government funding to improve our homes.

We are committed to ensuring all our customers receive the highest possible quality of service and customer involvement is at the heart of everything we do.

Our Board of Directors oversee the overall running of our company and makes the key decisions. A customer Independent Scrutiny Panel and service specific forums support the work of the Board of Directors.

First Choice Homes Oldham is regulated by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) who will monitor and regulate what we do to ensure that we meet the standards for managing and maintaining homes. We are governed by Industrial and Provident Society Rules read a copy here.

So how do you get a LG pension from a not-LG organisation?

You remain a live member of LGPS rather than moving to SHPS after the houses and staff tranfser to the new organisation.

It si common with many spun-off and now independent bodies such as museums.

You remain a live member of LGPS rather than moving to SHPS after the houses and staff tranfser to the new organisation.

The accountant speaks! I only know about lasers, and gas!

FCHO http://www.fcho.co.uk/main.cfm?type=FCHOABOUTUS

We are a "not for profit" housing association, managing approximately 12,000 homes in Oldham.

Any surplus money that we make is reinvested into our homes and neighbourhoods.

We are completely independent from Oldham Borough Council and therefore do not have to depend on Government funding to improve our homes.

We are committed to ensuring all our customers receive the highest possible quality of service and customer involvement is at the heart of everything we do.

Our Board of Directors oversee the overall running of our company and makes the key decisions. A customer Independent Scrutiny Panel and service specific forums support the work of the Board of Directors.

First Choice Homes Oldham is regulated by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) who will monitor and regulate what we do to ensure that we meet the standards for managing and maintaining homes. We are governed by Industrial and Provident Society Rules read a copy here.

So, over and beyond being landlords, they are taking over roles historically performed by local authorities.

But are unelected, with no obligation to actually do what their tenants want, or operate any democratic process, just 'consult', no doubt on their terms.

With a captive clientele who in practice really have little choice other than to remain ther tenants.

Who, I suspect, could ultimately lose their homes if they do not conform to the rules their unelected masters come up with?

This is the New Feudalism.

So, over and beyond being landlords, they are taking over roles historically performed by local authorities.

But are unelected, with no obligation to actually do what their tenants want, or operate any democratic process, just 'consult', no doubt on their terms.

With a captive clientele who in practice really have little choice other than to remain ther tenants.

Who, I suspect, could ultimately lose their homes if they do not conform to the rules their unelected masters come up with?

This is the New Feudalism.

And I agree with you, Mr Renting, although I believe I still have not posted you my excrement, ever.

But if it is a new HA employee, who has never worked for any Government body, does the local Government (i.e. taxpayer) pick up the tab for the HA's pension liabilities? If so , it makes a nonsense of their claim that they are financially independent of Government for funding.

What social engineering they are doing is following the remit set out for them by the Homes and Communtiies Agency, the sector regulator, and this is itself controlled by the government. They are not making it up, they can do more in soem areas than others depending upon consultation and the whims of management but they do not have a blank sheet.

If there is anything sinister about it (I'm not saying that there isn't) then this is in the way that the HCA sets the agenda.

FCHO is indeed taking over local Government roles because local Government is no longer funded to do them as Eric Pickles (and much of the blame lies with him specifically) has chopped councils' income.

But if it is a new HA employee, who has never worked for any Government body, does the local Government (i.e. taxpayer) pick up the tab for the HA's pension liabilities? If so , it makes a nonsense of their claim that they are financially independent of Government for funding.

The taxpayer doesn't pick up the tab for LGPS pensions; they are funded pensions paid for by the employers and the employees. Unlike civil servants, armed forces, polcie, fire etc.

The taxpayer doesn't pick up the tab for LGPS pensions; they are funded pensions paid for by the employers and the employees. Unlike civil servants, armed forces, polcie, fire etc.

Erm who funds the employer in a LGPS?