House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Microsoft Changes Tack, Making Office Suite Free On Mobile

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/technology/microsoft-to-give-away-mobile-version-of-office-software.html?ref=business&_r=0

SEATTLE — Few golden geese in technology have survived as long as Office has for Microsoft.

The suite of applications that includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint, first released in 1990, generated nearly a third of Microsoft’s revenue during its last fiscal year — about $26 billion of $87 billion in total. By some estimates, the software accounted for an even higher portion of the company’s gross profits.

But in a sign of the seismic changes underway in the tech industry, Microsoft, the world’s largest software company, said on Thursday that it would give away a comprehensive mobile edition of Office. The free software for iPads, iPhones and Android tablets will do most of the most essential things people normally do with the computer versions of the product.

MS starting to panic?

I purchased a copy of office 2010 from software for students (well I was at one time and still have a students union card) back in 2010.

Since then I must have installed it upon 7 different PC's (all within the family) and all my own machines. I keep expecting it to throw out the serial number but it expects it every time.

I have just ordered a new I7 with 16 gig of ram and a SSD. I will be installing it to that so fingers crossed.

I purchased a copy of office 2010 from software for students (well I was at one time and still have a students union card) back in 2010.

Since then I must have installed it upon 7 different PC's (all within the family) and all my own machines. I keep expecting it to throw out the serial number but it expects it every time.

I have just ordered a new I7 with 16 gig of ram and a SSD. I will be installing it to that so fingers crossed.

AFAIK, it doesn't check with Microsoft's servers to see if that product key has already been registered...Adobe got around this, so for instance, when you were installing Photoshop, and you entered the PK during installation, it would connect back to them to see if it was registered...I had heard that to bypass this, you changed the localhost address, so it always referred back to itself, and it probably always worked.

You find now that it all going cloud based, be it Adobe with their cloud based services, or Office 365...they don't have to distribute disks - its all a download, and its much easier to monitor licensing..

As with Apple, it sort of makes sense, as you get iWorks free with Macs & iPads..although I don't know how they would make their money...through people paying for extra cloud storage (onedrive)?

Drastically cut-down version.

I've used Google Drive and Office.com..perfectly reasonable to me...they do about 95% of what I need to do...If you need macros or mail merging, then you'll prob. need the paid for versions, but apart from that, the rest of it isn't necessary for most people.

95% of mine is excel for my small business. I have word but only occasionally use it.

All the other bloatware is on the disk as well. Publisher, One note ect. Sort of stuff you look at once think yes I can use that but never do.

Not sure I would want to be trusting critical documents to the cloud. As it is I back them up nightly in 3 places.

If I could get an annual licence for excel/word only without the rest I would probably go for it.

iworks is free on Apple.

Of course it is...Apple simply give it away, if you buy their hardware.

MS Office is a nightmare now.

CLients repeatedly lose access to installations, then you find the MS account they are registered on mysteriously isnt recognised, and you have to go back to installation keys to get anywhere.

Really, people want a CD...they want a box and a licence.

If it all goes wrong, they can easily recover.

Apple make their money from the hardware, and selling you third party software/content add-ons. Their office suite has long been near free, if not actually free with new hardware - but it's an also-ran given it's not available on non-Apple platforms.

There are certain useful features that Microsoft has omitted from their "free" Office apps e.g. the ability to put page breaks in Word, some pivot table functionality in Excel etc. I guess they are gambling these will be annoying enough to get you to fork out.

Personally, I will never pay to rent software so both Microsoft and Adobe have lost any future (albeit limited) income from me.

I think renting space/services in the cloud will be seen as a major miss step at some point in the future. The security/privacy issues will accumulate until people lose faith - especially if combined with escalating costs (which is surely the end game once critical mass is reached).

I've used Google Drive and Office.com..perfectly reasonable to me...they do about 95% of what I need to do...If you need macros or mail merging, then you'll prob. need the paid for versions, but apart from that, the rest of it isn't necessary for most people.

Mail merge is an interesting feature in that both Microsoft and Apple have both removed it from their respective free mobile Word and Pages versions.

Judging by the posts online a lot of people miss that feature.

iworks is free on Apple.

Of course it is...Apple simply give it away, if you buy their hardware.

...which saves you £60 a year (office 365 1 PC license for a year, 1 mobile) £80 a year (office 365 5 PC licenses, 5 mobile) or 1 license Home & Student £110...these are domestic versions...for business, its about £7 a user per month http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/business/products/office-365 The mobile versions are the full version, not the cut down version...

Office 365 is Office Professional, which is the best part of 400 quid for a one off license., home and business is one off £200..ff you have say 3 or 4 machines, office can work out to be £15 or so per license per year...that includes outlook, publisher, etc... by all means, spend three or four lots of 200 or 400 quid....with office 365, you always get the latest version, with the paid for one license, you effectively draw a line in the sand...you're choice...

As I said before, companies were losing money hand over fist in pirated versions / installing on multiple machines when you shouldn't have...locking the licenses down through, say Microsoft ID, makes sense on their side..

...which saves you £60 a year (office 365 1 PC license for a year, 1 mobile) £80 a year (office 365 5 PC licenses, 5 mobile) or 1 license Home & Student £110...these are domestic versions...for business, its about £7 a user per month http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/business/products/office-365 The mobile versions are the full version, not the cut down version...

Office 365 is Office Professional, which is the best part of 400 quid for a one off license., home and business is one off £200..ff you have say 3 or 4 machines, office can work out to be £15 or so per license per year...that includes outlook, publisher, etc... by all means, spend three or four lots of 200 or 400 quid....with office 365, you always get the latest version, with the paid for one license, you effectively draw a line in the sand...you're choice...

As I said before, companies were losing money hand over fist in pirated versions / installing on multiple machines when you shouldn't have...locking the licenses down through, say Microsoft ID, makes sense on their side..

Microsoft dont sell the PCs ( much)

My point about 365 is that it requires internet, and I have had several clients where the PCs just lose their access, the accounts dont work for reload and it not EASY to recover..

Yesterday, the log in in word said "logged in"....yet ( inspite of being installed March this year), a warning was coming up saying the account wasnt recognised, then another one that didnt end saying setting up your office for first use.

True there was trojans on the machine before then, but it wasnt possible to recover with the information saved on the clients desktop, so I have to go back to the original keys and re download.

nightmare....good for my business though, until the client says "NO MORE MS".

Software: Office Home and Student, non subscription, no CD, download keys only, 2013.

Microsoft dont sell the PCs ( much)

My point about 365 is that it requires internet, and I have had several clients where the PCs just lose their access, the accounts dont work for reload and it not EASY to recover..

Yesterday, the log in in word said "logged in"....yet ( inspite of being installed March this year), a warning was coming up saying the account wasnt recognised, then another one that didnt end saying setting up your office for first use.

True there was trojans on the machine before then, but it wasnt possible to recover with the information saved on the clients desktop, so I have to go back to the original keys and re download.

nightmare....good for my business though, until the client says "NO MORE MS".

Software: Office Home and Student, non subscription, no CD, download keys only, 2013.

I don't even know you if you can MS H&S on disc any more...I haven't seen it....By all means use Libre Office or OO, but when you open an MS document in it, in my experience, it puts the formatting to pot...

I don't even know you if you can MS H&S on disc any more...I haven't seen it....By all means use Libre Office or OO, but when you open an MS document in it, in my experience, it puts the formatting to pot...

You still can...you download the image and copy it yourself...still needs an on line activation and MS account to work though.

I dont know what it is about 2013 and my clients, but one just simply lost his entire installation one day...googling at that time revealed it was very common...needed a fresh download..