House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

Failure Of Work Programme A "scandal"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-failure-of-idss-work-programme-is-a-scandal-9842188.html

The companies running the Government’s flagship scheme to cut joblessness have backtracked on promises to focus on hard-to-help claimants, a MPs’ report published today says.
The Public Accounts Committee denounced the failure to target more help on the most difficult cases as a “scandal”.
Firms operating the Work Programme are spending less than half the amount they had originally pledged on claimants with disabilities such as mental health problems. Such groups are being “parked” as the firms focus on finding jobs for people considered easier to help into employment, the PAC said.
In a damning verdict on the programme, which was launched three years ago, the MPs accused Iain Duncan Smith’s Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) of failing to give incentives to providers to support harder-to-help claimants to find a job.
Almost 90 per cent of claimants of Employment and Support Allowance, which is paid to the sick and disabled, who are on the Work Programme have not been found jobs.
Margaret Hodge, the PAC's chairman, said: “Evidence shows differential payments have not stopped contractors from focusing on easier-to-help individuals and parking harder-to-help claimants, often those with a range of disabilities including mental health challenges.
“Data from Work Programme providers shows that they are, on average, spending less than half what they originally promised on these harder to help groups.
“It is a scandal that some of those in greatest need of support are not getting the help they need to get them back to work and are instead being parked by providers because their case is deemed just too hard.
“The Department must do more to encourage providers to work with harder-to-help groups.”
Mrs Hodge also warned that the DWP’s sanctions regime could cause “significant financial hardship” to individuals.
“Feedback from some constituents suggests the number of sanctions has been increasing, and some providers have been recommending sanctions more than others,” she said.
A DWP spokesman said: “As this report says, the Work Programme is helping more people than any previous employment programme, with over 330,000 people moving into lasting work and finally gaining the economic security that comes with a regular pay packet.
“The Work Programme has contributed to the largest drop in long-term unemployment in a generation and providers are paid by results, with more money for the hardest to reach, but only if they get those people back into lasting work.”

Just what is IDS for? He must have something serious on someone to allow him to carry on..

You do realise, "hard to help" is a euphemism for those claimants who are unemployable and will - in that famous phrase - do whatever is necessary to make sure they remain that way?

With a token few "exceptions to prove the rule" who are hard to help due to a disability that makes it very hard to be of any value to an employer.

It`s difficult to know what you mean porca. Are you saying that there are a group which wont work (90%) and that these people can be used by IDS to scam millions from taxpayers?

Isn`t this a scam on a scam....the Tory hallmark?

Edited by council dweller

I'm convinced IDS has something on someone as well.

He's a thick belligerent bully and liar but somehow stays in office.

Or maybe something about his personality appeals to the party faithful.

Failure Of Work Programme A "scandal"

I agree.....low hanging fruit, easy enough......the people that need the most help to find a job are ignored, the work programme created work programme jobs ...... not enough time and investment put into helping those that are finding it the hardest to find jobs, they don't matter to them. :ph34r:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/05/work-programme-adviser-box-ticking-sanctioning-sick-people

"he believes many of her clients had been wrongly assessed as fit to work. “I had a woman with multiple sclerosis who had been domestically abused and was suffering from very severe depression and anxiety, and she had a degenerative condition and she was deemed fit for work,” she says. “I gave people advice under the radar about how to appeal ... but it was absolutely not in our remit to encourage people to appeal"

"Hale says she got a letter from Seetec, the WP provider, saying that the centre she had to attend for her interviews had moved to Woolwich [south London]. “I looked it up and it involved taking two trains and walking almost a mile. I advised them my WCA said I can’t walk more than 200 metres and requested adjustments. I never got any reply to that letter or any other letter I’ve ever written to Seetec,” she says. “Then I started getting letters mandating me to four-hour workshops three days a week for four weeks in a row. My WCA report says I can’t sit for more than an hour without pain or discomfort so I wrote and pointed this out.”"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/thousands-with-degenerative-conditions-classified-as-fit-to-work-in-future--despite-no-possibility-of-improvement-9811910.html

More than a third of people with degenerative conditions such as Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis are having their benefits slashed because the Department for Work and Pensions deems they will recover enough to look for work.

Thousands of those with diseases that only worsen with time - and who have become too ill to work - are being denied full Employment Support Allowance. Instead they are assessed as suitable for work-related activity which is designed for people likely to recover to the point where they can seek employment.

Edited by Flopsy

Being as the Tory/Liberal government has been a total failure at absolutely everything theyve done, this programme is in keeping with that thus i cant see how IDS stands out anymore than say a Gidiot or Mrs May.

Sometimes I think people are unduly critical of government. DWP could have done nothing, continued with the status quo and largely avoided criticism. Instead they came up with an innovative idea to get the private sector to help train people.

I don't think the scheme has been a complete success, but equally it is not a complete disaster. This particular article criticises the amount of effort being put in to support a small group of people on the Work Programme. It was always thought that it would be very hard to find this group jobs (some are almost twice as hard as ex-prisoners), so the financial reward for finding them a job is very high. Clearly, it is not high enough as some Work Programme providers are not really trying. That doesn't mean the scheme is the worst thing ever or "a scandal", just that the fees for this group should be higher and others lower. Invent, refine, perfect etc.

Sometimes I think people are unduly critical of government. DWP could have done nothing, continued with the status quo and largely avoided criticism. Instead they came up with an innovative idea to get the private sector to help train people.

I don't think the scheme has been a complete success, but equally it is not a complete disaster. This particular article criticises the amount of effort being put in to support a small group of people on the Work Programme. It was always thought that it would be very hard to find this group jobs (some are almost twice as hard as ex-prisoners), so the financial reward for finding them a job is very high. Clearly, it is not high enough as some Work Programme providers are not really trying. That doesn't mean the scheme is the worst thing ever or "a scandal", just that the fees for this group should be higher and others lower. Invent, refine, perfect etc.

Ever been on "the work programme"? I have..I was on the precursor of this - the new deal - twice..it was a shambles then, and its still a shambles..it seems nothing has changed...surprise surprise...

Yes well, I`ll be signing on with the ESA in a few weeks time, presumably they`ll not find me a job and then sanction me Money will then flow back to the Tory party.

I`ll let you know how I get on.

Corruption is the word I`d use....

Edited by council dweller

This poll was taken in May... It seems he's very good at self promotion and spin, rather than his job..

I think we're past the point on this where failure - defined by chanelling huge taxpayer funding into an anti-welfare marketing exercise and stuffing over electoral groups you don't care about - was obviously the entire point. He polls well because that was his job, and enough people agree with him even if it and he are the complete antithesis of any real 'conservative' principle.