House Price Crash Forum

Alex Salmond Bonfire Effigy 'not Burned'

thecrashingisles

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29921797

Alex Salmond bonfire effigy 'not burned'

Two effigies of Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond have been withdrawn from bonfire celebrations in an English town after a storm of protest on social media.

Thousands of people attended the bonfire celebrations in the East Sussex town of Lewes.

Sussex Police said the effigies of Mr Salmond would not now be set alight.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

They have burned all sorts of similar effergies of politicians before that have barely raised a whimper.

Its just the SNP bad losers getting something new to get excited about.

HOLA443
HOLA444

AH yes. Not sure when exactly our police stopped being police and started being a nationalized HRM department, but they cant help but stick their noses in.

st before 21:00 on Wednesday, Sussex Police tweeted: "For those enquiring we have been advised that there won't be any burning of the Alex Salmond effigies this evening in Lewes."

A Sussex Police statement said: "We are aware of the portrayal of Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond as an effigy at the 2014 Lewes Bonfire event and acknowledge that concerns have been raised.

HOLA445

They have burned all sorts of similar effergies of politicians before that have barely raised a whimper.

Its just the SNP bad losers getting something new to get excited about.

I find it quite disappointing that you think burning an effigie of someone (who happens to be well respected) is an acceptable thing to do.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I find it quite disappointing that you think burning an effigie of someone (who happens to be well respected) is an acceptable thing to do.

You could address my point that its clearly just people getting their knickers in a twist about something they haven't bothered about before .....

I await you producing your thread of dislike of the previous burnings that have been conducted of politicians previously.

PS - 'well respected' is a matter of opinion and certainly not the thoughts of a huge number of people in Scotland.

HOLA448

You could address my point that its clearly just people getting their knickers in a twist about something they haven't bothered about before .....

I await you producing your thread of dislike of the previous burnings that have been conducted of politicians previously.

PS - 'well respected' is a matter of opinion and certainly not the thoughts of a huge number of people in Scotland.

I had never heard of this event before. It seems a lot like what you see on the TV when Muslims get all upset about something.

Alex Salmond is a hugely popular figure in Scotland. Did you not see the reaction he got during the referendum campaign when he was out and about campaigning. People were getting their photos taken with him and everything. It was like a rock star was strolling down the street when he visited Dundee. To a large percentage of people in Scotland he is a hero. Just because your opinion of him is negative doesn't mean that the majority of people agree with you.

HOLA449

I had never heard of this event before. It seems a lot like what you see on the TV when Muslims get all upset about something.

Alex Salmond is a hugely popular figure in Scotland. Did you not see the reaction he got during the referendum campaign when he was out and about campaigning. People were getting their photos taken with him and everything. It was like a rock star was strolling down the street when he visited Dundee. To a large percentage of people in Scotland he is a hero. Just because your opinion of him is negative doesn't mean that the majority of people agree with you.

Maggie was very popular too.

She was also unpopular to a vociferous group too.

Her effigy was burned in bonfires on Guy Fawkes, in the street in demonstrations, her funeral protested against.

Yet all this was carried on it seems with no arrests, no police turning up at bonfires.

What makes Salmand so special.

I agree with CCC, there is a group of people for whom any views that differ from their own, are "deeply offensive" and deserve Police action...sort of Radical Brits if you like.

HOLA4410

Maggie was very popular too.

She was also unpopular to a vociferous group too.

Her effigy was burned in bonfires on Guy Fawkes, in the street in demonstrations, her funeral protested against.

Yet all this was carried on it seems with no arrests, no police turning up at bonfires.

What makes Salmand so special.

I agree with CCC, there is a group of people for whom any views that differ from their own, are "deeply offensive" and deserve Police action...sort of Radical Brits if you like.

I was reading more into this and it turns out that there was a 45 logo on the Salmond effigy and also a nessy effigy. Better together eh. They actually did go ahead and set it on fire with fireworks. This Tally's with the reaction the day after the referendum from the thousands of English people I was on holiday with (cruise ship). Nasty atmosphere.

Burning effigies of anyone that is alive today is a pretty disgusting thing to do. The same council burned an effigy of Angela Merkel doing a Nazi salute a couple of years ago.

I am glad the SNP are dominating in the polls.

HOLA4411

^ So ask yourself why its only Salmond that got anyone so worked up enough to call the police in numbers for this event ?

Step back from your own views and opinions for a second - and try and take a different view.

HOLA4412

So whose effigies did get burned in Lewes this year?

Russian President Vladimir Putin and European leader Jose Manuel Barroso are among those being burned in effigy during British bonfire celebrations this week.
(Site linked hangs for a minute if you click on it)

HOLA4413

^ So ask yourself why its only Salmond that got anyone so worked up enough to call the police in numbers for this event ?

Step back from your own views and opinions for a second - and try and take a different view.

I think it is more to do with the fact that it wasn't so much Salmond being burned but supporters of Independence / Scottish in general. Why was there a 45 logo? Why was Nessie there? Why was there images of Oil drums. This wasn't just about Alex Salmond, it was burning an effigy of 45% (and growing) of the population of Scotland.

This wasn't the burning of an effigy of an individual (that is still wrong) this was the burning of an effigy representing more than a million people.

How well do you think it would have went down with the English if I decided to create a 20 foot tall effigy of the Queen, Will, Charles, etc. draped a 100 foot long English flag around them, added some morris dancer effigies and set fire to the lot. Just imagine I did this just over a month after there was a referendum on whether or not the English wanted to leave the UK and the vote was NO with 45% being for it.

HOLA4414
snip

How well do you think it would have went down with the English if I decided to create a 20 foot tall effigy of the Queen, Will, Charles, etc. draped a 100 foot long English flag around them, added some morris dancer effigies and set fire to the lot. Just imagine I did this just over a month after there was a referendum on whether or not the English wanted to leave the UK and the vote was NO with 45% being for it.

That would call for a bit of the old Prima Nochta....

HOLA4415

Doubt many people would be all that bothered.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lancashire burnt various effigies representing Yorkshire, Yorkshire burnt ones of Lanchashire, and both of them set fire to London, and I doubt many people really cared either.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I think it is more to do with the fact that it wasn't so much Salmond being burned but supporters of Independence / Scottish in general. Why was there a 45 logo? Why was Nessie there? Why was there images of Oil drums. This wasn't just about Alex Salmond, it was burning an effigy of 45% (and growing) of the population of Scotland.

This wasn't the burning of an effigy of an individual (that is still wrong) this was the burning of an effigy representing more than a million people.

Who cares ? Nowt much else to say on the matter. Its a regular event taking the piss out of famous works leaders.

Nessie, the 45 etc ?

What else would you expect them to drape the leader of the SNP in ? A David Beckham England top ?

Come on - its ridiculous. No other one has ended in the police being involved. Its only SNP supporters who are bothered by this - they need to get a grip of themselves.

HOLA4419

BBC has an update:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29929438

Alex Salmond effigy was blown up in Lewes

An effigy of Alex Salmond was blown up during bonfire celebrations in Lewes despite assurances that it would not be burned, it has emerged.

The effigy was one of two which were due to have been burned at the annual celebrations in the East Sussex town.

They were said by police to have been withdrawn after protests on social media.

But photographs have emerged which shows one of them being blown up in a firework display.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Love it - sticking two fingers up to PC Britain.

These people should be Knighted :)

Who cares ? Nowt much else to say on the matter. Its a regular event taking the piss out of famous works leaders.

Nessie, the 45 etc ?

What else would you expect them to drape the leader of the SNP in ? A David Beckham England top ?

Come on - its ridiculous. No other one has ended in the police being involved. Its only SNP supporters who are bothered by this - they need to get a grip of themselves.

I care plus up to 45% of Scotland. You obviously don't care, being part of the traitorous 55% that have sold Scotland down the river believing "the vow".

45% is not an SNP movement.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived