House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Giving Up On Smartphones

I've done this and was chatting to somebody else at work and they have too.

For both of us it was their continuous time-wasting distraction as they do a hundred and one things you don't need and let you check for things every five minutes that can perfectly well wait to find out when you get home.

I find the site of people staring into their fines doing that vertical finger swipe that shows they're reading endless Facebook updates very depressing.

Anybody else joining us?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/201649-government-crackdown-on-mobile-notspots-hilarious-point-on-bbc/

I keep trying to leave Whatsapp - I was on it for a year and then they wanted money so I stopped using it. A week or so goes by and then they tell me that I have a month free... so I use it... and then they want money... so I stop using it... and then they tell me that I have another month free...

I suspect the more they try to charge for all these services the more people will switch off.

Can't use mine without reading glasses on so almost impossible to use it whilst out and about. Can work the camera on it without though, which I absolutely love.
I did get a shinier phone but really missed the good camera on the one I have.

I find the site of people staring into their fines doing that vertical finger swipe that shows they're reading endless Facebook updates very depressing.

I think the auto-correct on your smartphone has given you away.

Everything that Frank has ever written on here has been a lie. It is like discovering that Mr. Pin is an actual real person.

No, that can't be true!

In my defence I was trying to do an email, and a text, and this post all at the same time.

I'm not sure I dare go and read the other two.

Anybody else joining us?

I can happily state that I've never owned one. Sadly, my lovely Nokia 3120 has just recently been sucked to death by my little one, and thus I am phoneless. I did briefly consider 'upgrading' (shudder) to some kind of Android thingy, but then quickly came to my senses and ordered the exact same model (used) from ebay :)

No, that can't be true!

I am afraid it it. Mr. Pin is a bot that has become self-aware.

So self-aware that it thinks that it is a poster on an internet forum wanting to buy a house in the UK.

Totally absurd.

The sort of things that you can do simultaneously on your smartphone?

That'll be them :unsure:

I am afraid it it. Mr. Pin is a bot that has become self-aware.

So self-aware that it thinks that it is a poster on an internet forum wanting to buy a house in the UK.

Totally absurd.

Thinking back he used to look like this:

new-terminator-film-titled-terminator-ge

And is slowly morphing into a human, currently at the soft glove puppet stage:

_57079842_57078635.jpg

I joined you in 2011 after owning a smartphone for a year. There are some useful things like GPS but I don't have the sort of hectic social life or work calendar that requires checking every five minutes. As you say most things can wait till I get home or to work.

I found I was doing things like checking facebook in bed instead of, you know, trying to get to sleep.

In future if there's a really revolutionary technology like implanted communications I would consider getting that.

No, because I find my phone a bit too useful.... i.e. checking the weather, checking when the next bus is due, listening to music, keeping up with the latest moaning on HPC.co.uk :)

But then, I never joined Facebook, so I don't feel any compulsion to find out what some guy I vaguely knew from school is doing or thinking right now.

They can be very useful. So best of just deleting all apps you feel are a waste of time.

I did that with FB - don't miss it at all.

Not giving up, because never tried one....would have to stand on a hill with the wind blowing in the right direction to undertake that life changing opportunity.

No, because I find my phone a bit too useful.... i.e. checking the weather, checking when the next bus is due, listening to music, keeping up with the latest moaning on HPC.co.uk :)

But then, I never joined Facebook, so I don't feel any compulsion to find out what some guy I vaguely knew from school is doing or thinking right now.

Agreed, simply delete the apps that distract.

Don't use twitter (at all) or Facebook (on the phone).

Only work email on the thing.

Like it for the weather, maps, camera, phone calls, texts and checking prices online.

Neo luddite or just the ssmartphone?

A few walkers nearly collided with me on the street so engrossed with their phone. Though they could have been looking at the screen watching a projection of the street ahead. Maybe they were watching a dancing cat.

I am considering ditching the smartphone After seeing so many people who appear 'in the matrix'.