House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Why Do People Try To Sell Things On Social Networking Web Sites?

Just seen a friend of a friend trying to sell their fridge on Facebook. Photos description etc etc.

Won't touch eBay as they're a bit scared.

Why?

Ebay also have ridiculous fees and then hit you with the double whammy of PayPal fees too. Unless you're selling something high end and/or the buyer collects it can be difficult to actually make money on anything.

Ebay/Paypal take a huge cut. I personally wouldn't bother with advertising via social networking sites, but I do wish there were more competition in the online auction market.

Facebook is used quite extensively to sell counterfeit goods in the run up to Christmas believe it or not.

E Bay want all your banking details and ID before you can sell. They used to force you to use paypal, I`m not sure if they still do. All sorts of selling fees. Personally I detest them.

I don't mind eBay - we have sold quite a few things on it, but buyer to collect and cash only. Best sale was an old Hostess trolley - never thought anyone would want it, but someone came from the other side of London and paid £80. :-).

There are loads of local buy/sell groups on FB and I know people who happily use these to buy / sell.

As they're local you go round and pick them up and have a look at them first. So no delivery and you're not (presumably) going to get ripped off.

I'd not heard of this until yesterday (I only log into facebook every now and then) I came across a facebook group that was for selling/advertising items in our local area. When I clicked into it the photo had been changed to a statement which said something along the lines of 'The owners/operators of the group have been receiving threats/abuse from other facebook members, as have the people listing their items for sale, so we have had to close the group'

Nice! what's wrong with gumtree anyway, as far as I know that's free?

Ebay/Paypal take a huge cut. I personally wouldn't bother with advertising via social networking sites, but I do wish there were more competition in the online auction market.

Trouble is, it would be very hard for any new company to compete. People selling stuff via auction will naturally gravitate towards the site that has the most users and therefore the best chance of selling their stuff for the highest price.

Online auction services are an example of where the market favours one dominant player, especially when it has almost universal brand recognition.

Facebook is used quite extensively to sell counterfeit goods in the run up to Christmas believe it or not.

Fireworks, booze, ciggies, clothes, tons of shoes at the moment.

Looks like a shoplifter's window!

I thought gumtree was based on paying cash on collection.

Tis I think.

We were at the police station a month ago and whilst waiting we overheard someone asking for a pedlars licence. There's currently a 4-5 month wait for them to be issued. You need a new one annually.

You don't need one to sell crap on ebay/gumtree/facebook... and they don't offer you any protection from dodgy stuff.. so what's a pedlar's licence all about?

I thought gumtree was based on paying cash on collection.

For the most part but there are a number of PayPal and Western Union based scams out there. I think there are also quite a few timewasters. Probably easier for people to try friends and relatives first.

Ebay are very strict on sellers if the buyer makes a complaint. After being stung badly on a £50 sale I have stopped selling unwanted household goods etc. on ebay.

My sister has a small business selling trinkets, her main market is on facebook.

I have recently used Facebook local selling groups to get rid of some stuff with reasonable success, a few hundred quid raised.

Decent area though but still there are a few dodgy tales of gypos and pikeys wandering into people's house mob-handed to collect.

Biggest problem with ebay isn't scam sellers it's scam buyers abusing the various buyer protection measures. My suspicion is that ebay is a business run by focus group ie a load of stay-at-home mothers, with time on their hands, are dragged away from Mumsnet and interrogated, in a middling hotel somewhere, about why they don't buy more on ebay.

The problem is that what customers say in surveys they want and how they actually behave is massively different. Firstly most of the best customers can't be arsed doing surveys. Secondly there's all sorts of reasons why they may not be a customer, such as they're short of money, and they're never going to say that to an audience at a focus group.

Consequently, I suspect ebay constantly hear 'fear of being ripped off', 'shipping costs', 'fast delivery'.

The first one is the issue for most people that want to sell either surplus household goods or actually run a business. Ebay has so many protections in place in an attempt to assuage the perceived fear of being ripped off, which is as much informed by news stories than personal experience, that it's just become an incitement for buyers to defraud people selling things on there.

The second one is dealt with by encouraging free shipping, that isn't really free but loaded in the price. This makes it easier for customers to work out how much they are spending but makes selling prices expensive for customers that want more than one item. It also now makes it impossible to sell price-marked own label goods, for instore sale, as customers complain the shipping wasn't 'free'.

Thirdly fast delivery is what they say they want but they certainly don't want to pay for it. Hardly anyone will ever pay extra for faster delivery.

A general point with all modern retail be it Amazon, Ebay or Tesco their biggest problem is they are not really retailers, in any true sense now, rather just fulfilment operations providing customers with something they've already established the want. Where retail really works is by selling people a load of stuff they didn't know they wanted before they started shopping. There is no ability to source and merchandise great products in a way that encourages people to buy them.

Most ebay sales are certainly just a single item. Amazon fares a bit better with 'customers also bought' but that goes badly wrong sometimes when it suggests things like a customer buying a personal security rape alarm also bought a book about Britain's most horrific rape cases.

Most ebay sales are certainly just a single item. Amazon fares a bit better with 'customers also bought' but that goes badly wrong sometimes when it suggests things like a customer buying a personal security rape alarm also bought a book about Britain's most horrific rape cases.

But did they get the sale?

I'm a Gumtree buying fan. You go round the vendor's house, check the item over, pay cash and job done. Last purchase was a good petrol strimmer at £50. I've bought lots off local Gumtree: bike, canoe, water butt, compost bin, etc - and nary a problem.

But did they get the sale?

Maybe some work for Miyagi there as I have long been dubious with a lot of online 'customers also bought' options if they could produce records of a single transaction where a customer did actually place an order containing those two items.

It would be unheard if for one of my customers to buy an expensive brand socket set and also two other cheap import brands of the exact same type of socket set in one transaction but a lot of online retail sites imply this is normal customer practice.

Things we sell that a search engine has found a word the same in the title is what it ought to be called - in fairness I think Amazon's is based on actual historical transactions. It does tempt me into always ensuring I buy totally unrelated products in a single order.

Guest Jemmy Button

I gave up selling stuff on eBay a long time ago. Paypal/fees killed it for me. Ain't no point.

Nice! what's wrong with gumtree anyway, as far as I know that's free?

It is free, I think, however I thought Gumtree was owned by ebay?