House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Government Crackdown On Mobile 'notspots' - Hilarious Point On Bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29897202

The government plans to oblige mobile operators to improve their coverage, possibly by sharing rivals' networks.

Partial 'notspots', where there is coverage from some but not all of the mobile networks, affected a fifth of the UK, leaving people unable to make calls or send texts, it said.

One possible solution would see people transferred to rival networks when they lose signal.

But experts are not convinced this would work.

Culture Secretary Sajid Javid said he was determined to sort out the issue of mobile notspots.

Not sure who they had on BBC news earlier this morning discussing this, but one serious point made about why this wouldn't work is that it takes around 5-6 minutes for your phone to switch networks and this would mean you wouldn't be able use your data allowance and connect to facebook/twitter etc....

All this was said with a straight face, it appears that people can't do without facebook for 6 minutes otherwise there life has no meaning!

Not quite so simple. in order to use another network abroad, you have to have an account with that network, or more commonly, your domestic network has a roaming agreement with the foreign network.

While all the UK networks could have roaming agreements with each other, the result could be that you are likely to end up on random UK networks all the time.

Your mobile should search for your home network preferentially; but once a call is established on another network, in-call transfer would be problematical.

Ooh, it's so important that you can phone up from wherever you are whenever the time! Geez, what's happened to people?

would be good here as vodaphone at least gets 1 bar all the time.

Every time this is mooted the mobile phone providers come up with 50 reasons why this would never work, blah blah blah...but as a consumer living in a rural area with poor mobile coverage I find it hard to come up with a convincing argument against it. IMHO it should have happened right from the start 20+ years ago when the GSM networks began rolling out in the UK.

I've used international roaming when abroad and it just works; I've found none of the downsides such as supposed poor battery life, continually switching networks during calls etc. Similarly we regularly have a friend stay with us from Cyprus and we often find the bizarre situation where her Cyta mobile phone gets a signal wherever we are by switching to whichever UK network it needs to work, whereas our UK phones won't work at all as our particular network is out of coverage.

All this talk of data being held up for 6 minutes is nonsense too. They are only considering linking the 2G networks. 3 & 4G won't be included at this stage. I don't know if you've every tried to use the internet via 2G for any length of time, but 6 minutes to switch networks is the least of your worries, under normal conditions it can take 6 minutes just to load one webpage!

The basic reason the UK mobile network providers don't like it is because it will cost them money without generating much extra revenue - end of story.

At least if you have a signal you have a choice. If you don't want to answer it just switch it off!

If you have no signal you have no choice, you're paying for a useless piece of plastic. It sod's law that it never gets a signal when you need to make an important call, but works perfectly when its a PPI claims company phoning..

We have real-life evidence of how network-hopping works every time we travel abroad. It's OK to do it abroad but not at home.

They charge you a premium whilst abroad. They are just scared of their profit margins and someone waking up and thinking that a country the size of the UK only needs one mobile phone company and probably a lot LESS masts - no need for all those duplicate masts in towns and cities.

You then go one step further and ask why people should be charged rip-off charges when roaming outside of the UK in places like Europe.

The government should start building a public network, and lease it to the service providers.

The government should do this with everything - phone networks, nuclear power stations, high speed trains, tidal barrages, hospitals and not give vast sums of our money to foreign firms who then charges us a fortune to use them.

Oh, but if that happened then the gravy train for politicians would come to a grinding halt.

The government should do this with everything - phone networks, nuclear power stations, high speed trains, tidal barrages, hospitals and not give vast sums of our money to foreign firms who then charges us a fortune to use them.

I'd rather no-one built half of those.

Every time this is mooted the mobile phone providers come up with 50 reasons why this would never work, blah blah blah...but as a consumer living in a rural area with poor mobile coverage I find it hard to come up with a convincing argument against it. IMHO it should have happened right from the start 20+ years ago when the GSM networks began rolling out in the UK.

I've used international roaming when abroad and it just works; I've found none of the downsides such as supposed poor battery life, continually switching networks during calls etc. Similarly we regularly have a friend stay with us from Cyprus and we often find the bizarre situation where her Cyta mobile phone gets a signal wherever we are by switching to whichever UK network it needs to work, whereas our UK phones won't work at all as our particular network is out of coverage.

All this talk of data being held up for 6 minutes is nonsense too. They are only considering linking the 2G networks. 3 & 4G won't be included at this stage. I don't know if you've every tried to use the internet via 2G for any length of time, but 6 minutes to switch networks is the least of your worries, under normal conditions it can take 6 minutes just to load one webpage!

The basic reason the UK mobile network providers don't like it is because it will cost them money without generating much extra revenue - end of story.

Thats the solution then. Get a mobile in Cyprus, and then use it to roam to any UK network.

I have a bog standard mobile phone that have had for ~10 years.....I can get an almost perfect roaming reception in the middle of the hardly any population European mountains that I can't get in a not a hot spot here in a medium populated area UK....I take a phone charger and not a problem at all, the battery is four or five years old....no problem at all.

Don't believe all their objections......we live in third world mobile phone state, not that I am bothered personally.... These phone cos have vested interests.... Not in the customers interests their own interests....they do not want to share their services.....but blame battery power....you couldn't make it up.

Legally the phone companies don't guarantee a service but on their websites they state a very high coverage in the 9x%. Clearly though some areas are totally buggered and have 0% coverage on certain networks. The problem is though you only get to know after a while and through word of mouth which network will work and which network you can only make calls from the loft :)

Legally the phone companies don't guarantee a service but on their websites they state a very high coverage in the 9x%. Clearly though some areas are totally buggered and have 0% coverage on certain networks. The problem is though you only get to know after a while and through word of mouth which network will work and which network you can only make calls from the loft :)

The whole point is that in Europe you can choose the best reception from all the available mobile phone companies...even if you have only signed up to one service provider....they all see that you get the best service/reception possible collectively....here it is a hit and miss service...none of them talk to each other.....crap service = not worth buying into their monthly service......pay as you go and get top notch service in another place....madness. ;)

"Third World" networks is a bit OTT when we now hold in our hands the most advanced items of communications technology ever devised and half our providers are bloated Euro corps anyway.

I lived for two years on the border of two european countries. I also never had any of the problems they claim would happen, despite my phone just always picking the best network to use.

I see a new objection, from the home office, is that network hopping would help terrorists!

"Third World" networks is a bit OTT when we now hold in our hands the most advanced items of communications technology ever devised and half our providers are bloated Euro corps anyway.

Unless Third World countries have communications networks that let you do all the communication that you actually need even if there are areas that leave the completely insecure panicking because there's a chance they'll have to rely on themselves for five seconds.

Thats the solution then. Get a mobile in Cyprus, and then use it to roam to any UK network.

The way the few available 'UK roaming' services work is not dissimilar to that except they use an Isle of Man sim rather than a Cypriot one. The advantage of a Manx sim is that it has a UK style number and dialling code but is treated as 'foreign' by the UK mobile networks, thus allowing roaming between networks within Britain.