House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Marks & Spencer Blames Warm Weather For 13Th Consecutive Decline In Clothing Sales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/marks--spencer-blames-warm-weather-for-13th-consecutive-decline-in-clothing-sales-9840092.html

Marks & Spencer has posted a fall in clothing sales for the 13 consecutive quarter, hit by the warm autumn weather.

The retail giant posted a 2.9 per cent slump in general merchandise sales at stores open longer than a year with clothing sales down 2.2 per cent in the first half.

M&S said the “unseasonal weather resulting in high levels of promotional activity across the market” had hit performance.

Under pressure chief executive Marc Bolland will hope a 1.3 per cent increase in womenswear sales in the first five months of the year will ease some of the criticism of his strategy to fight rivals.

M&S has losing out to rivals including rapidly growing discount fashion retailer Primark in the battle for clothing spend. Next revealed last week that the warm autumn weather had impacted its trading as winter clothing stock remained on the rails.

I think I could easily be a CEO, any success is down to my own brilliance any failure is down to warm weather, raining, snow, the World Cup was on, it was the previous management, leaves blow into the shop etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/marks--spencer-blames-warm-weather-for-13th-consecutive-decline-in-clothing-sales-9840092.html

I think I could easily be a CEO, any success is down to my own brilliance any failure is down to warm weather, raining, snow, the World Cup was on, it was the previous management, leaves blow into the shop etc...

Best give them a pay rise earning 100 times the lowest full time employees wages clearly isn't enough!

Why is it the Irish company Primark (now owned by a Brit institution), the Swedish company H&M and the Spanish company Inditex (Zara etc) have managed to expand and prosper worldwide over the last few years, but not M&S ? They all have access to new tech and/or cheap manufacturing facilities abroad. Surprising really, M&S do have a reputation abroad for quality - why can't they capitalise on that?

Edited by Trampa501

Last time I walked out of M&S empty handed, I'm afraid it was nothing to do with the weather. It may have been due to the fact that they didn't have anything that appealed to me or they dropped the line that pleased me. Times I came out thinking I had wasted my time

The Markets were apparently pleased with M and S results and led the rally in shares this morning. Still a muted performance compared to the DOW, DAX and Nikkei...guess UK seen as the runt of the litter just lately ran like a Banana Republic that wont even pay the tax it owes to Europe.

Edited by crashmonitor

In my case I have always found M&S to be min of 20% more expensive than many other retailers....and their merchandise is no longer British Made....why pay more there when you can get the same or very similar for less elsewhere....people don't generally like the feeling of being taken for a ride. ;)

So the warm weather hampered Next and M&S but not Primark?

exactly.

overpriced sh1t business model...lets speak plainly.

M&S used to have a reputation for quality.

in truth, their stuff is still reasonable, but others are supplying better quality goods cheaper.

The Markets were apparently pleased with M and S results and led the rally in shares this morning. Still a muted performance compared to the DOW, DAX and Nikkei...guess UK seen as the runt of the litter just lately ran like a Banana Republic that wont even pay the tax it owes to Europe.

It must be the output GAP they keep going on about.